Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first import bike I've had with a rubber mounted regulator/rectifier. It's solid-state, and potted; nothing to shake about, so why rubber mount it? In the old days, with dc generators and regulators with movable contacts, I could understand why, but why is a modern bike rubber mounting the regulator?

·
Registered
364 Posts
If the whole board is potted even that wouldn't be a concern.
Maybe easier on the electrical connections to the rectifier?
I can imagine flexing from vibration might make cables go brittle and crack.
It's a pretty critical part, especially miles from home.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
The regulator/rectifier case doesn't have to be earthed, so it can be rubber mounted or mounted onto a surface that is not grounded. Vibration, heat and voltage spikes are the major causes of electronic component failure. The solid mounted parallel twin vibrations can cause internal capacitors, diodes, transistors, resistors, etc leads loosening over time. Some stamp welded heavy diode connections can vibrate loose, or break when subjected to heating and cooling cycles as well. A real wheel hugger or splash guard like the custom one I made and bolted to battery box helps reduce splash cool downs.

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/VoltageRectifierFAQ.htm#VR (click on: 'VR Autopsy' near bottom of 1st page)

http://www.qsl.net/iz7ath/moto/regolatore/regulator01.htm

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
potting (encasing everything in epoxy) should take care of all that....and the wires vibrating, well, then everything should be rubber mounted. I think of all the bikes with the R/R mounted on the front of the bike, right in line of splashing, so I don't think that's a concern, either. I wonder if it had something to do with noise, the fins vibrating at an engine harmonic? Not really important, but I noticedwhen I replaced the mounting plate with an aluminum plate yesterday, for a better heatsink. If it rains today, it's the ziptie quick throttle mod....happy winter modding, everyone.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It was 17 degrees the other morning riding to work, not sure if I'll be needing a heatsink any time soon.

To be honest I'm not even sure what rubber you're talking about.
I just went out and had a look at mine (and eyeballed my new 650r stator cover for fitment) and I didn't see any rubber. It looks to me like the rectifier bolts to a sheet metal bracket which bolts to the frame, no rubber no where.

I didn't take it off or anything though, because it's cold as hell here.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the plate that the r/r is mounted to is rubber mounted to another plate that bolts to the frame...the only solution I can think of is that it was a summer job for an engineering intern at kawasaki who is related to the boss...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts