Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever removing your V windshield or re-adjusting its height, or turning it upside down, several have lamented the fact that they lost the nut, bushing, or whatever as it fell down the front of the bike.

Gravity is what it is, and does what it does.

An easy remedy is to drape a towel or rag beneath the nuts holding the windshield in place. And, if you do drop one, it will fall on the towel and you will not lose it.

Just a thought, hope someone finds it worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Good tip. I suppose this tip is for the 07 to 09 models.

For the 2010 V, the well nuts won't fall inside the instrument panel but there is a risk it may get torn up from excessive brute force while trying to remove them. I found the front well nuts extremely difficult to pull off or unplug and pretty much impossible by hand power, well my hands and fingers aren't that strong. This is due to the fact that the hole is kinda small compared to the rear holes/bung. The smaller hole is caused by a alignment mismatch between 2 plastic panels that are laminated together.

While the rear well nuts can be removed by hand, and WD40 would help to make it more slippery, the front well nuts needs more force to unplug. Apart from WD40, a narrow nose plier would be really handy to have. To avoid tearing the rubber plugs up, carefully pull the nuts out as far as you can with your fingers. I think it should come out about 3 to 4mm before it becomes impossible to move out any further. use the narrow nose pliers, one jaw inside the bore and the other jaw, as much as possible grip the body (not the flange) of the nuts, and pull out but not all the way. Do it at the 4 quadrants slowly until the nut comes off.

I had tried using the screws to mount into the well and act as a place holder for the plier and then pull them out but I didn't want to risk messing up the screw from the tight clamping jaws. If you have a longer screw, that may help.

·
Premium Member
7,781 Posts
Whenever removing your V windshield or re-adjusting its height, or turning it upside down, several have lamented the fact that they lost the nut, bushing, or whatever as it fell down the front of the bike.

Gravity is what it is, and does what it does.

An easy remedy is to drape a towel or rag beneath the nuts holding the windshield in place. And, if you do drop one, it will fall on the towel and you will not lose it.

Just a thought, hope someone finds it worthwhile.
Trying using masking tape once you have loosen the nut/bolts. Works and never need to drop and spend hours finding missing bolts/nuts.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
665 Posts
The only sure way to keep from losing these parts is to have plenty of spares on hand. :D

This is why I just picked up four new rubber dampers for the windshield at the dealer yesterday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts