Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading lots of ADV bike reviews (just for kicks, not thinking of getting something else) and it seems for an extra charge or when you buy a more off roadable model, you get spoked wheels. What advantage do they offer for people doing tougher off road rides? Can you still get a tubeless tire on spoked wheels. I can see myself plugging a puncture on a tubeless tire and getting it reinflated, but changing a tubed tire (unless it is on a bicycle) is beyond my pay grade.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
you can put a tubeless in a spoked rim but the big reason is they can take a ding and get fixed and cast rims like to crack , also a tubeless tire doesnt have a bead that seals like a tubeless does

Reactions: AdamG

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
To add to what Silviefox has said, it's A LOT cheaper to replace a spoke or two than an entire cast wheel should it, or they in the case of spokes, get damaged while thrashing around off the pavement. The wilderness can be terribly unforgiving.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
oh might i also add that it adds more low end weight making a better center of gravity :nerd:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
we have cast wheels on our bikes because they're cheaper to manufacture...if you can afford it spokes are the way to go...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Cast wheels are super easy to keep clean. Spoked wheels are not. For road riding only, I think Cast is the way to go. Don't hit any atomic potholes, and no worries. Offroad is a different story, but taking the Versys into any real offroad sitiations is a poor choice in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
they are better for the road and every day use. they tend to be lighter also since a lot of the spoked wheels use steel rims for strength.

you can get aluminum rims for spoked wheels but then you lose a lot of the strength. the spoked rims are trailside repairable and the steel rimmed wheels are less likely to get a bent lip.

trade offs on all fronts.

now running tubeless tires offroad with a TUbliss system might be the best combination.
TUbliss Motorcycle Dirt Bike Durable Tires | Nuetech

works as a rim lock, spoke seal, and runflat all at the same time.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
cast wheels will carry your 450# Versys anywhere the bike would be reasonably expected to travel.
but i dont ride in anyway reasonable or how expected >:)

·
Registered
746 Posts
I prefer cast wheels . For me less maintenance. I know I suck at it but it has always for me been a pain in the ass to true a spoked wheel.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
but i dont ride in anyway reasonable or how expected >:)
then you will trash some wheels, cast or spoked, no matter.

road conditions that look likely to damage a wheel are the same places that are extremely inconvenient to have any moto damage, like wheels. my thinking is this... "i need to ride this bike outta here, don't break it."

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
In addition - spoked wheels tend to absorb nasty bumps rather than crack or dent like a cast rim. They are springier than cast wheels, and ride better in the dirt.

Depending on the spoked rim design, it may or may not be able to accept a tubeless tire (without adding a inner tube).

But, if the spokes are attached to the rim via an external flange, then its tubeless.

And some tubeless spoked rims have a inner band that seals the spokes from the tire area, thus holding the air in without the use of an inner tube.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,119 Posts
To add to what Silviefox has said, it's A LOT cheaper to replace a spoke or two than an entire cast wheel should it, or they in the case of spokes, get damaged while thrashing around off the pavement. The wilderness can be terribly unforgiving.
Running cast wheels is OK off-road, but you should NOT air-down, as that removes protection from the rims. Check on jdrocks' rides, and experiences w/ tire pressures.

Cast wheels are super easy to keep clean. Spoked wheels are not. For road riding only, I think Cast is the way to go. Don't hit any atomic potholes, and no worries. Offroad is a different story, but taking the Versys into any real offroad sitiations is a poor choice in my opinion.
Again - see jdrocks - MANY thousands of miles on dirt and gravel on cast wheels, w/ (I believe) NO issues of bent rims.

Riding two days back, on desert dirt, I hit a VERY large hole which made one 'helluva' bang.... Front Tourance 130/80x17 at 36 psi - rim still OK.

·
Super Moderator
19,119 Posts
...Depending on the spoked rim design, it may or may not be able to accept a tubeless tire (without adding a inner tube)....
Years ago I spent a couple of days converting the wheels on my KLR 650 (an '04) to tubeless, and they worked VERY well after that, tubeless. In fact, after sitting all winter in Canada in the garage, when I got back in the spring, the pressure was still w/in 5 psi of what I'd left them w/, and that was w/ Shinko 705 tires on.

AIN'T all that difficult...!

>:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts