Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Winston-Salem, NC Tech Day - 9/6 Confirmed!

I mentioned in my Member Intro thread that I would try to pull together a tech day for the Piedmont area of NC in late September. I'm actually thinking about doing it either the 1st Saturday of September (9/6) or the last Saturday of September (9/27). I have conflicts the other two weekends.

There is a group ride scheduled for Sunday, 9/7 (see this thread), so it might not be a bad idea to do a tech day just before the ride so folks can get themselves and their rides ready. If that schedule is too aggressive, though, we can always do it later in the month. Personally, I'm like a kid at Christmas with this kind of stuff, so waiting is always a bad thing.

How about weigh in here and we'll figure out which day works best for the most folks. Obviously there will be someone that has to get left out because of schedule conflicts, but hopefully this will the first of many to come.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Chris,

I vote for 09/06! Other than get my first service from the dealer, checking tire pressure and lubing the chain ONCE, I have done diddly squat on my bike.

Confession (and I got no shame admitting it!) - dont know what else to do and how....so hoping to pick it up watching you and anyone else meeting up go through the paces! :)

Cheers and I hope I'm not a burden on you guys for walking me thru this stuff!

I do have the Givi screen I picked up if anyone else wants to try on tech day....my 0.00002 cent contribution! :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
9-6 works for me. I work on Saturday mornings and will have a ballgame that afternoon but should be able to come by for a while:thumb:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, 9/6 it is then. I will advertise on the UK forum as well because there seems to be a decent number of US folks that frequent there as well. If you guys don't mind, I'm also going to invite some KLR guys because there is a lot of crossover interest between KLRs and the Versys.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW, I had a KLR guy ask me about what exactly goes on at a tech day. He was under the impression it was an organized instructional session with an agenda and so forth.

I guess "tech day" means different things to different people, but to me it's just an assigned time and meeting place where folks can gather to wrench on their bikes. There is no set list of topics or jobs people will do. Usually each person that comes has a list in their mind of the things they would like to accomplish. Usually no one gets everything on their list done because we get to talking and gooning at each other's bikes.

Another great thing about tech days is the chance to see (and sometime try out) different farkles for bikes (like De-Silva offered above with his Givi screen). I imagine a lot of add-ons have been purchased on the internet on the Monday or Tuesday following tech days. :)

Anyway, the bottom line is that the tech day will be whatever we want it to be.

I for one will be doing some of the following, unless I get some items done before the day or some of the stuff doesn't show up in time. :mad:

1. Trim license plate "rat tail"
  2. Install radiator guard
  3. Install throttle lock
  4. Install crash bars
  5. Install fuse block
  6. Install Stebel Nautilus horn
  7. Install & wire auxiliary power plug
  8. Mount GPS unit
  9. Lube swingarm bearings
  10. Install new grips
  11. Install handguards
  12. Trim plastic around stock tool kit to allow larger tool roll
  13. Install new footpeg brackets & footpegs
  14. Try out De-Silva's Givi windscreen
Anyone want to guess whether or not I'll finish my list or not? Does the list ever get finished? :confused:

·
Registered
54 Posts
My list will be a simple one,

Distract DragonBreath long enough to substitute his V with my V,then sit back and enjoy watching all the cool goodies getting put on my V:yeahsmile:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I hear you. I guess the list is pretty long.

The thing is, I got really lucky on the sale of another motorcycle and made some pretty good money on it. It left me with enough to by the V and have some fun money left over to mold it into what I wanted it to be. I'm planning a cross-country trip on it in May so the time between now and then is dedicated to outfitting it as a light touring bike. Nothing like being able to spend a little money on the bike guilt-free. :yeahsmile:

After all of this stuff goes on, though, it's back to scrimping and saving for each new item.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I want to check out your radiator guard and hand guards,those are 2 things I want to ad for sure. My last dirtbike that I bought new last October I brought home and first thing tore it apart to the frame.Wife thinks I am crazy but now I know what I got.Plan to tear the V down to the frame over the winter and lube and inspect evrything. I just dont trust dealers to work on my stuff.Wrenching on them is my second hobby:thumb:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want to check out your radiator guard and hand guards,those are 2 things I want to ad for sure. My last dirtbike that I bought new last October I brought home and first thing tore it apart to the frame.Wife thinks I am crazy but now I know what I got.Plan to tear the V down to the frame over the winter and lube and inspect evrything. I just dont trust dealers to work on my stuff.Wrenching on them is my second hobby:thumb:
Here's a pic of the radiator guard that I got made for me. It's a pretty cool story actually.

I saw a version on Ebay and on other site from a German company. You've probably seen it as well. It's the one with the Versys logo cut into the metal. I liked the idea of the guard, but I didn't like the Versys logo in it (cheesy IMO) and I certainly didn't like the pricetag. Then I came across a guy from South Africa on the UK forum that had fabbed up one of his own. He offered the Autocad file to anyone that wanted it. I shot him a PM and had the file via email about an hour later. I asked a guy at work to give me a hand cutting the piece out of metal with either a laser cutter or router. He was willing to do either, but suggested that we use thick plastic instead of metal so that we could do the work iady black so it's not flashy.
n-house instead of sending it out. He took it upon himself to do a prototype which looked pretty good. It was not as strong as a metal one of course, so he suggested putting in a cross-member to stiffen it up. What you see is the 2nd iteration. I think it's pretty much perfect. Light. Strong enough. Already black so it's not too flashy.

I haven't mounted this one yet, but the prototype fit really well so this one should be even better. I had him open up the bolt holes just a bit to give a little wiggle room.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Path to pic changed. I tried to update post above but it's not working. Here's the pic.

·
Registered
159 Posts
hey man thats awsome, swaping autocad files..... if only we all had water jets and cnc machines, we could do just about anything, do you by chance still have that file?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey man thats awsome, swaping autocad files..... if only we all had water jets and cnc machines, we could do just about anything, do you by chance still have that file?
camaro, I am sure I still have it somewhere. If anyone wants it, just shoot me your email address and I will send it your way.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Skeeter190 and I have traded PMs about the possible weather impact on this weekend's tech day (Saturday) and group ride (Sunday). Obviously it's a bit early to to say anything for sure, but I thought it might be helpful for folks to have some idea of a general plan - at least for the tech day.

Unless there is some really, really strange weather going on (like a big inland hurricane push ala Hugo), then the tech day is a go rain or shine. I have a fairly large 2-car garage that will serve as our work space. I will move my wife's van out onto the driveway and we will have plenty of room to work. I will have to get creative with some lighting, but it should be pretty good.

I normally start pretty early on tech days, but folks can trickle in whenever they want. My experience is that the earliest folks usually show up around 7 or 7:30 and others arrive as late as 9 or 10. I think we're looking at a very small group for this one. My guess is that it will be as few as 3 or 4 and as many as 6 or 7.

The bigger concern in my mind is Sunday's ride, but I guess all we can do is watch and wait at this point.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey Chris.

It doesn't look good for me making it down to your tech/ride get together. Even though my dad, sis and gramps live in High Point I can't swing it this weekend. Have Cowboy Mouth tickets friday night and a close friends 40th surprise party saturday night. I will make it down this fall and maybe we can hook up for a cold beer or lunch. Other than a givi screen (Don ;)), raised the seat bracket up 5/8" (looks like ****), and put some soft Ortlieb bags on, I don't have anything exciting to bring to your bling party. My biggest mod has been the new T2 bar, rox risers, and grips. After 600 miles this weekend, the new setup is SO sweet!

As much fun as our bikes are on the twisties and just over 1,100 on my odo, I just CAN'T get on the slab (I40, especially) and come out of these hills! I'll meet you in the flatland and talk bikes all day long. If we're a ridin'...you're gonna have to haul your ass up here:D

I hope the weather holds for you. Have a great weekend.

cheers,
/neil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts