Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking that a larger front wheel (19?) might help the Versys handle better off road, but was wondering if it would be worth it with all the other mods that you would have to do with suspension etc to make it ride decent - or just go and buy a BMW 800GS or a KTM?

·
Premium Member
16,197 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
It's been done but, if you can swing it, go for the BMW or the KTM. They're already set up to be proper dual sport rides. I kind of like the KTM myself...

·
Registered
254 Posts
It's been done but, if you can swing it, go for the BMW or the KTM. They're already set up to be proper dual sport rides. I kind of like the KTM myself...

BMW F800GS... a proper dual sport bike? your kidding right?

Here is a link to a run our DUAL SPORT CLUB did last year. Do you see any BMWs?

No disrespect intended Stud Muffin, it is just that the world needs to define the word "Dual Sport bike" and "Adventure Bike" and "Enduro Bike". I honestly don't know what these mean anymore. It's kinda like the word "SUV" here in Canada. To an old guy like me, me an "SUV" is a Toyota 4 Runner, Chev Blazer or any other passenger vehicle based on a truck with a transfer case, complete with low range. Not a front wheel drive CRV, with the drivetrain from a Civic.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Well that is certainly not the dual sporting we could get away with on the V. Looks like good dirty fun though! So for Clarity, to me...
Adventure Riding - Is a GS1200 loaded for bear.
Dual Sport traditional - Little road a little dirt GS800 material
Dual sport in the V terms - Touring and sport street, light hard pack dirt.
Enduro - Little road a little more dirt and plenty of mud. BMX GX450

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ah, Ok thanks Seeya, it is all cleared up now...?

Wikipedia Quote: "A dual-sport, colloquially known as "dualie" or an "on-off road bike" is a type of street-legal motorcycle that is designed for both on and off-road use."

So I could replace my CR and my Versys with one of these bikes. Cool. I guess I should look for a good used 500 pound, 150hp Ducati Multistrada 1200, because that is on Wikipedia's list of street legal offroad bikes. I would love to pull up on that for our next DS Club run.

Versys and CR for sale.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Was thinking that a larger front wheel (19?) might help the Versys handle better off road, but was wondering if it would be worth it with all the other mods that you would have to do with suspension etc to make it ride decent - or just go and buy a BMW 800GS or a KTM?
I decided it was cheaper to buy a set of sealed for tubeless spokes vs a 800GS.
Woodys X-Lace is the best way to go. They work great off road . . .

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well that is certainly not the dual sporting we could get away with on the V.
Other than riding over the trees, I'd take my V on any of that stuff. Heck, I've ridden down similar trails on street tires just exploring for the heck of it. The only difference is you may not be able to go as fast.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Here is a couple of videos of 2 "offroad" bikes. Can you see the difference?

2014 KTM 1190 Adventure Vs. 2014 KTM 300 EXC

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can not compare an Adventure bike with a thumper or 2-Stroke Dirt bike.

Adding Adventure wheels to a Versys will improve handling off road . . . But not make it a single trail bike.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You can not compare an Adventure bike with a thumper or 2-Stroke Dirt bike.

Adding Adventure wheels to a Versys will improve handling off road . . . But not make it a single trail bike.
Indeed. Obvious to me. The comparison above was to show the drastic difference between Dual Sport Bikes and Adventure Bikes.

The Versys is not a DS bike... The question is, "is the Versys is an adventure bike?" I say it is.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I decided it was cheaper to buy a set of sealed for tubeless spokes vs a 800GS.
Woodys X-Lace is the best way to go. They work great off road . . .

Sorry so late to reply, been traveling, working nose down!

Those look good. Wondering what mods I'd have to do (got the 2012).

Did you have to do major mods to suspension etc? And what did it do to your on road riding experience?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts