Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edited by Inverterman; over the years several threads started with the same reason, rather than have multiple threads with some of the same posters and the same answers. I have combined them. But also kept the original copies.

Hi , just wondering if someone has modded their x300's rear sprocket with the ninja 300 ? The teeth on the x300 are 46 and on the n300 are 42 . This would mean better top speed which the x300 suffers due to off-road setup and also give a better mileage maybe ?
Ofcourse the chain size would need to be cut as well.
Any thoughts ?

·
Super Moderator
20,932 Posts
IF you gear your X300 up that much, I'm pretty sure you will NOT be happy w/ the resulting SLOW-W-W acceleration, and LOWER top-speed (as it hasn't the power to "pull" that gearing).

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
just get a better bike. V300 is underpowered, low millage, and horrible fairings. i got rid of it. i still ride my friends' 300 occasionally, but buying it for myself was the biggest mistake in my life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the bmw g310gs before this and believe me that was even more horrible than a twin cyl kawasaki . The newer version of the g310 they say is Improved version now but lets see how good that is . In the 300cc range there are not too many choices in the off-road motorcycles. What you say is true and for that matter a bike with the extra height and with 300cc capacity u can't expect much out of it ..can ya ?

·
Registered
558 Posts
The X300 is a great bike and very reliable, but many find them geared very short. I found 1st gear useless and could easily take off from rest in 2nd gear.
MANY owners have done a quick gear up by changing the 14 tooth countershaft sprocket for a 15.
If you did gear up go for a 43 tooth rear sprocket. Any higher gearing than this will cause an engine alarm to come up and disable the gear indicator. This is because those dumb engineers decided to use the rear wheel rotation sensor (ABS sensor) to provide the speed input, and the ECU compares road speed to engine revs to provide gear information.
15/46 or 14/43, no issues. Anything higher will cause the ECU to light up engine faults 24 and 25.

There is a whole thread on this. Start here: Versys x300 - Sprockets/Re-gearing Causes Engine Fault Light

·
Registered
Vx300 Don’t fear the Revs!
400 Posts
When I got my 2017 Vx300 last summer it had a 16T installed. I’ve since reverted to stock gearing. It had the power to pull a higher top speed with the 16. Under 5k rpm didn’t sound/feel healthy on the engine. Dropped the revs about 2k at similar speeds. I drove on the 16T about a week (400 miles) before the gear Indicator faulted out. I found the forum here once searching for the indicator fault and was happy to have found all the info I needed on the subject. I definitely noticed a power increase after reverting to the 14T, Thinking I might give that 43T rear a try for next season.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The 40 hp is quite respectable from 300cc. It’s not for everyone, but I’m quite happy with what I have, even coming off of much more powerful bikes. I kind of like not having to go 130+ mph to feel the performance of the motorcycle. And this light machine is so easy to handle. Depends on what you’re looking for. Whatever bike you’re riding, is the best one 😁👍

·
Registered
237 Posts
For off-road use I believe we go 2 teeth larger, not smaller.

·
Super Moderator
20,932 Posts
For off-road use I believe we go 2 teeth larger, not smaller.
For LOWER gearing, EITHER 'fewer teeth' on the counter-shaft sprocket, or MORE teeth on the rear sprocket.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ed. My comment was more about direction. If 300 owners want more speed they , maybe, should have bought a 650?

But I have yet to find an info on here about people who have successfully turned their mini adventure bike into a highway cruiser. Is there a Vulcan 300?

I read a review that suggested the X-300 would be better on dirt with an extra two teeth.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I geared mine up because I found 1st gear useless, and could easily take off in 2nd gear. To me that seemed a little ridiculous. Plus it takes a few rpm off for a slightly less frenetic open road riding, and it is still geared way lower than my DL650. My dirt bikes were never geared as low as the X300 was stock, and off road you need momentum, not a crawler gear.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I’ll looking at gearing mine up a little to drop the highway rpms a tad. A little taller first gear is a bonus. Top speed isn’t really a consideration for me. I just noted the engine could pull the taller gearing as someone had discounted that earlier. Sure the 650 packs more of a punch. So does the liter bike for that matter. I’m happy with the 300. Something for everyone!

·
Registered
362 Posts
just get a better bike. V300 is underpowered, low millage, and horrible fairings. i got rid of it. i still ride my friends' 300 occasionally, but buying it for myself was the biggest mistake in my life.
This is all nonsense.

I can ride two up and get to 80 faster than most things on the road.

I easily get 200 miles per tank and I'm going 80 everywhere which is where the mileage is the worst.

You have a lot of mistakes to make if this the worst you ever made.

What does horrible fairings mean what is wrong with them?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 40 hp is quite respectable from 300cc. It’s not for everyone, but I’m quite happy with what I have, even coming off of much more powerful bikes. I kind of like not having to go 130+ mph to feel the performance of the motorcycle. And this light machine is so easy to handle. Depends on what you’re looking for. Whatever bike you’re riding, is the best one 😁👍
I purchased a new 300x in 2017 after reading great reports .I am a 70 year rider and love the bike. The gearing always felt wrong ,it was working and revving to hard at 100+ kph . I changed the rear sprocket from the stock 46 to 43 and cannot believe how much better it is . No issues with electrical information and yes it is a ABS model. Did not need to replace the chain even though i brought a new one. The versus is now a pleasure to ride on the open road with no noticeable loss in power

·
Registered
152 Posts
I purchased a new 300x in 2017 after reading great reports .I am a 70 year rider and love the bike. The gearing always felt wrong ,it was working and revving to hard at 100+ kph . I changed the rear sprocket from the stock 46 to 43 and cannot believe how much better it is . No issues with electrical information and yes it is a ABS model. Did not need to replace the chain even though i brought a new one. The versus is now a pleasure to ride on the open road with no noticeable loss in power
I just changed the front sprocket to a 15 tooth rubber cushioned sprocket. (yes rubber bumpered) and it made enough of a difference that I enjoy the X300 even more. I to am an older person and I got all that 130 mph on the freeway and seized up engines on dirt bikes running them wide open out of my system long ago. I posted my JT Sprocket 15 tooth rubber bumper upgrade on here in the modified heading. The Versys by it's title means versatile that will mean different things to different people. I have more modifications planned and have already made changes to my 2 month old Versys X. Enjoy !
Video link to the sprocket change: 2017 to 2021 Kawasaki Versys X300 changing to a JT Sprocket 15T rubber cushion (part 1 of 2) - YouTube

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
This is all nonsense.

I can ride two up and get to 80 faster than most things on the road.

I easily get 200 miles per tank and I'm going 80 everywhere which is where the mileage is the worst.

You have a lot of mistakes to make if this the worst you ever made.

What does horrible fairings mean what is wrong with them?

sorry for coming on too strong. I was just frustrated. it is a lovely bike in its own way. i do prefer 650. i like to have more power, and less revving engine. and yes, we had many issues with the front fairings and the dealer could not find the problem, and of course did not honour the warranty. the place where the bolts enter kept getting broken. it cost me quite a bit to replace it and it broke again, so now I just glued the broken plastic. also the rear faring cracked for no reason whatsoever. other issue I had was with the engine guards which come with some models. when the bike fell, not only the guard bent but all the inner cage got twisted and needed to be replaced. other than that, no more issues that I can remember. As for now, I use the bike for commuting, it is great for going around, and my girl-friend rides it when she comes with me occasionally for longer trips. I still think that this bike is neither this nor that, some kind of hybrid between adventure bike and off-road bike that is missing something that I cannot put my finger on. But it is my personal opinion and my girl friend loves it :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I purchased a new 2021 Versys-X 300 a week ago and just replaced the stock sprockets with 15 tooth front and 43 tooth rear sprockets, both from JT Sprockets that I ordered from Amazon.
It's like a whole different motorcycle. I can go 23mph in 1st gear at 7,000 RPMs and 44 MPH on second gear.
So I went from a 3.29 ratio to a 2.87 ratio and didn't have to change the number of links on the chain as the ratio for old and new came to 112 links for both - that's awesome.
It did lose 14.6% torque but gained 14.6% more speed which is fine by me because I'm not going to be doing any serious off-roading, this is for going through gravel and dirt roads and light trails on national parks and state parks.
At 70 MPH it's running at 7,800 RPMs where before I was spinning at 9,000 RPMs, so my fuel mileage will be much better and the engine wear will be much less.
I've read on the threads that older model would get a check engine light and ABS light when changing to this gear ratio but mine is a 2021 and did not have that issue. I went on a 5 mile ride and neither the check engine nor ABS lights ever came on.
I put a GPS speedometer app on my phone to check speedometer accuracy and it's 4 MPH off. At an indicated 60 mph it's actually 56mph per GPS and at an indicated 70 mph it's actually 66 mph per GPS. I can definitely live with that.
I'm extremely happy with its performance now. Kawasaki advertises it as an adventure tourer but they geared it more for off-road and light touring. I simply changed the gearing for great touring and light off-roading - that fits my use case perfectly now.
Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
I purchased a new 2021 Versys-X 300 a week ago and just replaced the stock sprockets with 15 tooth front and 43 tooth rear sprockets, both from JT Sprockets that I ordered from Amazon.
It's like a whole different motorcycle. I can go 23mph in 1st gear at 7,000 RPMs and 44 MPH on second gear.
So I went from a 3.29 ratio to a 2.87 ratio and didn't have to change the number of links on the chain as the ratio for old and new came to 112 links for both - that's awesome.
It did lose 14.6% torque but gained 14.6% more speed which is fine by me because I'm not going to be doing any serious off-roading, this is for going through gravel and dirt roads and light trails on national parks and state parks.
At 70 MPH it's running at 7,800 RPMs where before I was spinning at 9,000 RPMs, so my fuel mileage will be much better and the engine wear will be much less.
I've read on the threads that older model would get a check engine light and ABS light when changing to this gear ratio but mine is a 2021 and did not have that issue. I went on a 5 mile ride and neither the check engine nor ABS lights ever came on.
I put a GPS speedometer app on my phone to check speedometer accuracy and it's 4 MPH off. At an indicated 60 mph it's actually 56mph per GPS and at an indicated 70 mph it's actually 66 mph per GPS. I can definitely live with that.
I'm extremely happy with its performance now. Kawasaki advertises it as an adventure tourer but they geared it more for off-road and light touring. I simply changed the gearing for great touring and light off-roading - that fits my use case perfectly now.
Thanks
This is great feedback on the front and rear sprockets being both swapped out. I did somewhere that all the dashboard errors take more miles to show up. Keep us posted if the errors show up on your bike when you take a longer ride with it. I changed only the front to a 15-tooth rubber bumpered sprocket (the bumper keeps the noise down) and it made enough of a different that I like the bike better. The errors showing up does seem to happen on the older X300 and there is one other owner of a 2021 that did both sprockets saying that there is no problem. Did you put a rubber bumpered sprocket on the front? I'm interested in knowing if you can hear the difference going to a non-bumpered sprocket.
I'm made a lot of modifications to my 2021 X300 so if you plan on putting on more fun stuff check out my channel. The most viewed is the "Full LED light swap out on the X300". Be seen and be safe. My most fun upgrade is the Denali Soundbomb Air Horn as it now sounds like a truck instead of a sweak coming out of a duck. lol
LINK:trekOCLVone - YouTube

1 - 20 of 61 Posts