Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the gas companies have switched their formulas. I've noticed a 4-5mpg drop already.

Reminder to those year round rider folks:

Check tire pressures. Cold temps drop cold tire pressures.

Switch oils to 5w-40. Also, if riding in the elements constantly think about changing oil more frequently. (Walmart sells Rotella T6 5w-40 for 20 bucks a gallon, can't beat that)

If roads are being salted wash bike 2x a week to prevent rust and corrosion.

Lube chain after every encounter with wet weather.

Any other tips are welcome. Post them up!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Well the gas companies have switched their formulas. I've noticed a 4-5mpg drop already.

Switch oils to 5w-40. Also, if riding in the elements constantly think about changing oil more frequently. (Walmart sells Rotella T6 5w-40 for 20 bucks a gallon, can't beat that)

My mileage drops about 5 MPG when it gets cold as well. I think in my case it's because of the winter fuel mix but also the fact that my commute is only about 15 miles and when it's cold the bike never gets off high idle the whole trip.
Other winter riding issues, hmmmm.
Here's one that gets overlooked alot, be careful riding around other road uses that are experiencing limited ability to see due to frost, ice or snow on windows and mirrors.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My mileage drops about 5 MPG when it gets cold as well. I think in my case it's because of the winter fuel mix but also the fact that my commute is only about 15 miles and when it's cold the bike never gets off high idle the whole trip.
Here's one that gets overlooked alot, be careful riding around other road uses that are experiencing limited ability to see due to frost, ice or snow on windows and mirrors.
I think it has a lot to due with the fuel mixture. My bike gets to running temp pretty quickly, but I still see the drop in mpg.

Get a volt meter, watch your battery level as heated grips and gear suck a lot of juice.

When not riding the bike for a few days make sure to hook it up to the tender. Cold kills batteries real quick

·
Premium Member
16,113 Posts
You should check into a Therm-O-Bob...

IMG_0101 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0099 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
16,113 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,113 Posts

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
I think in my case it's because of the winter fuel mix but also the fact that my commute is only about 15 miles and when it's cold the bike never gets off high idle the whole trip.
How cold are you talking? It should still be off high idle within a few minutes in the mid-30's F ambient. You could try covering part of your radiator. You have no radiator guard?

I actually switched to a custom fitted Stant SuperStat with bypass hole drilled 9% smaller than on stock thermostat. It's off high idle after idling for 45 seconds in about 60 F ambient.

·
Banned
895 Posts
Mine goes off high idle in 60'f after about 30 secs, but that's nothing to do with Winter riding.
The best way to quickly warm up the bike on cold winter mornings is to start it up a few minutes sooner & let it idle, in your garage if you can stand the fumes, if not, use your neighbours' garage!!!:clap:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
How cold are you talking? It should still be off high idle within a few minutes in the mid-30's F ambient. You could try covering part of your radiator. You have no radiator guard?
If it's colder than mid 40s F, my bike stays at high idle the whole trip to work. I know this because I've got a couple stop signs and stop lights, when I stop at those, it's still idling at 1000 RPMs or higher. If I get caught at the lights long enough it'll settle down to normal idle though.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I don't experience the winter mileage drop but I don't live where the weather is that extreme (South Texas). Kawasaki uses the same 160 F thermostat in all its water cooled bikes. The Versys really needs a temp gauge.

·
Premium Member
16,113 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
X 2 (or more) on the Thermo-Bob!

Tip? Be REALLY careful when you enter corners where you will ride INTO a shaded part. Look for frost.

·
Banned
895 Posts
Eddie........................you are missing your very own mantra on Winter riding!

Move houses when it starts to get cold & head South!!!!:goodidea:

·
Registered
688 Posts
+1 on the Therm-0-Bob. I'm off high idle in under 30 seconds.

I also have reduced MPG in the winter months but I suspect it has more to do with the 1-3 minutes I let my bike idle while it and hand warmers heat up.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts

I noticed this too, then realized it was because in the colder temperatures I was going for shorter rides in the city at slower speeds and avoiding long runs on the highway that produced the best mileage.

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
Eddie........................you are missing your very own mantra on Winter riding!...
Down here in AZ you can get frost overnight in the Phoenix area (expecting frost for the NEXT week or so...), so later in the day while riding you should EXPECT it, and ride accordingly IF you don't want to low-side on a tight corner...!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts