Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! Hope I am posting in the right place.

I have a 15 Versys with 9xxx miles on it. Changed tires recently to Metzler Roadtec Z8.

Tires are amazing, but the bike developed a wobble that starts at 90 MPH and at 100 is a little scary.

Anyone else have this issue? is there a fix?

·
Registered
279 Posts
lots of possibilities. tire out of round, bead not seated properly, bent rim, unbalanced tire, wheel loose... not properly torqued/forgot cotter pin, front and rear wheels not aligned, wheel bearing (noise). damaged shock dampers between wheel an hub could make a wheel wobble. also ossilating fork vibrations some bikes are apparently susceptible to.......

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey! Hope I am posting in the right place.

I have a 15 Versys with 9xxx miles on it. Changed tires recently to Metzler Roadtec Z8.

Tires are amazing, but the bike developed a wobble that starts at 90 MPH and at 100 is a little scary.

Anyone else have this issue? is there a fix?
We need more information to help narrow it down....Did this start right after the tire replacement? what pressures are you running?
did you balance the tires properly?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
started right after. pressure is as per manual. I believe he balanced it properly. I might have to go get it rebalanced.

·
Registered
279 Posts
i seem to recall certain brands of tires on certain bikes can cause the fork oscillation issue at high speeds. very dangerous. how did you get out of it? did you have to bear down on the front end while letting the engine brake itself ?

·
Super Moderator
19,141 Posts
...bead not seated properly....
I suggest you check for this.

As you turn the wheel, hold a finger at the juncture between the tire and rim. IF it's not seated properly, you'll feel an "indent" where it didn't seat.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Yes have a good look at the bead seating all around on both sides... I installed and balanced my Metzeler Roatec Z6 tires myself, and they're perfectly smooth and solid up to a sustained 120 mph. Is it a side to side wobble (tank slapper), or is it more of a jackhammer shake/vibration which would indicate poor balancing?

Do you have an oversized windscreen and/or handguards? I had to lean my 2007's tall windscreen backwards as much as possible by modifying my mounts, which completely cancelled a genuine mid to high speed wobble I had.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts