Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you move from the Versys to a Multistrada 1100S for bike plus $3K? Is this a no brainer, a fair deal or no way? The Versys is an '09 with 3K miles with a pipe and juicebox mods. The Ducati Multi 1100S is an '08 with 2.5K miles with the addition of side cases, no other mods. Let me know what you think. Both bikes have 1 year left on warranty. Thanks!:feedback:

·
Registered
959 Posts
what an odd question?
its your bike/ride
its your decision

if you feel you need for other people to make the decision for you, are you certain you are capable of riding, after all riding is all about making continual decisions.

having done a test ride what difference did you notice between the two bikes?

do you feel you need the extra power the Ducati delivers, how many times have you felt low on power on the Versys.

weigh up the pro's and con's of each bike, as to how they appear to you.

what is the attraction of the Ducati
what is the distraction of the Versys
is the Versys limiting your riding enjoyment, and if so in what ways do you believe the Ducati will plug that hole.

'course if all you are trying to do is find a reason to buy (or not) the Ducati then fine.
but ultimately it is all about you

·
Registered
352 Posts
Your bored...snap out of it! Save your money or go out and buy side cases for your V and call it good. Think about the service cost on the DUC. Ok, feel better now?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Call your local Ducati dealer and see what parts they have in stock. Rumor has it that the parts pipeline for Ducati is slow boat from Italy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I own one currently and owned the 1000S before (valves were toast) so got rid of it. Having said that, the 1000S is superior to the Versys in every way, of course it is much more expensive, just wondered what folks thought on the value of the difference. If they were both priced the same, this would be a no brainer, I would take the Duc! Thanks for your feedback.
what an odd question?
its your bike/ride
its your decision

if you feel you need for other people to make the decision for you, are you certain you are capable of riding, after all riding is all about making continual decisions.

having done a test ride what difference did you notice between the two bikes?

do you feel you need the extra power the Ducati delivers, how many times have you felt low on power on the Versys.

weigh up the pro's and con's of each bike, as to how they appear to you.

what is the attraction of the Ducati
what is the distraction of the Versys
is the Versys limiting your riding enjoyment, and if so in what ways do you believe the Ducati will plug that hole.

'course if all you are trying to do is find a reason to buy (or not) the Ducati then fine.
but ultimately it is all about you

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I wouldn't, but that's me. The limited time I have available to devote to motorcycles I prefer to devote to riding them, so for 25+ years I have chosen to ride Japanese marques. In all that time I had one problem: the stator crapped out on a 1989 Honda. Didn't leave me stranded, though I had to push start it a couple times getting home from Vermont. Otherwise, smooth sailing.

People I know who have personal experience with Ducs seem to fall into two categories: current Duc riders who love them despite the expense and hassle of keeping them running, and former Duc riders who had enough of the expense and hassle of keeping them running.

Ride what you like.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I own one currently and owned the 1000S before (valves were toast) so got rid of it. Having said that, the 1000S is superior to the Versys in every way, of course it is much more expensive, just wondered what folks thought on the value of the difference. If they were both priced the same, this would be a no brainer, I would take the Duc! Thanks for your feedback.

So! What do you really want from us? If you have owned Duc’s then you know what kind of deal it is. I thought this would be an interesting tread; unfortunately, very boring at best. Heck, I feel goofy for even responding, sorry.:blah:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Wow, must be the wrong forum to ask such a question. ;)

I would in a heartbeat. Ducatis are beautiful bikes. Working on them wouldn't bother me in the least. But then for me, the more exotic the more fun. My bikes are for purely sporting use - I don't depend on them for my basic transportation.

I've actually thought about buying one of the left over new ones my local dealer has. They are a couple of years old, no miles, come with full warranty, and are half of a new 1200. The hypermotard is an awesome hooligan bike, and the Monster is a cool streetfighter. I have always been drawn to Ducatis. Their paddock is my favorite place to congregate at the shows and races. A new 1200 is not totally out of the question for me either. Would just have to rearrange some of my 'toys'.

Seems to me the 'S' model has Olins suspension - the best you can get. The motors are pretty solid, but the bikes are known to be a little finicky.

·
Registered
131 Posts
People I know who have personal experience with Ducs seem to fall into two categories: current Duc riders who love them despite the expense and hassle of keeping them running, and former Duc riders who had enough of the expense and hassle of keeping them running.

Ride what you like.
well put -

"tough love" is inheirent in many brands - it seems to be part of the attraction :confused:

its a pay to play thing (cost of ownership) and its where ever you're comfortable being i guess. i think people are so adaptable that certain features and benefits become invisible over time but overall reliability floats to the top in value or appreciation.

personally, bmw and hd are two brands i wouldn't rush back to try again anytime soon. not knocking them outright - just saying there's a defensiveness and attitude around the brands that doesn't equate their actual quality. maybe it was just bad luck, who knows but both were very expensive lessons of ownership.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since prices vary country to country, let's just check on the price differential.
Brand new, the Multi price is 2.3X higher than a new Versys, that is NOT a good deal. Now after depreciation the Used Multi price is only 1.8X higher than an equivalent used Versys, maybe now not such a bad deal. That is the crux of my question, at what point on price differential does it make sense to buy the Multi in favor of the Versys. That is what I am mulling over. Thanks.
Read good things on the multistrada.

However, for bang for the buck bike, the V is great.
Guess what a Multi cost here? RM 140,000 = USD 45,000.

I think for daily maintenance and upkeep, the V would be a bargain. Also, It's a FUN bike.

·
Registered
739 Posts
For the extra money that you pay in purchase, maintenance (desmo valves!) and required premium fuel, the return of "riding a Ducati" would not be sufficient for me.
But then I use my motorcycle to commute, not for my Saturday afternoon kicks, so I am being very rational and calculating about it.

In the end, it is what you desire.
If you really want it, go get it.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I commute on the Versys. It's a great bike for urban riding.

Sunday mornings are different, though. They require something a bit more challenging.....

·
Registered
131 Posts
at what point on price differential does it make sense to buy the Multi in favor of the Versys. That is what I am mulling over. Thanks.
on any bike that is even remotely suspect for reliability its probably not worth it because you end up spending more money down the road, sometimes sooner than you think. but as everyone's stated, if the duc puts a smile on your face then there ya are.

my "maybe not such a bad deal" bike cured me with one trip to the dealer . . . . . for a little over 2K in repairs. not doing that again anytime soon :mad: but - its luck of the draw, if it didnt puke id still be on it and it would seem like a good deal.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If I was more wealthy, I would buy the Duc just to fire it up every now and then and listen to it. What a nice sound.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I faced almost the exact same scenario when I bought my V. The 'contender' was a 620 MS w 12K miles. The owner (a consignment shop) wanted $3K for the bike. It had no maintenance records but looked pretty good, except for the wrench "maintenance needed" icon on the instrument panel.. The chain was dry, indicating the dpo didn't do much but ride the bike. While doing my pre-purchase homework I went down to the Duc dealer, who told me it needed belts and a valve adjustment. Around $1200 if they didn't have to touch the valves, which was extra. He guesstimated around $1500 total. I looked into doing it myself, but the procedure on desmo heads isn't something you should read-and-do. I'm sure I could do it myself but I'd need to see it done before I tried it. So I let it go and bought the V. Glad I did: it's all the bike I need.

No looking back.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Well....all I can say, It's one hell of an :yeahsmile:'UGLY':yeahsmile: bike OMG!!!!!!!! ;) :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts