Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What鈥檚 up peeps 馃馃徑 Another question if I may. i live in an area where I have to pay for tolls. When I鈥檓 coming up on the pay booth, I let go of the Handel bars to remove my gloves so When I stop I can search for some cash to pay the toll. I鈥檝e noticed the as soon as I let go of said handle bars i get a wobble like I鈥檝e never experienced with any other bike Ive owned. Anyone else experience this? Or am I the only knucklehead who removes his hands from the bars? Is there a steering damper I should look for? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Infamous death wobble. Numerous possible causes. Under inflated tire, loose axle, bad tire, bad or loose steering stem bearings...
Check the easiest stuff first.

Tires are at spec. Axles not loose. I don鈥檛 think the steering stem bearing would go bad at 1800 miles but I will check. Thank you for the info.

Premium Member
2022 Versys X 300
Tires are at spec. Axles not loose. I don鈥檛 think the steering stem bearing would go bad at 1800 miles but I will check. Thank you for the info.
I'm just giving you typical causes. My son's Voyager had the wobble and a new front tire cured it. My Ninja 500 had it and it was a close-to-seized front wheel bearing. Lotta Vulcan owners report new steering stem bearings (or just a tightening) cured theirs. It's not normal, that much is certain.

Registered
Are the tires a front and rear pair? Or are the tires different brands / models? (Probably they are a matching pair, but it's one more thing to check.) How worn are they? What pressures are you running? I suggest 28 psi in the front and 32 psi in the rear.

To your knowledge, has the bike ever been dropped? (Look for scuff marks.)

Have the front forks been raised up through the triple clamps to lower the front end? (Probably not.)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are the tires a front and rear pair? Or are the tires different brands / models? (Probably they are a matching pair, but it's one more thing to check.) How worn are they? What pressures are you running? I suggest 28 psi in the front and 32 psi in the rear.

To your knowledge, has the bike ever been dropped? (Look for scuff marks.)

Have the front forks been raised up through the triple clamps to lower the front end? (Probably not.)
More great questions. Stock height. Tires are a matching set and still meaty. Bike has never been dropped that I can tell. no scuff marks nor scratched paint. I鈥檒l recheck the tire pressures but I believe they are set to 28 and 32.

Premium Member
2022 Versys X 300
More great questions. Stock height. Tires are a matching set and still meaty. Bike has never been dropped that I can tell. no scuff marks nor scratched paint. I鈥檒l recheck the tire pressures but I believe they are set to 28 and 32.
Get the front wheel off the ground and give it a spin...see if the rim is bent, a cord broke in the tire, the front brake drags, etc...

Registered
If you have a buddy with a Versys-X 300 (that doesn't wobble), you could ask him to let you ride it. Compare your bike with his. If you are able to induce a wobble in their otherwise non-wobbly bike, that will be very interesting. Also, compare both bikes back-to-back (wiggle the front forks and spin the wheels). Get him to ride your bike and see if it wobbles for him too.

Purpose: take the rider out of the equation.

If you don't have a Versys-X 300 buddy, then this could encourage you to get out there and network with fellow Versys-X 300 riders in your part of the world. (That has to be a good thing.)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you have a buddy with a Versys-X 300 (that doesn't wobble), you could ask him to let you ride it. Compare your bike with his. If you are able to induce a wobble in their otherwise non-wobbly bike, that will be very interesting. Also, compare both bikes back-to-back (wiggle the front forks and spin the wheels). Get him to ride your bike and see if it wobbles for him too.

Purpose: take the rider out of the equation.

If you don't have a Versys-X 300 buddy, then this could encourage you to get out there and network with fellow Versys-X 300 riders in your part of the world. (That has to be a good thing.)
Only buddies I got are on this forum. 馃馃徑

1 - 20 of 88 Posts