Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
221 - 232 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had mine done last month and that pretty much sums up my experience as well. Much better than the stock tune.

I still wish the throttle response was better though. You'd think that with fuel injection being around for such a long time and being done so well on other bikes that Kawasaki would get their act together with the Versys.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just curious, how much does it cost to have the ECU reprogrammed? Sounds like there really isn’t a reason not to do it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Had mine done last month and that pretty much sums up my experience as well. Much better than the stock tune.

I still wish the throttle response was better though. You'd think that with fuel injection being around for such a long time and being done so well on other bikes that Kawasaki would get their act together with the Versys.

If you want more throttle response, you're going to need a larger engine!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
ok, maybe I am not sensitive enough as many of your are. I really feel no difference between oem tune and the new flash. the bike was running great before as well. but I did cancel the O2 sensor and fitted the booster plug.

·
Premium Member
9,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Kris, are we talking the MK-3 650? I know that @quexpress ran a booster plug before he got the flash, lots of discussion about the difference between the booster plug and flash.
What I am going to say, I couldn't ride in 6th gear below 70 Km/ HR , definitely not at 60 KM/HR , many of our roads have posted speeds of 80 KM/HR and reductions to 60 KM/HR in small towns and villages . I ride about 90% of my time using my highway pegs, they allow me to push back against the pillion seat and transfer some of the road bumps through my legs. So each village, before the flash, involved downshifting to 4th or 3rd , then later, upshifting. I can now ride, uphill in 6th at 60 KM/HR, I can also ride down to 2000 RPM , but the need to downshift makes sense on acceleration at that RPM in 6th.
So my point of making this post, going from a unflashed, non booster plug MK-3 to a flashed ECU on a MK 3 is significant.
Your post may give a new member some doubts about is it worth the money. Steve has explained the difference between a proper fuel map using the new flash compared to just adding more fuel with the booster plug.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
onewizard, yes, i am sure that there is a big difference. maybe I have just forgotten :). yes, i have 2020 model.

·
Premium Member
9,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
My bike is 6 years old- wow!!
Need to strip it down this winter, the trekker racks need repainting and I need to remove the rad and get the 1000nds of bugs out. Hoping to get another 2000 km in. Possible 600 Km ride on Monday.

·
Registered
453 Posts
My wish is to get rid of the most sudden fuel cut and sudden engine braking when you release the throttle - it really annoys me . This is a problem for me in some bends, I get into the bend and release the throttle a bit and then the engine braking starts immediately. Several times I almost fell because of it in a bend.
Now the least problem is to send the ECU to Steve to "remake" it, the fun starts when the ECU returns to my state and then the customs starts with their taxes and all that similar nonsense so I think all in all that procedure would cost me about $ 500. Which is not a small thing.
So I will still have to stick to OEM settings. Maybe in the future.

In Europe, I found only one company in Greece that does ECU flash for Versys 650, and it is only from 2007-2017. And my is 2018. need to send them ECU part number so he can check can he tuned it, and how much cost that job.

This is what they offer for 2015-2017 model V650, I assume that same is for 2018 model if they can tuned it.
The re-flash offer:
New fuel tables(this engine is tuned per cylinder)
New ignition timing tables
New sub-throttle tables
New rev limiter at 10.300 rpm
New stationary rev limiter at requested rpm
Disable deceleration fuel cut for perfect throttle response
Disable O2 closed loop function and error code
Disable PAIR valve error code or set in closed position
Disable low gear power limiters
New fan working range that open at 96 and close at 92 degrees celsius
Built in quick shifter function

·
Registered
315 Posts
In Europe, I found only one company in Greece that does ECU flash for Versys 650, and it is only from 2007-2017. And my is 2018. need to send them ECU part number so he can check can he tuned it, and how much cost that job.
"Steve" does have someone in Germany that can flash his tune onto your ECU - Contact him and he will advise by return (y)

·
Registered
453 Posts
"Steve" does have someone in Germany that can flash his tune onto your ECU - Contact him and he will advise by return (y)
Thank you for that information :)
I will need to check that. But for now I will continue to ride OEM settings. I am currently waiting for a change of job. If I manage to solve this, then the ECU flash will be enabled financially much easier than now.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Thank you for that information :)
I will need to check that. But for now I will continue to ride OEM settings. I am currently waiting for a change of job. If I manage to solve this, then the ECU flash will be enabled financially much easier than now.
The email address is <[email protected]>. The name is Michael, and he will take care of your flash. I did with him 2 Ecu flashes for 650 and 1000. Unfortunately, I got totally ripped off by the customs in Thailand. They basically charged me as if for importing a brand new ECU. And here it is 30% plus VAT and other charges.

221 - 232 of 232 Posts