Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im seriously considering getting a yamaha tenere 700 when they finally hit the us shores! it looks like its basically a large displacement dirtbike with a more comfortable seat and good road manners. but my heart strings are still being pulled on by the sound of the tracer 900 with the akropovic exhaust! i want to be able to go offroad though, and thats what the tenere is made to do. realistically, i dont need the power of the tracer 900, but i do like it! i also like that the tracer can have cruise control. would make my summer commute that much nicer!

whats everyone's opinion on these two bikes?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I test rode the Tracer 900 and liked the motor, but not the ergonomics. The bike feels like its about the same physical size as the Versys. Footpegs, especially, are far more rear set for my taste. After getting back on my Versys, I felt more comfortable. Cruise control sounds like a nice option for sure. The price of the Tracer 900 was quite the shock! I don't do off-road on my Versys, so I can't comment on how it work there.

·
Registered
440 Posts
For off road the Kawasaki KLR 650 is hard to beat. It's a 2 wheel jeep. Does pretty dang good on asphalt to. Don't understand why they quit making them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For off road the Kawasaki KLR 650 is hard to beat. It's a 2 wheel jeep. Does pretty dang good on asphalt to. Don't understand why they quit making them.
nope nope nope. demoed one and it sounded like it had marbles rolling around the engine and felt completely underpowered, to the point that my late xr400 felt like it had more power. had a nice comfy seat though!

im also considering buying a tiger 800 now too! has the same bark as the tracer 900, can come with spoked wheels and setup for offroad. found a couple pretty cheap too!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If you want to do ANY off road, definitely go with the Tenere.

I owned a 2014 FZ09 for about 2 years and 24k miles. The Tracer is an upgraded FJ09 which is an upgraded FZ09. I can tell you it is not an off road machine.

The Tracer is a great bike for sport touring but is not an Adventure bike.

The Tenere has much longer suspension travel roughly 8 inches on both ends. 21 inch front wheel and an 18 inch rear wheel fitted with appropriate tires for the dirt and street.

You might also want to check out KTM's new 790 Adventure R. Yea it's got a bigger price tag but is a much better machine.

Good luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you want to do ANY off road, definitely go with the Tenere.

I owned a 2014 FZ09 for about 2 years and 24k miles. The Tracer is an upgraded FJ09 which is an upgraded FZ09. I can tell you it is not an off road machine.

The Tracer is a great bike for sport touring but is not an Adventure bike.

The Tenere has much longer suspension travel roughly 8 inches on both ends. 21 inch front wheel and an 18 inch rear wheel fitted with appropriate tires for the dirt and street.

You might also want to check out KTM's new 790 Adventure R. Yea it's got a bigger price tag but is a much better machine.

Good luck.
i cant get over the alien looking headlight on that thing though! im seriously thinking about a tiger 800 right now though. its got that spine tingling triple sound, slightly more hp than the tenere, slightly more suspension travel on the xc model. although it is a good chunk of change more than the tenere, i might be able to find a used one for a decent price. any reason not to get a tiger 800 xc?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think what i'll end up doing is getting a 2016 fj-09, adding a mccruise to it and then picking up a dual sport like a xr650l to cover dirt duties. then i'll have my dream road bike and a bike to do offroad exploration with.

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
Weighs pretty much the same as the V650 w/ half the HP!

...any reason not to get a tiger 800 xc?...
A buddy had one, and shipped it to Newfoundland to ride it back across Canada to BC, and couldn't get rid of it quick enough when he got home to BC!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, stuff happened and now this is going to be coming home soon!

its a 2017 that was at a local dealership with only 700 miles on it. already has some knobby tires, a radiator screen, slip on exhaust and fender extender! trading my sled in on it got me down to $7200 after taxes and reg, so not to bad! just have to go to the credit union to get the moneys for it and bring it home.will only be about $40-50 more per month than my versys was including insurance! can not wait for spring now!!! going to try and sell or trade my versys for a dual sport bike for offroad adventures.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
well, stuff happened and now this is going to be coming home soon!

its a 2017 that was at a local dealership with only 700 miles on it. already has some knobby tires, a radiator screen, slip on exhaust and fender extender! trading my sled in on it got me down to $7200 after taxes and reg, so not to bad! just have to go to the credit union to get the moneys for it and bring it home.will only be about $40-50 more per month than my versys was including insurance! can not wait for spring now!!! going to try and sell or trade my versys for a dual sport bike for offroad adventures.
700 miles, pretty much a brand new bike with some extra goodies already bolted on. Nice find.

After you burn off those funky tires put some good street tires on it and let us know how she handles compared to the Versys. I would not take it off road cuz it is too pretty to get all dirty.

Cheers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
she may see the odd dirt road here or there, just to see where it goes, but definitely nothing crazy. im not so sure i wont like these tires, they should definitely help avoid the possible spill from having gravel on the road because the small rocks can go in between the tread instead of just kicking the tire out.

i can tell you that the engine is simply amazing! having fallen in love with it several years back, i will finally have my dream bike! i was mistaken when i thought it was the akropovic pipe i liked. i saw from one of my previous posts on another site that it was in fact the yoshi on an fz-09 that i loved so damn much, to the point that i got shivers up my spine from how amazing it sounded! im just hoping that the scorpion slip on will bring that same smile back every time i twist the grip! i will definitely have to address the seat, but if i recall, the suspension should be ok.

i remember the original complaints about the fz-09 suspension, and when i rode it, it did feel a little soft, but nothing crazy bad that i could tell from that short ride. and no longer will i have a lack of passing power like i have on the versys! there has been quite a few times that i wanted to pass a line of slow cars but questioned if i would be able to with the versys, but no more!

im both excited and scared at the same time to get to own this new bike. i have been so used to being able to go full throttle at damn near any time on the versys with no consequences, and now that i will have double the power i will have to be much more careful and learn more self control when it comes to whacking the throttle. but that is MORE than worth it to listen to this engine every time i ride! is it spring yet!?

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
she may see the odd dirt road here or there, just to see where it goes, but definitely nothing crazy. im not so sure i wont like these tires, they should definitely help avoid the possible spill from having gravel on the road because the small rocks can go in between the tread instead of just kicking the tire out.

i can tell you that the engine is simply amazing! having fallen in love with it several years back, i will finally have my dream bike! i was mistaken when i thought it was the akropovic pipe i liked. i saw from one of my previous posts on another site that it was in fact the yoshi on an fz-09 that i loved so damn much, to the point that i got shivers up my spine from how amazing it sounded! im just hoping that the scorpion slip on will bring that same smile back every time i twist the grip! i will definitely have to address the seat, but if i recall, the suspension should be ok.

i remember the original complaints about the fz-09 suspension, and when i rode it, it did feel a little soft, but nothing crazy bad that i could tell from that short ride. and no longer will i have a lack of passing power like i have on the versys! there has been quite a few times that i wanted to pass a line of slow cars but questioned if i would be able to with the versys, but no more!

im both excited and scared at the same time to get to own this new bike. i have been so used to being able to go full throttle at damn near any time on the versys with no consequences, and now that i will have double the power i will have to be much more careful and learn more self control when it comes to whacking the throttle. but that is MORE than worth it to listen to this engine every time i ride! is it spring yet!?

If you had lack of passing power on the Versys you must not have been downshifting. I passed some logging trucks on a back road with my '11 Versys and was shocked to see I was going 90 once I got in front of the 1st truck. Either that or you weigh over 300 lbs. ;)

Enjoy your new ride. Try and keep the front tire on the ground.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you had lack of passing power on the Versys you must not have been downshifting. I passed some logging trucks on a back road with my '11 Versys and was shocked to see I was going 90 once I got in front of the 1st truck. Either that or you weigh over 300 lbs. ;)

Enjoy your new ride. Try and keep the front tire on the ground.
close, around the 260-270lb mark. single vehicles are no problem, but when you have a line of 2-3 that are spread out, the versys doesnt quite have the guts i was looking for, and im not afraid to make her scream either!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nice looking machine. I love that triple power plant. You'll begin to enjoy whacking the throttle on that thing. As to making her scream....lol
I'll keep my thoughts to myself. As I do not want to be placed on double secret probation. In all seriousness, great looking bike and congrats. Life's too short. Ring it's neck!

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
...I'll keep my thoughts to myself. As I do not want to be placed on double secret probation....
Pretty much, if you don't CUSS, ATTACK another member, or post questionable stuff - you won't get double secret probation!

;)

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
finally got the call from the bank saying im approved for the loan, so it should be coming home in the next couple days. unfortunately, its the middle of winter here and salt doesnt go with motorcycles. im going to see if i can get a mileage warranty on it instead of a 30 day, since i wont be able to ride it for a couple months.

im so excited to have this bike though! its the bike i wanted since i rode it at americade, but at the time, the insurance was INSANE on it, to the point that the insurance was the same if not more expensive than the bike payment would have been! now the insurance is very reasonable though. that, along with getting one HELL of a promotion this past fall made this a reality!

now, as for the versys. im thinking about trading or selling to get a dual sport, but im not sure what yet. i can find dr350's dirt cheap, i had an xr400r and loved that so im thinking i would like the xr650L, the klr is out because the engine sounds like it has marbles running through its veins. im just not sure what dirt oriented bike to replace it with, so i figure i'd ask you guys what you would get?

·
Registered
187 Posts
now, as for the versys. im thinking about trading or selling to get a dual sport, but im not sure what yet. i can find dr350's dirt cheap, i had an xr400r and loved that so im thinking i would like the xr650L, the klr is out because the engine sounds like it has marbles running through its veins. im just not sure what dirt oriented bike to replace it with, so i figure i'd ask you guys what you would get?
The DRZ 400 is a solid dual sport platform, been around long enough to handily trade a used one for a Versys. Strong motor and pretty good stock suspension unless you ride like Jarvis. Bit dated tech with it having a carb and 5-speed but they are reliable like all the other Jap bikes.

Not loads of fun for long stretches on the road but thats what your new FJ is for :smile2:
I rode a DRZ-400 a decade ago for about a year, and got away from dirt riding for a while, but wish I still had one around to punish.

IMO the KLR is a great bike, but only after you sink some $$$ into upgrading the motor and suspension. After a big bore kit and head work it is a totally different ride, pulls hard to 80mph even at my local 6500ft elevation. It is still a heavy pig, but sounds better and is way more fun

Reactions: ThunderBlue

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
...im just not sure what dirt oriented bike to replace it with, so i figure i'd ask you guys what you would get?...
From what I've read, and watched - the "ITCHY BOOTS" ride on U-TUBE, from Patagonia to Alaska on a Royal Enfield Himalayan - I would DEFINITELY look at those!

:goodluck:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts