Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Team-V.

I finally got around to it...

This is a new bike for me - a 2015 (orange) with 20,000 km and (supposedly) logbook(ish) servicing at the dealer, the last service was at about 18k. The bloke I bought it off had a very clean garage/jet ski/4wd etc, but was more into dirt bikes - the V was his first (and only) road bike.

But it ran rough at low revs & small throttle openings - I put this down to lack of use. After an hours ride home & another hour out through the hills, plus fresh premium fuel (from a real servo, not a supermarket), it still ran rough.

Then it sat for 2+ months.

I started it this afternoon & ran like a... well, it didn't run well at all.

Idle was all over the place.
It would rev, but then fall back to a very low idle, even stalling.
Black smoke out of exhaust.

So, I'm confused - if the plugs are only 2k km old, why are they so fouled?

I will replace the plugs, but am concerned that there is a real problem causing this.

The air filter is ok, but will be replaced.

I'll have another look tomorrow for loose & split hoses, freely moving throttles etc.

Have any of you fine people got any ideas about what could be the cause of over-fueling & running rough?

Cheers, OBD

·
Premium Member
7,772 Posts
https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/spark-plug-failure-analysis/
Some material for your reference. spark plug failure is due to many variable in engine operations. assuming your bike fuel system is okay and air supply is not clogged , then the only problem will be your plug itself which may be incorrect, fitting , age, thermal expansion , high torque fitting, or ignition coils. try a new set and keep monitoring. if possible check valve settings.

·
Administrator
9,039 Posts
Greetings Team-V.

I finally got around to it...

This is a new bike for me - a 2015 (orange) with 20,000 km and (supposedly) logbook(ish) servicing at the dealer, the last service was at about 18k. The bloke I bought it off had a very clean garage/jet ski/4wd etc, but was more into dirt bikes - the V was his first (and only) road bike.

But it ran rough at low revs & small throttle openings - I put this down to lack of use. After an hours ride home & another hour out through the hills, plus fresh premium fuel (from a real servo, not a supermarket), it still ran rough.

Then it sat for 2+ months.

I started it this afternoon & ran like a... well, it didn't run well at all.

Idle was all over the place.
It would rev, but then fall back to a very low idle, even stalling.
Black smoke out of exhaust.

So, I'm confused - if the plugs are only 2k km old, why are they so fouled?

I will replace the plugs, but am concerned that there is a real problem causing this.

The air filter is ok, but will be replaced.

I'll have another look tomorrow for loose & split hoses, freely moving throttles etc.

Have any of you fine people got any ideas about what could be the cause of over-fueling & running rough?

Cheers, OBD
You are onto something. First do you have a digital meter? You mention you replaced the plugs. You need to check the connectors, the air pressure sensor in the right side of the air box . The sensor on the left side of the gas tank. All the vacuum hoses . Also the airbox can be a challenge mounting, are you certain it is sealed to the throttle bodies. Last have you done the valve shim check?

Depending on your response, you may need to check the main and subthrottle with a meter. For now, unplug then plug back in. One example, if you unplug the subthrottle , it will run, but much like you describe. Those plugs are fouled from a rich mixture. At some point you may need to follow other similar postings.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/191-technical-discussion-how-posts-all-models/130682-running-rough.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/191-technical-discussion-how-posts-all-models/223837-vacuum-sync-throttle-body-sync-modifications.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/191-technical-discussion-how-posts-all-models/223835-vacuum-sync-vacuum-hose-mod-tps-voltage-settings-mk-3-a.html

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
How much old gasoline was left in it when you added premium fuel? Check your IAT sensor connection on airbox, IAP sensor hose from left TB's outer fitting and vacuum fitting rubber caps on both TB's, PAIR valve hose from valve cover to airbox, crankcase to airbox vent hose, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
plugs

https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/spark-plug-failure-analysis/
Some material for your reference. spark plug failure is due to many variable in engine operations. assuming your bike fuel system is okay and air supply is not clogged , then the only problem will be your plug itself which may be incorrect, fitting , age, thermal expansion , high torque fitting, or ignition coils. try a new set and keep monitoring. if possible check valve settings.
Thanks -
The plugs are the correct ones & probably around 7 - 8,000 km old (not 2k as I thought previously).
That black stuff wipes off dry.
Not the valves!!!

OBD

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

You are onto something. First do you have a digital meter? You mention you replaced the plugs. You need to check the connectors, the air pressure sensor in the right side of the air box . The sensor on the left side of the gas tank. All the vacuum hoses . Also the airbox can be a challenge mounting, are you certain it is sealed to the throttle bodies. Last have you done the valve shim check?

Depending on your response, you may need to check the main and subthrottle with a meter. For now, unplug then plug back in. One example, if you unplug the subthrottle , it will run, but much like you describe. Those plugs are fouled from a rich mixture. At some point you may need to follow other similar postings.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/191-technical-discussion-how-posts-all-models/130682-running-rough.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/191-technical-discussion-how-posts-all-models/223837-vacuum-sync-throttle-body-sync-modifications.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/191-technical-discussion-how-posts-all-models/223835-vacuum-sync-vacuum-hose-mod-tps-voltage-settings-mk-3-a.html

Thanks

No digital multi-meter, but a good investment, so I'll get one

The plugs haven't been changed this time (yet), I've checked the service records & they are probably 7 - 8,000km old (not 2k as I thought).

All the electrical connectors looked good (firmly seated, no moisture) when I disassembled, I've also checked all the others I could find - same.

The airbox to throttle body mounts appeared to be seated correctly.

I found an extra vacuum hose, photo in new post below.

Not the valves - the KLR is bad enough.

I had a brief read of those links, thanks heaps, but all this electrickery makes my head hurt.

Appreciate your time!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you have bad gas. look at the plugs... classic. Once they're fouled like that they won't clear. Dump the tank and replace the plugs. Shortcut it and you'll be doing it again.
How much old gasoline was left in it when you added premium fuel? Check your IAT sensor connection on airbox, IAP sensor hose from left TB's outer fitting and vacuum fitting rubber caps on both TB's, PAIR valve hose from valve cover to airbox, crankcase to airbox vent hose, etc.
Thanks

The PO claimed he always used premium fuel (but I don't know if it was from a real servo that got it from the local refinery, or a supermarket who got it from overseas).

I refilled when near empty. Easy enough to replace with fresh stuff.

Is there a drain/fuel water separator like on a carby? I suppose the filter is inside the tank with the pump.

The connectors all "looked" good.

I found the vacuum fittings & hose - see photo in new post below.

Cheers, OBD

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the ideas.

The plugs are (unfortunately) the correct NGK IR CR9EIA-9.

All this electrickery... I'd much rather pull a carby apart.

I checked the average fuel consumption on the trip computer; 8.6 km/litre (it should be around 20 km/litre) - that's less than half the distance per litre/more than double the fuel used than I was expecting. So I would guess that this has actually been a problem for a long time.

And I found this,

a vent hose from the left side throttle body that goes to the front, but I can't find where to connect it. And the end is split. Any clues?
I had a look at the underside of the air box - nothing, and we don't get the fuel evap canister. Next, off to find a parts diagram.
The covers on the 2 vacuum ports were in good condition & securely in place.

All the electrical connections that I could find were in good condition - firmly connected & with no moisture.

Do any of the sensors (inside air box, throttle position, are there any others?) have a reputation for failing? Are they able to be tested? Is there computer diagnostics to check?

At least it's cloudy & cold so I don't have to feel bad about not riding today.

Cheers, OBD

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did he? Did he really?

That vacuum hose - I figured it out! - goes from the left side throttle body to the Pressure Sensor

This is what it should look like

but my hose end was split & disconnected.

Could this have been the problem all along?

I'll get new plugs and air filter this week... and hope that it really was just something simple...

·
Administrator
9,039 Posts
That vacuum hose - I figured it out! - goes from the left side throttle body to the Pressure Sensor

This is what it should look like

but my hose end was split & disconnected.

Could this have been the problem all along?

I'll get new plugs and air filter this week... and hope that it really was just something simple...
In my post the left side of the tank, yup, that is the one, I am amazed it even ran!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow

Thanks for links - new hose it is, as the shortened hose pulls a bit tight and on an angle - no wonder it split.

Roll on next weekend!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts