Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Back with another question. So I picked up a motorcycle dash cam thingy, and it has three wires I need to connect. Two to the battery +/- and one that's yellow and suppose to go to 'Aux' which I believe I was told would be found in the ignition harness. This way it only turns on when the ignition is on. I believe it has a relay built into it. I checked and found a blue, brown, red and white wire in there. Would any of these work? Or should I use something like the wire for the USB power plug/power outlet?

And speaking of USB plugs, I have an aftermarket one that doesn't seem to read any continuity rating when I test it. It has a glass fuse in it, but even when I checked after the fuse, I wasn't picking up anything. Is there a way to test if it's bad? Could I be doing it wrong? I checked the wires that you'd use to plug it into and those are definitely providing plenty of power.

Any help would be great.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm getting a dash cam soon and would also like to know which wires it connects to. Have you connected it yet or are you still waiting for assistance?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm getting a dash cam soon and would also like to know which wires it connects to. Have you connected it yet or are you still waiting for assistance?
I actually managed to get it sorted out. I used the low-beam positive wire to attach the accessory wire from the camera. So it'll turn on when the bike is turned on (engine is running since low beam stays off until then), and remain on as long as the ignition remains on even if the engine is shut off (it stays powered until the bike is completely turned off at least on my 2016 650). The other wires (+/-) were hooked into the battery as per instructed.

Just tested it out yesterday and worked perfectly!

I used a bit of net sleeve to help make it look a bit cleaner, and zip ties to keep everything organized a bit better.

Which camera were you considering?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Awesome thanks, that helps. And I don't even know which one I want yet, I just want something that's going to provide a stable image and not look so conspicuous. Do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome thanks, that helps. And I don't even know which one I want yet, I just want something that's going to provide a stable image and not look so conspicuous. Do you have any suggestions?
This is the one I just hooked up -

I've attached a front and rear snapshot from video I've taken. It's not bad. Front camera has a mic but it usually gets blasted with wind but besides that it's fairly decent. The front image is about where the letters of the 35mph sign begin to become clearer. Anything beyond that is a little washed out/blurry. Everything closer is pretty easy to read. Nice, wide angle lens, good view. Works pretty decent at night, but the lights from my bike at least on the front, tend to wash out signs.

I'll be posting up a review of it on my youtube channel in the near-ish future. But for a dash cam, it's pretty good.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts