Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm about to head out of work.. this will be my first intentional ride in the rain of any long duration. i'm prepped with all my waterproof gear and my danger antennas are up.

oh the baby steps we take to become 365 motocommuters :) i almost feel like a kid again!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Good luck.

And more useful:
Stay smooth, keep your distance, and remember that motorcycle tires retain at least about 70% of their maximum grip in the wet, you ain't ridin' on ice yet.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'd say good luck, but you're probably home already.

So, how did it go?

Any new gear on the list?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
What part of Atlanta? Two guys that work for me rode to work today...they weren't looking forward to the ride home. Let us know how it went.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Good luck.

And more useful:
Stay smooth, keep your distance, and remember that motorcycle tires retain at least about 70% of their maximum grip in the wet, you ain't ridin' on ice yet.
70% sure is a lot better than the 10-20% I remember from the 70's on bias tires! Man weren't intersections treacherous in those days? No stop, no go...except sideways that is!:cheers:

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
You have more grip than you think you do. Just steer around wet metal or wood. Wet man hole covers and RR tracks for instance are like ice - don't cross them in a turn leaned over.

·
Premium Member
16,186 Posts
I enjoy riding in the rain. One trip from texas to south carolina on my ole GS 1000L 900 hundred of the 1123 mile trip was in a good hard rain.

·
Registered
718 Posts
You have more grip than you think you do. Just steer around wet metal or wood. Wet man hole covers and RR tracks for instance are like ice - don't cross them in a turn leaned over.
Watch out for the painted stripes in the road too. They are slick when wet.

I add myself to riders that enjoy rain rides. It is cathartic.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Definately keep your distance so that you can try avoid having to brake hard.....that´s probably the worst thing you can have to do in the rain.

Apart from that , try get some kind of treatment for your visor and maybe also something like this http://yamyambiker.com/2008/09/08/review-respro-foggy-anti-fog-mask/ so that you´re not having to continually crack open the visor. Misting is much worse in slow traffic so be careful you suddenly can´t see whilst in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Well, I for one hate riding in the rain. It doesn't matter what kind of gear you have on. If it rains long or hard enough you still get wet and of course that always manages to gather in your crotch.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the rain ride went fine :D

i was dry as a bone except for my feet, which is understandable since my boots aren't waterproof. i knew what i was getting into. as far as new gear goes, that's the only thing i'm lacking.

no close calls. i took it easy and it seemed like most people saw me (even though i act like they don't :)

next time, however, i'll be wearing my reflective safety vest from work for peace of mind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is great owning a bike that you don't have to worry about shinning up right after the ride also! Think of it, a motorcycle that is meant to ride. Glad you are safe.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i'm about to head out of work.. this will be my first intentional ride in the rain of any long duration. i'm prepped with all my waterproof gear and my danger antennas are up.

oh the baby steps we take to become 365 motocommuters :) i almost feel like a kid again!
Good luck!

My first rain ride was even BEFORE I got my first bike. In the stunt school we practiced sharp turns one day, it was my birthday in fact (8th of April). It was snowing first AND then raining. Well, the noob that I was, I managed not to drop or lose control of the machine. I was so goddamn proud of myself... My 23d birthday, first one in the saddle, fair and sqare, when I belive I was born anew.

All I can tell from my experience in rainstorms of various strength: have no fear, just be careful. And don't give in to fatigue.

·
Premium Member
16,186 Posts
If it rains long or hard enough you still get wet and of course that always manages to gather in your crotch.

Sounds more like a Great Lap Dance....:teetertooter:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts