Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have the T-Rex racing engine and luggage guards, and a couple hundred miles on my bike--first service is coming up before long. It occurred to me that the engine guards, as much as I love them, sit awfully close to the fairings... fairings that occasionally need to come off for maintenance. In fact, the bars sit right in front of a couple of bolts, and maaaaay even prevent a hex key from getting in there. Not sure yet--the auto hobby shop doesn't open until the weekends and I'm tool-less while I'm in Oklahoma.

Those of you with a crash guard setup, a couple of questions:

1) Have you ever had to uninstall your guards to get your fairings off?

2) If you take the bike in for a dealer service, do THEY charge extra to take off and reinstall your guards? Or are they better equipped (or willing?) to work around them?

All of a sudden those beautiful, beautiful engine guards are looking a lot less desirable if it means taking them off and on and off and on, and especially if it means paying for an additional hour of labor per job I need done. Not to mention the significant additional wear on the engine bolts! Gulp. Anyone have any insights?

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have them on my '15. The side fairings do remove with the bars in place though it is a bit fiddley.

Unknown if a shop will charge extra, I guess it depends. I've checked the valves with them in place, no problemo.

BTW when you do have those side fairings off, remove the metal shoe clip that holds the turn signal on. That will save the fairing if your bike decides to take a dirt nap.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not only did I remove the bolts and plates holding the turn signals in, while in there I 'glassed the inside of the fairings around them for extra strength. Those darn turn signals definitely stick out too far and touch the ground when you drop the bike (don't ask me how I know) but at least now they just pop out and I can pop them back in again. My most recommended Versys mod!

-dm

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I recommend replacing the front turn signals with mini sized LED signals. That way they won't hit the pavement in a tip-over or slide. LEDs are brighter than the stock signals, too. Simple plug-play with a cheap load matching resistor adapter available everywhere.

rg-racing.com has everything you need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.