Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys-

Received my ZG Windscreen last week and got it installed this weekend. It was not a simple undertaking. On dry fitting the screen it became immediately apparent that my Zeta handguards made a LOT of contact when trying to turn to full steer lock position. After a bit of discussion with a friend we decided to try to mod the screen to work with my setup. My friend (who is a master woodworker) made the rough cuts with a coping saw. This was going very well until after his last 'inward' cut, when we realized a stress crack had started in that corner. We knew there was no way we could fix the crack such that it wouldn't spread the second a decent amount of wind hit it, so we decided to basically cut around it by a few mms to remove it entirely. Which, unbelievably, worked. After that I finished the shaping with a Dremel using a sanding wheel. So when all was said and done the inward swoops wound up having to be a bit more pronounced than I'd hoped, but I think we did a bang up job for 2 rookies to lexan (or whatever it's made of).



I'll get some better shots if anyone is interested. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,519 Posts
:thumb::thumb:

That's why I went with givi medium. They have it trimmed so handle bars ect. don't hit. The calsci I sent back hit bad and would have had to be modified!

Good job! :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
Hi Guys-

Received my ZG Windscreen last week and got it installed this weekend. It was not a simple undertaking. On dry fitting the screen it became immediately apparent that my Zeta handguards made a LOT of contact when trying to turn to full steer lock position. After a bit of discussion with a friend we decided to try to mod the screen to work with my setup. My friend (who is a master woodworker) made the rough cuts with a coping saw. This was going very well until after his last 'inward' cut, when we realized a stress crack had started in that corner. We knew there was no way we could fix the crack such that it wouldn't spread the second a decent amount of wind hit it, so we decided to basically cut around it by a few mms to remove it entirely. Which, unbelievably, worked. After that I finished the shaping with a Dremel using a sanding wheel. So when all was said and done the inward swoops wound up having to be a bit more pronounced than I'd hoped, but I think we did a bang up job for 2 rookies to lexan (or whatever it's made of).



I'll get some better shots if anyone is interested. :thumb:

That screen looks real smart. good job, mate. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
873 Posts
I had the same problem with my Givi shield. The boys here suggested I use the handle bar risers - I did and it worked well. My barkbusters still hit the shield but only at full lock position (which I never do while riding). However, yours works too and has a unique look to it now. As I read the part about the crack I was thinking you should use some heat to melt it closed, but you figured it out well enough.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top