Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 build V ABS and just picked up some 09 wheels and discs from a parted out 09 Non ABS V.

I can see that there is a small ABS inner wheel on top of the discs on my V, can these be removed and fitted to the 2009 non ABS discs?

From what I can see in the pics, the front discs look identical with the same mounting holes needed for the ABS wheel. The rear disc does not appear to have the required holes for mounting the ABS wheel.

The other problem will be that the inner ABS wheel looks like it is riveted to the disc, I can not tell without removing the wheel and disc. If it is riveted then I will of course need an ABS specific disc.

Front Discs

Attachments

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
The ABS reluctor ring is riveted to front brake rotor. They also have different part numbers... Your rivets could possibly be drilled out to re-rivet ABS reluctor onto replacement rotor.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, saved me from having to pull the wheel off to confirm.

Any idea what are the best value discs for 10+ ABS Front & Rear?

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
You might be able to drill out the rivets, then attach the ABS reluctor ring along with the rotor mount bolts, if there's enough room within the forks for the slightly raised rotor mount bolt heads (reluctor ring thickness).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will have to buy new abs discs as I bought the spare wheels to put off road tyres on so I wanted them to have the abs discs already on for quick swapping.

Or maybe I am better without ABS offload? I presume that fitting non ABS discs to an ABS bike will have no impact on braking except for a lack of ABS and maybe a permanently on brake light?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
ABS is not desirable on loose surfaces like dirt or gravel. This is because you cannot brake on these surfaces without some wheel lockup. ABS can prevent the brakes from functioning properly on loose surfaces.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts