154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Versys with 86'000KM

Reading through posts on Misfiring trying to see where to go next
I have been trying to find the source of the misfire without much luck

Sounds and feels rough

New oil and filter
I have changed the spark plugs and Air filter

Even left it in to have the valve shims and TB sync done in case that was the issue but there is still a notable stutter / hesitation on startup & seems to go through the motions of a cold start every time now
idle speed is increased seems to go to about 3000 rpm and sits there for some seconds before slowly returning to a normal Idle
Even after the bike has warmed up

Trying to think what next
Stick coils or fuelling issues

Any Ideas?
Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
21,685 Posts
When you have a "misfire" (or is it a "hang-fire"...?) they recommend aiming in a safe direction and waiting in case it goes off a bit later....

;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Replaced the vaccum hose from throttle body to IAP sensor today as I had some spare hose
just on off chance but it made no difference

Also tried the O2 sensor bypass and ran for about 15 mins down the road did not feel any different

Thinking of maybe getting some spare stick coils and swapping them
No FI light on just feels rough and idle varying by about 300rpm

·
Premium Member
11,180 Posts
The very first place I would look after replacing ALL the vacuum lines, is the throttle position sensor. You need a accurate digital meter, and I and others have detailed settings. That is what controls your engine speed.
You could have some dead spots, which would mean no input to the ECU, that would cause a misfire. If you have two digital meters, even better! You would need to make a adapter harness - look for a post by @invader.

Reactions: Gerinemo

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Check your ignition coils (coil-on-plugs) for corrosion or cracks.

Coils have since been revised. 2007-2009 Versys original coils # 21171-1286 (Denso 129700-4580) were replaced with # 21171-0028 (Denso 129700-5350) for 2010+ models.

21171-0028 in vendita - | eBay

Some of us have replaced them with used Mitsubishi FT6560 coils as found on:

ZX-6RR 03-06, NINJA ZX-6R 05-08: Part # 21171-1282

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had a little success with one of the issues i had been having
After leaving the bike in for the valve shim & throttle sync I noticed every time I started it up it would rev up to about 3k rpm iand flaf about with misfiring and stuttering with the idle speed varying by a few hundred rpm
When out riding I also noticed the throttle would not return it would just stay in the same place and when you pulled in the clutch the revs went way up this was not happening before the sync so I thought maybe the guy pinched one of the throttle cables on reassembly

I removed the fairing & checked the routing of the cables and adjusted the throttle return cable but was still having same problem I had to twist the throttle back to lower the revs but when I let go it would increase again :) the cam that the cables attach to was not returning to the Idle adjustment screw
Thinking then that maybe the cable was frayed I decided to remove both cables completley and give them a good clean and oil
When i had the cables removed I noticed throttle tube was sticking slightly so i removed it from the handle bar and found
Plant Automotive tire Wood Fender Tree

You would think after cleaning all that off and greasing it all up and put it back together that would be it but no :-(
still had same issue revs still not returning I notice the little oblong cam for fast idle was what was keeping the revs up

After a bit of googling I found a thread on a kawasaki vulcan forum about the issue and even better that there was a fast idle adjustment screw that I had not even noticed
Adjusted the screw inward to bring down the revs on start up so it idles closer to 2k rpm and now returns to about 1300 when i let go of the thtottle
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Electric blue Automotive wheel system

Misfire seems a lot better now that it is reving less on startup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts