Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been riding for about a year and a half and never had an issue. I'm planning my first long trips (900 miles ish) and want to start planning a cross country trip. Never had any cramp issues until a ride a few weeks ago from Nashville to Chattanooga. I did about 300 miles total that day. It's been about 3 weeks since that trip and now just about any time I get on my bike for more than about 5 miles my wrist and forearm start hurting. Anyone have any hacks to help with this? I bought a cramp buster and it does help. On that trip I was using a little $20 throttle lock that didn't grip well and I spent more time fidgeting with it than actually getting any real use out of it. Was looking at an Atlas throttle lock to see if that would help.

I typically grip the throttle with my ring and pinky finger and rest my index and middle finger on the brake lever. This is how I've always ridden around in the city and taking my fingers completely off the brake lever feels unnatural on the interstate. Is this how you guys ride on long trips?

The pain/cramping is isolated mostly to my ring and pinky finger and it shoots up that side of my forearm. 31, no known arthritis or anything like that.

Thanks in advance from a newish rider

·
Premium Member
16,186 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 650 Versys LT ABS
40 Posts
Many reasons, however, we are able to wiggle it down to a few ergonomic miss-configurations.
  • check your glove, make sure it's not too tight, or the velcro is to tight
  • fit and make sure the handlebar is centred, I would go so far to say that virtually all solid bars are off centred from the factory
I had to purchase a Renthal Bar, because my frame is large, and my fists were on the inside of the shoulder vs. outside
  • fit your hand to the clutch lever ( make sure you have clutch slack)
  • fit your hand to the throttle lever ( make sure you have throttle slack)
Check out Dave Moss quick "Motorcycle Ergonomics: Fitting the Motorcycle to You" vid.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I broke my wrist 15 years ago, and not to lengthen the story, I have problems with that wrist and when I bought the bike my fingers often went numb or my whole wrist went numb on rides longer than 100km, and I know every 20-30 km to shake my right hand to get back feelings in fingers and wrist
Anyway i buy this :

It reduce 95% of vibration and reduced 90% numbness of the fingers.
Also that foam give you bigger radius of throttle and I like that I have better feeling on throttle.
Really cheap, and I replace them when I feel the sponge getting thinner.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I also would recommend the bar risers. I too have the motowerk ones and they work perfectly. I also use the Kaoko throttle lock, it was about $100 I believe but well worth it. It cranks down tight and releases with ease, I can lock it in and keep between 1-3mph of where I want to be.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do the moto werk risers require any modification to any hoses or wiring? And do they really help with vibration?

·
Super Moderator
19,395 Posts
I'm a fan of the ROX RISERS (2" on both my V650s) because their ANGLE can be changed [moving them towards you, or AWAY from you], while the motowerk ones raise the bars at the SAME ANGLE as the OEM - ie: the handle-bars raise TOWARDS you.

DSC02746 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P9280001 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
16,186 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,186 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rox risers installed. Much more comfortable position, we'll see what its like after a few hundred miles. Thanks for the help!!

·
Super Moderator
19,395 Posts
While I find that EVERYTHING from motowerk is excellent quality, their bar risers move them TOWARDS you at the rise, while the ROX Risers can be moved thru quite a large range to get the position that "works for YOU".

Mine are vertically above the OEM position, so I'm getting the 2" rise at the SAME distance from me as the ORIGINALS were.

DSC02744 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P9280001 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I put tank grips on my bike. This may seem an odd thing to post on a wrist or hand problems thread, but real grips make a huge difference in how your upper body interacts with the bike. If the risers don't help, this is were I'd go next.

Also, dropping your elbows and pulling them closer together helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts