Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is great feedback on the front and rear sprockets being both swapped out. I did somewhere that all the dashboard errors take more miles to show up. Keep us posted if the errors show up on your bike when you take a longer ride with it. I changed only the front to a 15-tooth rubber bumpered sprocket (the bumper keeps the noise down) and it made enough of a different that I like the bike better. The errors showing up does seem to happen on the older X300 and there is one other owner of a 2021 that did both sprockets saying that there is no problem. Did you put a rubber bumpered sprocket on the front? I'm interested in knowing if you can hear the difference going to a non-bumpered sprocket.
I'm made a lot of modifications to my 2021 X300 so if you plan on putting on more fun stuff check out my channel. The most viewed is the "Full LED light swap out on the X300". Be seen and be safe. My most fun upgrade is the Denali Soundbomb Air Horn as it now sounds like a truck instead of a sweak coming out of a duck. lol
LINK:trekOCLVone - YouTube
No errors have shown up, I've put 60 miles since this morning and all is well. I used the regular non-bumpered sprocket from JT sprockets because nobody seems to have a rubbered bumpered 15 tooth sprocket for sale, I looked everywhere.
I don't hear anything different with the new sprocket as far as noise goes, sounds the same.

·
Registered
152 Posts
No errors have shown up, I've put 60 miles since this morning and all is well. I used the regular non-bumpered sprocket from JT sprockets because nobody seems to have a rubbered bumpered 15 tooth sprocket for sale, I looked everywhere.
I don't hear anything different with the new sprocket as far as noise goes, sounds the same.
It is true that there isn't a direct drop in 15 Tooth rubber bumpered sprocket for the Versys X300 however, In cooperation with the J.T.Sprockets technical staff there is an alternate 15 tooth rubber bumpered sprocket that is a different (thinner) width but all else is the same as the stock unit. In my video I go into the detail on how that alternate sprocket is available and inexpensive. My video has the additional genuine Kawasaki washers that are needed to make a perfect fit.
LINK: 2017 to 2021 Kawasaki Versys X300 changing to a JT Sprocket 15T rubber cushion (part 1 of 2) - YouTube

View attachment 184308

·
Registered
Vx300 Don’t fear the Revs!
400 Posts
My 2017 had 16:46 gearing on it when I bought it from its 2nd owner in 2020. It took me maybe 400 miles before throwing a code, no gear indicator. It faulted under a low rpm acceleration scenario. Had the engine been kept spinning up more, probably wouldn’t have faulted. My observation for what it’s worth.
I didn’t like the way the engine ran at lower rpm using the taller gearing. My theory is the fuel injection is tuned to the stock gearing. I reverted to stock gearing. Wanted to try a 15T to see if I liked that before it came time for new chain and sprockets. I put the 14 back on a month later. I was expecting to see a drop in mpg using the lower gearing. I did not. 2/3 of my riding is on city interstates, 75+ mph indicated. I prefer the more spirited performance of the 14:46 ratio. That’s what works for me. You do you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It is true that there isn't a direct drop in 15 Tooth rubber bumpered sprocket for the Versys X300 however, In cooperation with the J.T.Sprockets technical staff there is an alternate 15 tooth rubber bumpered sprocket that is a different (thinner) width but all else is the same as the stock unit. In my video I go into the detail on how that alternate sprocket is available and inexpensive. My video has the additional genuine Kawasaki washer that are needed to make a perfect fit.
LINK: 2017 to 2021 Kawasaki Versys X300 changing to a JT Sprocket 15T rubber cushion (part 1 of 2) - YouTube

View attachment 184308
I spoke with the tech at JT sprockets, no one had the sprocket in stock, he gave the name and number of the distributor in Texas to find a local shop that had it, nobody has that sprocket in stock but it doesn't matter, the rubber bumper doesn't seem to add any value that I can tell. I'm not hearing any noise different from what it was.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I spoke with the tech at JT sprockets, no one had the sprocket in stock, he gave the name and number of the distributor in Texas to find a local shop that had it, nobody has that sprocket in stock but it doesn't matter, the rubber bumper doesn't seem to add any value that I can tell. I'm not hearing any noise different from what it was.
On here there is feedback that the plain steel sprocket is noisy.
I worked with J.T.Sprockets to find a solution and obtained a alternate sprocket part number JTF565.15RB.
The J.T.Sprockets "alternate" front sprocket with the rubber bumper is available. I bought mine from on line warehouse called DennisKirk.com. The sprocket part number is JTF565.15RB.
LINK: JT Sprockets Front Rubber Cushioned Sprocket - JTF565.15RB Dirt Bike Motorcycle | Dennis Kirk
The Sprocket can be ordered off of Amazon with free shipping.
LINK: Amazon.com: JT Sprockets JTF565.15RB 15 Tooth Rubber Cushioned Front Countershaft Sprocket : Automotive
PLEASE watch my video to walk you through the install with the added genuine Kawasaki washers needed to make it all fix. It is easy to do but watch the video first and order the sprocket and additional washers. All the part numbers are with the video on my channel.
LINK to my video: 2017 to 2021 Kawasaki Versys X300 changing to a JT Sprocket 15T rubber cushion (part 1 of 2) - YouTube

The picture of the 15 tooth rubber bumpered sprocket.

View attachment 184314

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Most of us know the gear indicator error and the check engine light that show up when we change sprockets to something like 15/43. Since the Ninja 300 has the same engine and same size rear tire and comes from factory with 14 front and 42 rear sprocket, I wonder if we can simply just install the Ninja 300 ECU in the Versys 300 and be able to run taller gears using the 15/43 combination.

I know that many of the Ninja 300 folks changed their front sprocket to a 15 tooth and got no errors, so my thinking is that if I use the Ninja 300 ECU in my Versys 300, then 15/43 combination will work well without any weird codes.

When I changed my sprockets to 15/43 I absolutely loved the bike, it was awesome, plenty of power, dropped RPMs by 1000 and since I won't ride technical off road where I'll need the extra torque, then I should be fine.

Thoughts on the ECU swap?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I’ve been wondering when someone would think of this? Only thing I can think of off hand, is that the Vx air box and exhaust was supposedly tuned for better torque. So I’d assume fuel injection mapping would also differ for the Vx. That aside, I’d say chances are likely very good it would work as desired. But if you really want lower revs, I’d consider more displacement.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’ve been wondering when someone would think of this? Only thing I can think of off hand, is that the Vx air box and exhaust was supposedly tuned for better torque. So I’d assume fuel injection mapping would also differ for the Vx. That aside, I’d say chances are likely very good it would work as desired. But if you really want lower revs, I’d consider more displacement.
I'd love more displacement....except more displacement bikes are too high for my short legs and far heavier than I'd like in my old age. So the 300 fits the bill until someone comes up with another small displacement adventure bike that beats the Versys - a tall order.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I hear that. I’m getting up there too. I love the low weight, ease of handling of the Vx. I’m a fan of the stock gearing. I was expecting it to get blown around more by trucks and such on the freeway with the taller profile than the heavier bikes I’ve ridden. Not sure how Kawasaki did it, but it seems less affected than bigger machines I’ve piloted.

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
130 Posts
Hello All !

We've finally had enough warm weather, and a little time off from work, for me to ride and adjust the chain on my X 300 !

The bad news is ... I reckon I need a new chain. It has just under 10K miles ... and may have almost half a tooth showing when I pull the slack on the back sprocket ... so I'll want to replace that before spring.

Any of you X 300 folks replaced chains and sprockets yet ? What did you get / where did you get it ? ;) (Note: I'm a relatively conservative/slow rider ... looking for longevity more than performance, and am very happy with stock gearing -- don't need any higher top end, or lower RPM's based on how I ride !)

PS - I've been on and off motorcycles for a bunch of years ... and it dawned on me today that I've never changed chains and sprockets ?! My "other" bike is a NT700V (Honda) ... and has a shaft drive ... and apparently, I've traded around enough to only have to adjust the chains. Wow ... that's just crazy. Anyway ... I suspect I'll do the swap myself ... unless a local shop can do it really cheap while I tinker with something else. I'd consider myself an adequate grease monkey for cars mostly.

Any advice? Wish me luck !

·
Registered
130 Posts
OK ... so I've found a 14 tooth cushioned / 46 tooth rear with did vx3 / x-ring chain for about $150 on "Sprocketcenter" .com as a set.

Looks like a decent price ... and the sprockets are from JT. I've read the 15 tooth cushioned JT is a little thinner and needs spacers to fit perfectly... anyone know if there are any fitment tweaks needed for the JT 14 tooth dampened front sprocket?

Mostly see positive things about Sprocketcenter... anyone have problems I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help !

Happy Christmas Eve 🎄 🎅🎁

JT

·
Registered
400 Posts
I got 12k out of my OEM chain. I noticed some links looking a little kinked when between sprockets. I figured out what gearing I like before replacing chain, which is stock. I used a JT cushioned 14T up front, OEM rear, and chain pictured. Local dealer for sprockets, Saved something like $20 going with the JT sprocket. OEM was the only available choice for 46T rear per my dealer. He advised me of the JT for front. Amazon for chain. Oh, and I use the full performance Vx, but don’t dump or feather the clutch, 75% of miles at 75mph or better.
View attachment 185042

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got 12k out of my OEM chain. I noticed some links looking a little kinked when between sprockets. I figured out what gearing I like before replacing chain, which is stock. I used a JT cushioned 14T up front, OEM rear, and chain pictured. Local dealer for sprockets, Saved something like $20 going with the JT sprocket. OEM was the only available choice for 46T rear per my dealer. He advised me of the JT for front. Amazon for chain. Oh, and I use the full performance Vx, but don’t dump or feather the clutch, 75% of miles at 75mph or better.
View attachment 185042
Super - thanks for the feedback! I'm in the same boat with stock gearing - I really like it.

Did the JT front sprocket fit well with no 'shims'?

On a side note... I'm looking forward to the Georgia/Michigan game next week ... should be a pretty good game!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I did not mic the sprockets to verify proper alignment. Just bolted it up like the stock one I removed and eyeballed good alignment under rotation.

I don’t follow much in the way of sports anymore. I just know it’s a good day when any MI team beats OH State 😂 Long time rivalry since we once fought a war...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I did not mic the sprockets to verify proper alignment. Just bolted it up like the stock one I removed and eyeballed good alignment under rotation.

I don’t follow much in the way of sports anymore. I just know it’s a good day when any MI team beats OH State 😂 Long time rivalry since we once fought a war...
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm not a huge fan anymore... just kind of keep up with the scores. I can get behind a good rivalry... Michigan/Ohio State ... Stihl/Husqvarna ... Nikon/Canon ... Kawasaki/??? 😂

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello All !

We've finally had enough warm weather, and a little time off from work, for me to ride and adjust the chain on my X 300 !

The bad news is ... I reckon I need a new chain. It has just under 10K miles ... and may have almost half a tooth showing when I pull the slack on the back sprocket ... so I'll want to replace that before spring.

Any of you X 300 folks replaced chains and sprockets yet ? What did you get / where did you get it ? ;) (Note: I'm a relatively conservative/slow rider ... looking for longevity more than performance, and am very happy with stock gearing -- don't need any higher top end, or lower RPM's based on how I ride !)

PS - I've been on and off motorcycles for a bunch of years ... and it dawned on me today that I've never changed chains and sprockets ?! My "other" bike is a NT700V (Honda) ... and has a shaft drive ... and apparently, I've traded around enough to only have to adjust the chains. Wow ... that's just crazy. Anyway ... I suspect I'll do the swap myself ... unless a local shop can do it really cheap while I tinker with something else. I'd consider myself an adequate grease monkey for cars mostly.

Any advice? Wish me luck !
JT, I too got only 10K out of the stock chain which really surprised me. I normally get 20K+ from a chain. I noticed that the rear hub does not include a cushion drive which may be a contributing factor. Or, perhaps the stock chain is poor quality. I replaced mine with stock front and JT 46 rear and a high quality DID chain. It is not difficult to replace them but you need a good quality chain breaker/press tool. I use an RK but there are other good tools available. Don't remove the old chain. Use it to pull the new chain through and around the drive sprocket. I recommend using the rivet master link when installing the new chain, but the tool will also install a clip link. Hope this helps.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts