Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I know similar questions have been asked, but I am guessing some tires went obsolete, and some new ones must be on the market.
I am not planning to ride on snow, not for pleasure purposes. I just need to make sure I can ride if I need to. So mostly rain, maybe some harsher conditions. City commute.
I need new tires, that's why I am searching. And, I thought why not look into something all season, with some grip for winter season.
Looking for suggestions. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
I have run SHINKO E705 tires (which are marked "M+S" - mud and snow), which makes them legal during late fall// early spring where I live in BC (for several years in AZ and BC).

I've ridden MANY miles of pavement, and dirt roads on them.

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those Shinko's look mean! Also 80/20, street/trail. Perfect for what I'm looking for. But, I am having difficulty finding the rear.

I found sizes on these;
Michelin Anakee Adventure Tires
Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR Tires

These seem like good options for beginner trail riders. Unfortunately, these don't have the "M+S" - mud and snow.. is that a big deal?
Are there big disadvantages when it comes to street riding with these, cornering etc?

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
...Those Shinko's look mean! Also 80/20, street/trail. Perfect for what I'm looking for. But, I am having difficulty finding the rear....
I am running 150/70 x 17 rears, but I know of at least one other on here who runs them in 170/60.

...These seem like good options for beginner trail riders. Unfortunately, these don't have the "M+S" - mud and snow.. is that a big deal?
Are there big disadvantages when it comes to street riding with these, cornering etc?....
For ME - the E705 tires work GREAT in all conditions I've used them in (running 36PSI F/42PSI R).

...Unfortunately, these don't have the "M+S" - mud and snow.. is that a big deal?....
IF you live where there is a law DEMANDING "M+S" tires between 01 Oct and 30 Apr as there is in BC - EVEN on a sunny, warm day you WILL be ticketed if NOT in compliance, so your riding ENDS on 30 Sept, UNLESS you run M+S tires, as I do!

Here is the regulation QUOTED:
"Winter tires or chains are required on most routes in British Columbia from October 1 to April 30. For select highways not located through mountain passes and/or high snowfall areas, tire and chain requirements end March 31. These routes are marked with regulatory signs posted on highways throughout the province."

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
For you folks not in the Great White North "M&S"(mud &snow) is a tire rated for basic winter driving. Like a 4 season radial tire that can handle some snow or slush. But NOT a real snow tire which you don't run in the summer unless you like watching rubber get worn off a tire at an alarming rate! They have gates here at all the major mountain passes and they can turn you back without at least the M&S (at a minimum) rating stamped on the tire...

·
Registered
Stull no Versys but: Suzuki V-Strom 1000, Vespa P200E, Vespa PK50 XL Automatica, Vespa Sfera
15 Posts
A trip on my V-Strom 1000 (which is gonan be traded in when my versys arrives) ;) going to Val Thorens (French Alps, 2400metres high, january 2012)
These are the TKC80 tyres from Continental. Chains fit in the profile.

And yes we made the chains and snowboard brackets ourselves

Tire Vehicle Sky Wheel Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Snow
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Snow Sky Slope Outdoor recreation Tower

·
Registered
Vx300 14/43: Urban Assault Vehicle
905 Posts
The snow boards remind me of a ride in Southern California. My brother and I were visiting my uncle, who had a Trail 90 for us to get around on. I was 14, but bro had a driver license. We were learning to surf.
So I’m sitting on the back, surf board under each arm. At some point they started catching wind. I couldn’t hold them down anymore and started deploying my “wings”. I was getting some good lift. Enough to float me off the bike, which I’m gripping with my legs for all I’m worth yelling slow down! slow down! Bro finally got the message shortly before I was to become airborne 😂 Good times! Not exactly a snow story, but thought y’all might enjoy it anyway.

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
...For you folks not in the Great White North "M&S"(mud &snow) is a tire rated for basic winter driving. Like a 4 season radial tire that can handle some snow or slush. But NOT a real snow tire which you don't run in the summer unless you like watching rubber get worn off a tire at an alarming rate! They have gates here at all the major mountain passes and they can turn you back without at least the M&S (at a minimum) rating stamped on the tire....
FWIW - The LAST two 130/80 x 17 SHINKO E705 front tires (before the current one!) gave me 27,xxx PLUS and 28,xxx PLUS MILES till I changed them , w/ ZERO miles on snow...!

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
Use or may use? Are there any rules in canada?
I can ONLY quote the rules in BC, so re-read Post #6 and Post #7 for those rules.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts