Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
That's a good price and the 396 LMT is a good bit of equipment. Installed one on my Spyder RT-S and am very pleased with it.

·
Registered
2013 v650
213 Posts
I have an old nuvi 500 that now thinks it is Oct 1999 due to the GPS network reset. I emailed Garmin and there response was to get a newer unit as they are not going to support my older one. They gave me a 20% discount on the Zumo 396 ltm. ($319.00) They didn't offer the Zumo I had to ask about it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve had a few Garmin devices and every time I’d go to upgrade I’d call and get a discount. I always had to ask too.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
My feeling is the dedicated GPS has been superseded by the smart phone. A modern smart phone has a larger screen, more processing power and the same GPS receiver and bluetooth. There are a multitude of software options for Android some of which are motorcycle specific. My LG6 is also waterproof and just as shock proof.

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is actually a very good deal. I have one on my wish list on Revzilla, and it's $399.

I initially thought about using my phone in lieu of a GPS, but I think I'd use my phone in town and a GPS on big rides. I have two reasons for this:

1) That's a *lot* of data to use when I don't have an unlimited plan.
2) If I lose my cell signal, I lose my in-ride navigation and would have to resort to pulling over and using <gasp> a real-live map.

·
Registered
2013 v650
213 Posts
I am still a gps person. I would rather put a $350.00 gps on the bike instead of a $1000.00 phone. The bike enviroment has a lot of vibration and heat. I have used Garmin basecamp for route planing and know how to have it make the route I want. My cell phone stayes in my cargo pocket or saddle bag.

That said I now also run on older s 5 phone with off line maping app as a wide view map. It has no data plan but the gps works great. It gives me a 10 to 20 mile view of the area I am in.

·
Registered
235 Posts
zumo has another feature not likely found on a smartphone. It can detect a crash and send a notification to someone you specify in advance.
It also offers "LiveTrack" if you want someone to follow your route.
Both features do require a smartphone, so it's "in addition to", not "instead of".

And yes, the zumo is "ruggedized" for vibration and weather where most smartphones aren't. It's also glove friendly.

Things to consider....

·
Premium Member
7,768 Posts
Still on Zumo 500 , after a complete repair job done by Zumo Hong Kong and cost me about US$150.00.

·
Registered
478 Posts
This is actually a very good deal. I have one on my wish list on Revzilla, and it's $399.

I initially thought about using my phone in lieu of a GPS, but I think I'd use my phone in town and a GPS on big rides. I have two reasons for this:

1) That's a *lot* of data to use when I don't have an unlimited plan.
2) If I lose my cell signal, I lose my in-ride navigation and would have to resort to pulling over and using <gasp> a real-live map.
Just to clarify, all modern phones will let you use the GPS function without the need for a data plan, a carrier, or even a SIM card. I ditched my dedicated GPS units for a used $75 cell phone/phablet (big screen, waterproof without a case, glove friendly, MIL spec) used entirely off-line. Ivcan still use it on WiFi for anything you'd use a smart phone for, including Facetime or Skype calls, all for free.

·
Registered
275 Posts
That seems to be a great deal. I clicked on the link and that model is being offered at $249.00 and free 2 day shipping! I was expecting 3 bills for a sales price. I will have to quickly ponder this one.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just to clarify, all modern phones will let you use the GPS function without the need for a data plan, a carrier, or even a SIM card. I ditched my dedicated GPS units for a used $75 cell phone/phablet (big screen, waterproof without a case, glove friendly, MIL spec) used entirely off-line. Ivcan still use it on WiFi for anything you'd use a smart phone for, including Facetime or Skype calls, all for free.
I didn't realize that was an option. It seemed to me that the carrier was needed in order to track my progress along the route. Learn something new every day. :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Reactions: txcyclist
1 - 15 of 15 Posts