1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. See, I don't care that much about sound to spend $500 on a muffler when there's always the old aircraft drill trick, which I see guys doing on here. On my little KLX I just traded in, the pipe made a HUGE difference in performance because they had the thing so friggin choked off for California EPA stuff that it barely ran. On some bikes I've hurt the performance by going to a loud pipe too. I've been searching a bit on here and elsewhere nobody really talks about the performance difference, just the sound. I found that odd.

So is anyone finding that when you pipe it, use a high-flow air cleaner, and have it remapped or whatever you do with the FI that it makes a noticeable difference?

Sorry about the can of worms. What's the best oil? :p Just kidding.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Thanks guys. See, I don't care that much about sound to spend $500 on a muffler when there's always the old aircraft drill trick, which I see guys doing on here. On my little KLX I just traded in, the pipe made a HUGE difference in performance because they had the thing so friggin choked off for California EPA stuff that it barely ran. On some bikes I've hurt the performance by going to a loud pipe too. I've been searching a bit on here and elsewhere nobody really talks about the performance difference, just the sound. I found that odd.

So is anyone finding that when you pipe it, use a high-flow air cleaner, and have it remapped or whatever you do with the FI that it makes a noticeable difference?

Sorry about the can of worms. What's the best oil? :p Just kidding.
Minuscule gains with different muffler. Minuscule gains with just a fuel map. Both? Then you see gains. You have to remap every time you make a mod, like exhaust, air filters, ported and polished heads, etc, to see a decent gain.

Before all the butt-dyno-ers bite my head off, you can get gains with a mod and no remap, but they are very small and the engine can't use the mod to its fullest without having the computer changed to use the engine's full potential.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Minuscule gains with different muffler. Minuscule gains with just a fuel map. Both? Then you see gains. You have to remap every time you make a mod, like exhaust, air filters, ported and polished heads, etc, to see a decent gain.

Before all the butt-dyno-ers bite my head off, you can get gains with a mod and no remap, but they are very small and the engine can't use the mod to its fullest without having the computer changed to use the engine's full potential.
i know what ur saying thats why i do all dyno work

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Has anyone dynoed a V that's been piped, mapped, and set up with a high flow air cleaner? I'm just wondering the ball-park increase. I don't want to spend over $500 to get 2 hp and some hearing damage. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I paid 190-ish for the used PC-3, 150 for the used Two Bros. and 175 for the dyno tune. No high-flow filter yet, but netted 61 whp and the overall rideability is awesome. Some people gawk at 61hp (including me sometimes), but thats a good bit more than stock. Don't forget that the stock HP numbers are engine hp.:D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Stock V has around 59 wheel horsepower (58.7 MCNEWS and 59.4 Motorcycle.com)

So you gained 3.4% hp for an increase in cost of 7.14% (that is at $7000 purchase price not what most pay around 6k).

Now i am not saying this is good or bad or pointless or whatever, just trying to get the numbers out there. When is comes to these things details are key.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What kind of wheel HP are the 650 Ninja and ER6n getting out of the box compared to the V? I'm seeing the ER6n has a little more compression.

The more I ride it, I'm pretty happy with the power it makes. I wish it made the good power over a little broader rpm range so I didn't have to shift so much.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 2-cents...hahaha

I'm running the TwoBrothers Black Series aluminum. Love the sound, but love the weight reduction more. Factory exhaust = 13.4lbs., TwoBrothers = 2.8lbs., ...shaved off 10.6lbs. I also have the TwoBrothers Juice Box Pro with a Pipercross high flow filter. I've never had her dyno'ed, but I would have to say that I did notice a difference in the bikes performance. Maybe I can make the time to get her dyno'ed later this week and throw some numbers up for ya. I've been wanting to find out myself for some time now anyway.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Having had THREE different exhausts on my V, I can tell you that even though people seem to gauge "horsepower increase" by the total number, where it matters is in the mid-range. On most of the aftermarket pipes, there is usually about a 5HP GAIN in the 5K "range", and it most certainly can be felt. Wheelies happen MUCH easier and you can feel it as though the bike is "lighter". I have had an AKRAPOVIC, JARDINE, AND TWO BROS, slip-ons only, with no mods to the fuel mapping. Yes, the Two Bros is now sitting on my shelf after my one hour "let's make some noise" cruise. In another life, I used to enjoy the "music", now I find it very pleasing, but for a short time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't have a slip-on, but was looking at them. From the Yoshimura site:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts