Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
** Speeds are not what the gearingcommander.com site predicted.
if you went from factory 15/46 to 16/45, then it should be 91.7% of rpm,
That fits your 6000 rpms speeds.
But 5000 rpms should become 4585 rpms.
If your rpms go down to 4250 (85%), you'd have to have about 16/42.
So gopro is quite off!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello folks, on this topic, I tried to change to16/43 but then found that the 16T that came with the Chain kit was too big for the engine casing. (so big like it was like the chain got stuck and wouldn't move). Hence I had to order a 15T sprocket separately and fit it along with the 43T rear...

Now my question to those who upgraded to 16T, can you guys share me the website link from where you purchased? I'm from India and it's a PITA to get such aftermarket parts here.

Thanks in advance!:)

·
Premium Member
9,109 Posts
Hello folks, on this topic, I tried to change to16/43 but then found that the 16T that came with the Chain kit was too big for the engine casing. (so big like it was like the chain got stuck and wouldn't move). Hence I had to order a 15T sprocket separately and fit it along with the 43T rear...

Now my question to those who upgraded to 16T, can you guys share me the website link from where you purchased? I'm from India and it's a PITA to get such aftermarket parts here.

Thanks in advance!:)
First today is my first day back as a regular member. Super Mod gone, I recal something like this before, first you probably have the wrong chain. I had a 16T sprocket on my 07, that 43 is way off, you need to return to stock rear. Listen to all the others that have posted , you should have 16/46 if you go that way, the chain needs to be a quality chain EK- SRX2 , be aware you will have about 0.020 clearance around the housing, you need the rubber dampened front sprocket , part number is in this post #20 So, having some issues, need help diagnosing

·
Registered
6 Posts
First today is my first day back as a regular member. Super Mod gone, I recal something like this before, first you probably have the wrong chain. I had a 16T sprocket on my 07, that 43 is way off, you need to return to stalk rear. Listen to all the others that have posted , you should have 16/46 if you go that way, the chain needs to be a quality chain EK- SRX2 , be aware you will have about 0.020 clearance around the housing, you need the rubber dampened front sprocket , part number is in this post #20 So, having some issues, need help diagnosing
Thank you for that link. You're right I did buy the wrong kit (cus I'm a noob to biking) I had bought the KAWASAKI 2013-2017 ZX6R VORTEX 520 CHAIN & SPROCKET KIT OEM GEARING 16-43 GOLDi kit from ebay that time thinking that there won't be any issues with the fit... 🤦‍♂️

So now I realize that only JT sprocket makes a 16T compatible for V650 not other sprocket manufacturers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thank you for that link. You're right I did buy the wrong kit (cus I'm a noob to biking) I had bought the KAWASAKI 2013-2017 ZX6R VORTEX 520 CHAIN & SPROCKET KIT OEM GEARING 16-43 GOLDi kit from ebay that time thinking that there won't be any issues with the fit... 🤦‍♂️

So now I realize that only JT sprocket makes a 16T compatible for V650 not other sprocket manufacturers.
all 16 tooth 520 sprockets are the same size... JT, Supersrox, OEM, Acme... you name it Bro.

The fault lies with the chain, not the sprocket. Low quality chains have bigger links
to make up for the weaker steel... dont get that confused with more distance between
the rollers.

The chain size ie. 520 is imperial. and relates to 1/8th of an inch.
The first number 5 designates the pitch. in this case it is 5/8ths of an inch pin to pin.
the second dimension also relates to 1/8th of an inch. However the second numerator
is the last two numbers ie. 20 and is in fact 2.0... 2.0 1/8ths of an inch... which
of course is 1/4 inch. That dimension is the width of the chain between the inner plates...
for all intents and purposes the width of the rollers.

A 525 chain has 5/8ths of an inch from pin to pin.... but 2.5 eighths of an inch of course
is 5/16 of an inch wide.

·
Premium Member
9,109 Posts
As to 16T rubber dampened front sprocket, up until 2019, it was a Ninja part number, many have used a non dampened sprocket, my feeling is it helps with the chain slack as opposed to a non dampened sprocket. A post earlier about clearance, 0.020 was measured by Speedy MotoWerk on a 16T UN-dampened sprocket, I found with my 2015 and the PR5 tires, I am within 3 KM/HR using the OEM 15T , knowing how little clearance there is, I stuck with the 15T. You get a couple ceased links and you might be kissing your A^*= goodby and your gearbox.

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
Since the FIRST countershaft sprocket change on ALL THREE of my V650s - I've replaced w/ NON rubber-damped, and have had NO issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
all 16 tooth 520 sprockets are the same size... JT, Supersrox, OEM, Acme... you name it Bro.

The fault lies with the chain, not the sprocket. Low quality chains have bigger links
to make up for the weaker steel... dont get that confused with more distance between
the rollers.

The chain size ie. 520 is imperial. and relates to 1/8th of an inch.
The first number 5 designates the pitch. in this case it is 5/8ths of an inch pin to pin.
the second dimension also relates to 1/8th of an inch. However the second numerator
is the last two numbers ie. 20 and is in fact 2.0... 2.0 1/8ths of an inch... which
of course is 1/4 inch. That dimension is the width of the chain between the inner plates...
for all intents and purposes the width of the rollers.

A 525 chain has 5/8ths of an inch from pin to pin.... but 2.5 eighths of an inch of course
is 5/16 of an inch wide. View attachment 179493
Appreciate the info but this is also confusing me because in my case I only used the 520 pitch chain which means I shouldn't have had fitting issues with the front sprocket, correct? Below are the chain kit's pics for reference. You think the chain is oversized or the front sprocket which led to the fitting issues?

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
Here's a pic of my Gen 1 w/ the OEM (damped) sprocket

DSC01421 copy 2 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and here's the "SUNSTAR" replacement (I use JIS ones also)

DSC01427 copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

the worn OEM on the left, SUNSTAR on the right

DSC01428 copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and 'looping' the NEW chain over the SUNSTAR - I ALWAYS paint one link so I can see 'where I am' while lubing the chain, and IF you want to see CLEAN - watch for "weljo" pics...!

DSC01432 copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same bike as the OP (Mark3) but model year 2016.

According to the SunStar search form , the Factory setup is this:
_
FRONT SPROCKET: 15
REAR SPROCKET: 46
CHAIN: 520
LINKS: 114
_

BTW, my stock rear sprocket was also a Sunstar 46.
Stock-Sprocket-Make-and-teeth.jpg

I changed it with this new Susntar 43
new-sprocket.jpg

I must say that I highly doubt that it is possible to have a 19/33 combination.

1 - The clearance in the front (engine housing) seems way too small for a 4 teeth increase from stock.

2 - going to 33 rear !!! means that in order to have the chain in the correct tension/slack,
you have to move your rear axle way-way back. Or else remove links from the chain in order to avoid this.
@OP Did you have to shorten your chain in your case?

In my case I only changed from 46 to 43, and I was immediately past the middle of the tension marks on the swing-arm.
It looks like this:
right-tension-regulator.jpg

3 - The rear sprocket diameter would be reduced so much that the chain would almost certainly keep
scraping/grinding against the swing-arm metal.

My two cents:

I would advise not to increase the front teeth by more than 1, and then you can play/experiment
with the rear sprocket with values like 40,41,..46 ..etc. Extreme changes must be avoided.
After all, is it only a 650cc engine.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I also used a non rubber dampened countershaft sprocket last change. Not by any particular design and it works well.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The rubber sprocket is designed to reduce noise and vibration from the chain. While it isn’t necessary, it does make riding a bit nicer, even when wearing ear plugs. If one uses an un-dampened sprocket, the chain lash has to be adjusted looser than the factory spec or it will be too tight. I’ve found 55mm works well on my gen2.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I must say that I highly doubt that it is possible to have a 19/33 combination.

My two cents:

I would advise not to increase the front teeth by more than 1, and then you can play/experiment
with the rear sprocket with values like 40,41,..46 ..etc. Extreme changes must be avoided.
After all, is it only a 650cc engine.
Correct, its not physically possible and even if it was, the motor doesnt make enough power to run the gearing he claimed. The OP later posted a much different sprocket combination when he actually counted the teeth.

"As far as sprockets; stock is the 15/46. And I looked into it, and my set up right now is 16/41"

41 - 55 of 55 Posts