Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Versys X300
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Versys X 300 has only been around for 4 years so probably too early to call it 'bullet proof', like say the SV650 which has been around long enough (and pretty much unchanged) to confidently earn that badge.

I wonder if anyone has over 50,000 kms on their Versys X 300 and how the bike has fared over that time in terms of reliability and repairs?

I know this was asked a while back but can we try and find who has the highest mileage on their Versys X 300 now?

·
Registered
2017 Versys X300
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sold mine after three years with about 31,500 miles (approx 50,000 km)........great bike, trouble free, and felt like new when sold. I would buy another one if the urge returns!
Yep, I know the feeling. Let's see what others share...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
they are bullet proof. don't forget that they use the Ninja 300 engine, which has been on the market for ages. the only thing that concerns me, since they were manufactured in Indonesia, if the quality control is up the the standard.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The bike is made in kawasaki's thailand plant. Honda, Ducati, and Triumph also have plants in thailand.

The versys 650 as well as the borderline legendary KLR650 also made in the same plant in thailand.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Versys X300
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had no troubles with Thai built cars. Excellent, I'd say.

I'm no mechanic, far from it. My simple logic (concern) is this: An engine that does most it's work at 8000 RPM is doing twice the work of one doing most it's work at 4000 RPM. Can you expect it to have half the life span (other things being equal-ish)?

·
Registered
16 Posts
...I'm no mechanic, far from it. My simple logic (concern) is this: An engine that does most it's work at 8000 RPM is doing twice the work of one doing most it's work at 4000 RPM. Can you expect it to have half the life span (other things being equal-ish)?
It is more about piston speed. The Versys 300 has a large/bore short stroke engine. At 8000 rpm the piston speed is about 2600 feet per minute, which is relatively slow. If you google piston speed and its relationship to engine longevity you'll find lots of interesting ideas.
More importantly, as mentioned many times, this motor has a long history. In fact I purchased a Ninja 250 in 1988, and this motor is a continuation of that early twin. They have been around forever and will last a very long time if they receive the proper maintenance. They love to rev and will do so all day long.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I really like the above comment about piston speed that sounds legit to me as far as cylinder walls and piston rings go, probably not so much for rotating bits like crank or cam bearings. I have much more experience with high mileage cars and small engines than high mileage motorcycles (which are rare when you think of it not many people break 30k miles and on a car that would be considered lightly used) and I guess when I think about the types of failures I have seen in smaller higher revving parallel engines they often have not been block issues or piston rings more usually cylinder head issues, cracked exhaust manifolda, warped blocks caused by head gasket overheats where people didn't turn the car off or transmission failures. Most every inline engine failure (out of 100's) I have seen have been linked to failed timing belts sending valves into the pistons or overheating cause by inexperienced people trying to drive home through failed head gaskets, water pumps, etc. In fact after almost ten years of professional wrenching I don't think I every rebuilt or sent to have rebuilt a small inline 4 that died due to ring or bearing wear. I know small japanese or korean inline 4's aren't exactly direct comparisons but probably the nearest automotive equivalent. When I think of catastrophic bearing, ring, or cam failures I think of big slow v8's. Another anecdotal car bit is every "legendary" engine I can think of for longevity is an inline motor, the iron duke, the slant 6, and the 4.0 liter amc/jeep 242. Also the highest mileage motorcycle in existence is a k1100 bmw an inline 4 not a boxer with a peak power near 8k rpm. The only legendary for reliability motorcycles that come to mind are the nighthawk 750 (8500 rpm peak power) and the norton commando which even 45 plus years ago was putting it's power down in the 7000's (out of a parallel twin).

·
Registered
2017 Versys X300
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some juicy technical content there guys. Thanks heaps for your insights! Time will tell, I guess.

PS: I thought a bunch of people would respond with their mileage/experience. Where are all the X300 riders hanging out. It seems to be the same six or so people who contribute to this forum. Thanks again to those who make an effort.

·
Registered
348 Posts
There is a huge running post on adv but it's literally one 500 page long post with everything in it.

I come here to document things mostly for the good of others.

·
Registered
2017 Versys-X 300
80 Posts
I didn't post with my mileage so as not to embarrass myself. It's too low. 😕

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
yes, most of these kawasaki bikes are made in Thailand. KLX230 that I got recently is made in Indonesia. V1000 is made and assembled in Japan. but bikes made in Thailand (where i currently stay), have high quality control. Also, you need to keep in mind that they use many parts from Japan; not sure about the engine if it is fully made in Thailand or just assembled in Thailand?

KTM and BMW (g310gs) make some of the bikes in India, and there are some quality issues often reported.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
by the way, the 300X has a lower compression than Ninja, so it should last longer, same as with V650 compared to Ninja.

·
Registered
2017 Versys X300
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is a huge running post on adv but it's literally one 500 page long post with everything in it.

Holeshot, you're a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you.

·
Registered
25 Posts

This is not bad, but it seems to me that among 500 pages you can get lost and not find what you need. I prefer when everything is written to the point and without further ado.

·
Registered
348 Posts
This is not bad, but it seems to me that among 500 pages you can get lost and not find what you need. I prefer when everything is written to the point and without further ado.
Yes I as well the way they do it is absolute madness. It's like take a library or book store with no sections and books on no particular order, you'd wander for years before finding what you were looking for.

For what it's worth in the spirit of the thread, I bought my 2019 new in July of 2020 with zero miles on it for $4700 I believe and it has 4,000 miles on it now.

When everything got cold and wet the levers and the general handlebar area started to vibrate and made me think it was the engine but it wasn't it was vibration primarily caused by me putting cheap $15 bar risers on the bike. Since then I bought protaper bars, new levers, and rox risers the vibration is gone the bars look amazing and I still love the bike. I ride most every day 30-40 miles round trip to work and shooting around up in the hills and forrest on weekends never any long trips. I'm not the guy who rides down to southern california and back in 24 hours just to be able to say I ride 50,000 miles a year. I love motorcycles and if my full on adventures burn less than 200 miles in a day I feel like I did something right.

In my experience if you take care of any major name brand bike and service it like the manual says it'll will last longer than you own it. Ignore the intervals and decide not to do things and stuff will break. If the manual says to adjust the valves or synchronize the throttle bodies or whatever else but you don't do it that's on you.

·
Registered
533 Posts
by the way, the 300X has a lower compression than Ninja, so it should last longer, same as with V650 compared to Ninja.
Are you sure about that? I understood that the 300 motors were identical, apart from maybe the ECU.
This site shows the Versys300 and the Ninja 300 as both having a 10.6 to 1 compression ratio.
Perhaps only the 650 is different.

·
Registered
2017 Versys X300
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you sure about that? I understood that the 300 motors were identical, apart from maybe the ECU.
This site shows the Versys300 and the Ninja 300 as both having a 10.6 to 1 compression ratio.
Perhaps only the 650 is different.
Hmmmm....Is this how those 500 page uber forums start. Are we still talking about mileage/lifespan?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had my 300X just over a year now - it is four years old and had 2000 miles on the clock when I bought it. Coming up to 7500 now and valve check time and so far utterly reliable. Had to change the battery though as the original was not holding a charge - but it had been caned - heated grips and clothing, lots of short runs and so on. You can see where the bike is built down to a price when you sit it alongside my CB500X. The rear footrest hangers are cheaply made for example and it has a plain bearing in the swing arm but none of that affects the rideability of the bike and I love it for bashing round the flooded and muddy lanes here in West Norfolk. I will definitely be keeping it a long time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Versys X 300 has only been around for 4 years so probably too early to call it 'bullet proof', like say the SV650 which has been around long enough (and pretty much unchanged) to confidently earn that badge.

I wonder if anyone has over 50,000 kms on their Versys X 300 and how the bike has fared over that time in terms of reliability and repairs?

I know this was asked a while back but can we try and find who has the highest mileage on their Versys X 300 now?
I have a 2017.., bought brand new as my very first bike. Now have 12,000 miles and have only had to replace the OEM chain. Otherwise, no issues. I love My X300! Keep looking at "upgrading", but really don't think I will, at least not for quite a while. I hope to reach 30K :)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts