Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you all for allowing me to join so easily. Tried to join TW200 forum for 6 weeks to no avail.
I am a new (old time) rider and bought the TW because I thought I wanted to be off-road 80% of the time. Then the "BUG" bit and I want to ride more roads to get to my favorite locations and then putt along at 25 MPH. The people in ALBQ. tend to drive about 20 MPH over the speed limit and I feel vulnerable in front of traffic on the TW. I sat on a Versys the other day and the gas tank was so high it scared me!! I'm 6'3" and weight 175 with a 34" inseam. Is the Versys too much for me??? It seemed so much taller than my TW 200!

Thanks,
Dana

·
Registered
546 Posts
2 cents

It's tall, but not THAT tall. You should be able to flat foot it. I'm on my toes at 5'9" with a 30" inseam.
Others here will argue with me about this, but the Versys really isn't a very good choice for off road use. It is awesome on the street, but you'd be better off with a WeeStrom when the pavement ends.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
It's tall, but not THAT tall. You should be able to flat foot it. I'm on my toes at 5'9" with a 30" inseam.
Others here will argue with me about this, but the Versys really isn't a very good choice for off road use. It is awesome on the street, but you'd be better off with a WeeStrom when the pavement ends.

Agreed!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, The dealer tried to sell me on the Suzuki Gladius. But I want a good wind-screen!! The Gadius has none!!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'm 5'10" on a good day and the Versys is THE best bike I've ever had out of the many I've owned. At your height you'll have no problems.

For me its comfortable, great in the twisties, does great mpg and therefore great range 200miles +. It will carry two up with no issues and carries me and my camping crap without significant mpg degeneration, i.e, stays around the 50mpg range.

It is an OK dual sport bike, but if you do a lot of off roading and any single track this is not the bike for you.

Machog

·
Registered
244 Posts
You will find a lot of us on here are older riders in age only. Heck i am 61 and only 5' 8" and a 30" inseam. Had many, many bikes but i think the Versys is the best i have owned so far. I did put speedys lower kit on it and touch pretty good. Verys can be ridden at about any speed you are comfortable with but agree it is not an off road or dual purpose bike. Most people ride on pavement 90 % of the time. I have had several GS bikes and they never saw any more off road than my Versys does. It does fine on a dirt road or light gravel. Is a really all round bike. Gladius is just an updated SV 650 and not near as comfortable for most of us. What you have to remember is the tank on the Versys is small but the plastic sides make it seem large. I was intimadated by that at first also. V strom 650 had the same feeling to me. Take one for a ride if you can. I sure love my Versys.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Whatever you do, don't sell that TW. It is one of the best, most fun, dependable, all around good time local street commuter you can find.

That is quite a step up from that to the Versys, might consider a smaller jump, although you have the inseam for most bikes out there.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'm 6'1" and no problem with the height, but then again I like the high perch...The V is a great bike for most the folks here, but there are a lot of scoots, if money grew on trees, that I would have. I chose the V as a good combo of all the bikes I love at a great price...Wish you luck...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't agree. Not at all. But it is like beating a dead horse. Once you make it reality then it is your fact.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went from a yamaha xt350 to the Versys, the Versys is a cadilac compared to that. However I do miss jumping off the road and onto the trails, the V is a great "all roads" bike but i would rather have that tw200 for the trails.

·
Registered
196 Posts
What about The KLR

Its a little taller-BUt I had an 08 KLR 650 that I enjoyed just before the V. Good on the road and I hear they are fairley capable off as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone for the comments!! Deano hit the spot that made it look tall! The plastic on the sides of the tank! Just got back from looking at a blue one (don't like green, and it was very hot outside the other day when I sat on that one) I have plenty of inseam for it. I'm just worried about going from 279 lbs. to 455lbs. I grew up on mini-bikes and small dirt bikes. Never had a beautiful machine like the V. By the way, I'm 49. Asked the dealer what out the door cash price was -- $7600. I think thats a little high considering the down economy.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
The Versys feels every bit of 200 lbs or so... :D

Actually, it carries it's weight very well, meaning it doesn't feel heavy.

$7600 OTD does seem a little high, depending on where you are. That's probably not a bad price if you're in California, though, at least from what I've read here...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There isn't much else in between but the Kawi or Suzuki 400 dual-purpose. After reading so many posts and reviews about the Versys I just gravitated towards it. I wish it were a 400cc or so. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts