Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 22-year-old 2001 R6 I bought new, 170,000 km ago. I love it. But it sucks on unsealed roads, and I like adventure touring.

I chose the Versys-X because I wanted as much separation from my R6 as possible while retaining the ability to cruise all day at 100 km/h and the ability to overtake. (I was shocked at the way the little bike could pull happily away from 60 km/h in 6th gear. Not even the R6 can do that!)

Less is more. Light weight and low power require a different appreciation of motorcycle qualities. You learn to do more with what you have.

What is your "companion motorcycle" to your Versys-X? If you have several motorcycles, which one do you feel best compliments the Versys-X and why?

If you could only have two motorcycles and one of them was the Versys-X, what would the other one be?

· Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300 (non ABS)
1,232 Posts
I think I am going to like this thread! I'm probably on the other end of spectrum as you @Flying Translator ... the Versys-X is now my "big" bike (LOL). Before, I had a Honda NT700V, which is a better road/touring bike (and I loved it) ... but not better enough for my riding. I don't take a lot of longer rides, and for any longer rides I'd want to do, the Versys-X will do just fine for me. ( @GeoGator took his on a longer trip than I probably ever will !).

RIght now, the Versys-x is my only bike. I'm slowly, methodically, setting my sights on a smaller bike for local riding - especially light single track. As small as the Versys-x is, I have been in places where I wish it was a little lighter and narrower. (In some cases, avoided places for the same reasons). Now sure, I've seen folks (in videos) ride R1200GS's in tougher places that I've taken the Versys-x ... but that's not likely to ever be me !

SO ... for my 2nd bike, (which i've pondered here before ...) Something with low seat height, light weight, good trail bike
Probably top contenders:
Fuel Injected:
  • Kawasaki KLX230
  • Yamaha XT250

Could consider a VanVan200 (which @twowheeladdict tempts me with regularly ... showing it can do more than you expect) / or lowered CRF300L (maybe even 250L, but they are 320#?) ... or possibly even a Trail 125 (especially as I age out !)

Carbureted:
  • Yamaha TW200
  • Honda CRF230L/M
Potential RunnerUps?
Suzuki DR200 / maybe an older Super Sherpa ?

The possibilities are endless, but I'd get more joy and use out of knock-about bike that I can toss around in the woods a little easier and manage off road, putting around, no whoops or jumps !

· Registered
1,232 Posts
I just have the x300.
For another bike? I’ve done the rocket ship on wheels thing and have that out of my system. Maybe a Monkey?
A Monkey could be a 3rd bike for me. What a hoot that would be riding around ! (I saw a "Yamahopper" 50cc 'noped' in craigslist that for some reason thought it woudl be a lot of fun). Vintige looks good in pictures, but I'd need to be retired to want to tinker around with an oldie like that.

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I am going to like this thread!
Potential RunnerUps?
Suzuki DR200 / maybe an older Super Sherpa ?

The possibilities are endless, but I'd get more joy and use out of knock-about bike that I can toss around in the woods a little easier and manage off road, putting around, no whoops or jumps !
The DR200 was one of the earlier contenders, but its inability to cruise for long periods on the highway (between adventure roads) ruled it out. It would be better than the Versys-X for rougher, slower trails, but getting to these trails would be a pain on the open road.

· Registered
1,232 Posts
The DR200 was one of the earlier contenders, but its inability to cruise for long periods on the highway (between adventure roads) ruled it out. It would be better than the Versys-X for rougher, slower trails, but getting to these trails would be a pain on the open road.
Lucky for me, I have so many off-road/dirt road/gravel road options within 20 miles of my house ... that is what is steering me towards a smaller bike. And the Versys-x is my wife's favorite bike ever (after the Corbin seat) ... so we're good for road trips (short or long) 👍👍👍

· Registered
277 Posts
Here you go.

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650
2014 Yamaha FJR1300
2017 Kaw X300 Versys
2019 Kaw V1K SE Versys

They all complement each other, I have choices when I walk out into the garage.

Fortunately I don't have to make a choice. How ever my fav two bikes are the FJR and the V-Strom.

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

· Registered
362 Posts
My Versys X300 is the new genre for me. 130 mph on the highway - done that on a Kaw GPZ750. Off road at breakneck speeds and hill climbing on a Yam YZ250 2-stroke. So I'm now playing it safe and slow (er). I guess the question that is asked means different things to different people. Can someone help me get off the fence and buy a Corbin seat? Pricy but I know I would be way more comfortable on the X300. I'm choking on the price tag. lol

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
. Can someone help me get off the fence and buy a Corbin seat? Pricy ...
The stock Versys-X seat is low and hard. If you are taller (say from 5' 11" (180 cm)) then I would recommend the combination of a Kawasaki original "taller" seat (the Ergo-Fit Extended Reach seat ) and adjustable footpegs that can be set lower than stock. Your arse and knees will thank you!

· Registered
277 Posts
Nice motorcycle garage!
Now, show me your car garage!
Here you go. 19' x19' two car garage. Truck stays out side, Wont fit in the garage even if there was room.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light

· Registered
1,232 Posts
My Versys X300 is the new genre for me. 130 mph on the highway - done that on a Kaw GPZ750. Off road at breakneck speeds and hill climbing on a Yam YZ250 2-stroke. So I'm now playing it safe and slow (er). I guess the question that is asked means different things to different people. Can someone help me get off the fence and buy a Corbin seat? Pricy but I know I would be way more comfortable on the X300. I'm choking on the price tag. lol
Just come down to NW GA and I'll let you try out the Corbin... you'll either hate it, or buy one. I did get mine (lightly) used, but am so glad I took the chance and bought it. Game changer for me.

Edit: it is a little taller (1/2 - 1"?) ... but if you buy new, they may be able to adjust?

· Registered
16 Posts
I have a 22-year-old 2001 R6 I bought new, 170,000 km ago. I love it. But it sucks on unsealed roads, and I like adventure touring.

I chose the Versys-X because I wanted as much separation from my R6 as possible while retaining the ability to cruise all day at 100 km/h and the ability to overtake. (I was shocked at the way the little bike could pull happily away from 60 km/h in 6th gear. Not even the R6 can do that!)

Less is more. Light weight and low power require a different appreciation of motorcycle qualities. You learn to do more with what you have.

What is your "companion motorcycle" to your Versys-X? If you have several motorcycles, which one do you feel best compliments the Versys-X and why?

If you could only have two motorcycles and one of them was the Versys-X, what would the other one be?
I have a 2020 Honda NC 750 x DCT which I like for longer rides. Both bikes are very enjoyable because they both are significantly lighter than the my 2014 Honda Valkyrie that weighs in at 750 lbs. Having said that the Valkyrie was my all time favorite motorcycle, but when I hit age 74 it got to heavy.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts