Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to park my bike with the handle facing right.
The bike will shift its weight more on the stand and tendency to fall over is reduced.
Why does the V handle lock is only possible when handle is facing left ?
Is there some science to it ?
My older bike locks both ways.
:dgi:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A friend of mine aways turns his bars the wrong way. He says it is easier to get on and off the bike, and easier to get it off the sidestand. Every manual I have ever read says to turn the bars to the left.
Your friend and I must be the odd ones out :)
What explanation does the manual give regarding this practice ? There must be one.

Mine is the gen-2 year 2013 and allows you to lock left only
Maybe gen-1s are able to lock either way?

·
Premium Member
16,143 Posts
Mine's an 09 and you can turn the bars to the right and turn it off and get your key out but the bars won't lock.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I can lock my 2007 with handlebar turned left only... I can also lock it with the ignition key turned fully clockwise and removed at the "Park" ('P' with light beam symbol) position which leaves the tail light on.

Lock with handlebar turned to the right? I don't think so.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bars turned to left

I agree with the logic of the owners manuals. With the bars turned to the left the motorcycle is much less likely to fall because the side stand folds up, as in the case when the motorcycle is facing downhill and one has forgotten to leave it in gear. With the bars turned to the left it is much harder for the motorcycle to roll forward, it will actually force more weight back on the stand as the motorcycle tries to creep forward. Whereas with the bars turned to the right pointing away from the stand , forward movement of the motorcycle will cause a lifting of the stand if the force is strong enough.

Go to your motorcycle and try it yourself, leaving the full weight of the motorcycle on the stand, simply push hard forward on the handlebars with them turned to the left, and then try it with them turned to the right. Be prepared to catch you motorcycle if you push to hard when turned to the right.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My '09 will lock either way, but you sometimes have to finesse the bars a bit.

Bars to the left is definitely more stable, but I park turned right half the time anyway. I'm sure it'll bite me in the ass eventually.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My '09 will lock either way, but you sometimes have to finesse the bars a bit.

Bars to the left is definitely more stable, but I park turned right half the time anyway. I'm sure it'll bite me in the ass eventually.
maybe they only did the blue ones right, mine locks both directions

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure it really matters as to which way you lock the bars, both my last bikes only locked to the right which was annoying as I live in London where motorcycle parking is tight most times and everyone elses locks to the left haha!

·
Registered
259 Posts
With the bars turned to the left the motorcycle is much less likely to fall because the side stand folds up, as in the case when the motorcycle is facing downhill and one has forgotten to leave it in gear.
Just wondering....what if the bike is facing uphill? :huh:

·
Registered
111 Posts
After this we can discuss why all bikes have the kick stand on the left and not on the right. :) :) :)

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts