Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone !
I dont like the way the bike react opening /closing the throttle and im thinking of sending my ecu to be flashed.
Been doing some research on different forum and different bikes and "shodaben and 2wheel dyno" seem to be highly regarded for that job.
Which one would you guys recommend and why ? (This is not a brand war so please keep it to facts)
Thanks !!

·
Registered
59 Posts
There's lots of posts on this forum of people having their ECU flashed for this reason. I have yet to see one person who wasn't happy with it afterwards. I sent mine out to Steve (shoodaben) a couple months ago and it is much better than it was before the flash and I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Shoodaben's service totally transformed my 2015. I doubt many folks, if any, have tried both, which would be the only way to compare.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just had my ECU flashed by Steve with shoodaben.
My bike is a 21 650LT with 1800 miles on it when flashed.
300 miles or so before removing the ECU I adjusted my throttle cable and chain so everything would still be in spec for a more accurate comparison after the flash.

My results mirror everything most people say about the flash. Better all around usable power, smoother in the lower revs, seemingly less vibration but this could be because I’m able to comfortably ride in different rpm ranges than before.
The snatchy throttle is almost completely cured in gears 2-6, with just a very mild and forgivable roll on blip in certain rpms while in first.
Deceleration is much smoother and less aggressive, fuel cut off is definitely gone.

Only thing mildly less fun is it’s more difficult to bump up wheelies now because the throttle is so much tamer, on the other hand the bike power wheelies away from stops much easier because the power is in a more usable range. Absolutely no need to ring the bike out anymore, the power feels the same, just in a better rpm range.

The flash is exactly as it’s named, how the bike should’ve been from the factory.

Ultimately I would pay for it again if I had to.
Made the bike way more fun, I would never say it’s a 100% necessary mod to do, but it’s absolutely not a mod you’ll ever regret.

Turnaround time from shipping to receiving my ECU back from Steve was 7 days.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I do have to laugh when I see guys posting about wheeling their V650's. No disrepect to anyone but I just don't ride this bike that way. My previous bike before this had so much HP that the V650 is a walk in the park in comparison.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I do have to laugh when I see guys posting about wheeling their V650's. No disrepect to anyone but I just don't ride this bike that way. My previous bike before this had so much HP that the V650 is a walk in the park in comparison.
This is the smallest street legal bike I’ve ever owned, just can’t help but flick it around sometimes

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's awesome! I'm not knocking anyone for how they ride their bike. Go out and ride it like you stole it. :p

For me personally it's such a huge step backwards as far as power delivery goes that I don't feel the need to try to do anything crazy on it. I just want to soak up miles with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got the 2WDW and I love it, definitely it's the only mod that I would say it's required.
I plan eventually on driving to 2WDW and have a custom map done in the future.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, pick the one that you like most and go for it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2018 and the difference was like the difference between night and day. Before it was jerky on the lower speeds and shutting down the throttle was like throwing an anchor out. I liked the motorcycle before but now I really like it. It's smooth at all speeds. I had tried a Booster Plug before and it made a little difference but not enough to count. Steve at Shoodaben does an amazing job. I wish I had done it when I bought the bike new two and a half years ago but instead I waited until just last month.

Anybody want a Booster Plug?

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT + various accessories
36 Posts
Curious - with Shoodaben's does one need to permanently disconnect the O2 sensor or was it just unplug the ECU, send it for re-flashing, then plug it back in and ride?

(I hate that I'm feeling that I have to do this for a gen-3 motorcycle. I really like the bike but the jerky throttle and loud clunky gear shifting is something Kawi should have dealt with years ago.)

·
Premium Member
10,044 Posts
Curious - with Shoodaben's does one need to permanently disconnect the O2 sensor or was it just unplug the ECU, send it for re-flashing, then plug it back in and ride?

(I hate that I'm feeling that I have to do this for a gen-3 motorcycle. I really like the bike but the jerky throttle and loud clunky gear shifting is something Kawi should have dealt with years ago.)
The 02 is electronically disconnected

Reactions: mbjenkins

·
Premium Member
10,044 Posts
The ECU when flashed has the 02 sensor turned off.I have the flash on my 2015, the 02 sensor is still connected, in place, and does absolutely nothing. You take the bike in for a safety inspection, hey I see your 02 sensor isn't connected -oops

Here is my conversation;

onewizard

Premium Member

Joined Nov 29, 2008
9,819 Posts
Hi Steve, I watched your video on removal, one thing I noticed was the disconnecting of the oxygen sensor, my sensor is still attached, I know you mentioned that the input/use of is disabled. Does it matter? I am guessing the heater is still active so I would gain a small watt increase.
Steve in Sunny Fl
Registered

Joined Nov 29, 2016
285 Posts
I did the part about d'cing the sensor as an abundance of caution. it's shut off internally, so no need to disconnect. you can if you want to, but It won't affect the engine operation at all.
Sorry for the late reply.

Reactions: mbjenkins

·
Premium Member
10,044 Posts
I'd be curious to know if that's still part of his tuning process. That's not one of the things he lists on his website as tuning changes he makes.

@Steve in Sunny Fl can you shed some light on this?
What you see above is a copied PM from Steve one month ago, both my question and his answer

but feel free to ask him yourself. It is also posted here;

Reactions: Jailer

·
Registered
477 Posts
Also I am thinking about the flash ECU on my 2018 V650. Because of the jerky throttle and the sudden fuel cut when you release the throttle.
I almost fell off the motorcycle a few times. The authorized service has done the vacuum synchronization and after that I feel a strong motor braking when I release the throttle, and when I release the throttle slowly, then there is a sudden fuel cut.
This year when I went to the sea and in those 2000km I had a situation 10-15 times that in a bend I have to release the throttle very little and there the electronics make a sudden fuel cut and the engine jerks in a bend while you are leaning.
Not a pleasant feeling when you have 10 kilos of things in the top box and in the passenger seat more things like tents, sleeping bags and stretches.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts