Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got my lazy ass up and put on a radiator guard on my 09 Green Versys...

I had asked questions here on this forum and thank you all for your help! Looks like everyone has created their own version of radiator protector...

I am not sure, but I don't think this has been done before... Let me know what you think...

I took a few pictures, please scroll through...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4053/4288757765_ca2bac6377_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/4288756965_8d51aa4a52_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2696/4288755341_34c55261b2_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4031/4288754823_0e3a633e1a_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2687/4289498380_8d2e0f3bf7_b.jpg

·
Registered
775 Posts
I think a little black paint would help...But kudos on doing it...I still have the imaginary one;)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I agree with contractor would look better painted, and I am intersted what did you use, where did you get it and how much was it, and was it easy to install. A few details please.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I am intersted what did you use, where did you get it and how much was it.
I am guessing the vent off the side of his house , so it was free ...........but consider the damage the vermin will do once they enter , it could end up being a costly mod ...........:D

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I am guessing the vent off the side of his house , so it was free ...........but consider the damage the vermin will do once they enter , it could end up being a costly mod ...........:D
LOL! Like it will attract the varmint looking for a vent, instead of an entrance on the house.
Mounted upside down like that, it will provide great protection from upslung stuff from the front wheel, as well as scoop in more head wind because of its angle. It looks very tric too. :thumb: Have you tried it yet? Does the radiator fan go on more often than before?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi All,

I just have it done this late afternoon. Don't have a chance to test it out yet, but I am pretty sure it will be okay. I will report back after this weekend.

Thanks to everyone that help me when I post questions regarding poor man's radiator; everyone is very creative and have their own way of doing things...

This is actually a vent cover from home depot! They come in 3 colors! White, brown and aluminium. Size is 16x6. I actually like the aluminium, kind of match the other parts of the bike... Not quite, but good enough for me... :)

That's all you need and 6 cable ties!!! Total cost < $5.

There are many type of vent cover. The one I used has build in mesh on the inside. Invader is correct. Mounting it upside down like I did will block off lots of !$#!$#!$&&(^ kicking up by the front tire. They have no chance to hit the radiator at all, even small sands wouldn't get stuck in your radiator now. :)

Ventilation shouldn't be a problem as seen from my pictures. Another important thing is there is a little, very little (2-3mm) gap between the cover and radiator; any find sand that get through that are harmless will not collect at the bottom. They will go straight out from the bottom.

The only thing I am not sure is the cable ties... I know everyone else is using cable ties to tie their protector on the radiator, the ties wouldn't melt... Right? The ties I bought are electrical cable ties.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
The black cable ties you used are more resistant than the white ones. They're probably well up to the task of holding your light aluminum guard. If you're concerned, you might be able to use larger cable ties but they'll probably outlast the rad guard. :clap:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The black cable ties you used are more resistant than the white ones. They're probably well up to the task of holding your light aluminum guard. If you're concerned, you might be able to use larger cable ties but they'll probably outlast the rad guard. :clap:
I hardly ride off road. This setup is not for anyone riding heavy duty off road... May be with some slight modification...:p

Thanks Invader. I got 6 cables ties on the light aluminium protector. Even if a few break, protector should be still in place. I will probably carry a few cable ties just in case...

·
Registered
859 Posts
I did mine last week also.
I went with this solution.

I cut the metal to wrap around radiator sides so by itself it was pretty well fixed. I used zip-ties as well (two points on each side and two at the top) and the two screws on the bottom of the radiator.

Tested it on asphalt road and everything stays in place and at 5℃ there certainly is no over-heating.

Cheers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
a stronger alternative to twist ties is using the 18 inch soft wire from a florist shop!

they use it to wrap the bottom of flowers. it is very pliable by hand and is strong as hell...

i have used it to make permanent repairs on all kinds of outdoor stuff because it is painted and does not rust.

go to a florist and check it out. pm me if you like this also!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I am not sure, but I don't think this has been done before... Let me know what you think...
Looks nicely done, but I'd be worried your bike will overheat on warm (not to mention hot) summer days. That design blocks over 50% of the radiator surface area from getting air flowing through it. Not sure you have seen reports on bikes with the RoMatech rad guard overheating in summer, and those have significantly more open area than this design. I'd watch the fan operation and temp light closely.

Gustavo

·
Super Moderator
19,640 Posts
Here's MINE (also from Home Depot, plus a "soupcon" of 'rattle-can' semi gloss black) for pretty cheap.

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Looks nicely done, but I'd be worried your bike will overheat on warm (not to mention hot) summer days. That design blocks over 50% of the radiator surface area from getting air flowing through it. Not sure you have seen reports on bikes with the RoMatech rad guard overheating in summer, and those have significantly more open area than this design. I'd watch the fan operation and temp light closely.

Gustavo
Thanks for your concern... Do you have a link to RoMatech Rad Guard overhearting problem?

When I first bought my bike and before installing the protector, my bike's fan hardly come on... I have to end up just let it idle till it get hot (took a long long time) and fan come on to make sure the fan is okay...

I will be very surprise if heat become a problem because from the looks of it, it should be okay...

I will report back in a few weeks...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I installed the Romatech radiator guard last spring. Rode all summer in San Antonio Texas with no overheating problems (besides my head and body)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
18 Posts
rad.guard

I put the same thing on mine ,had to remove it as in summer burn you up,tried reversing louver direction,still burn you up,,,sorry

1 - 20 of 25 Posts