Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my heated jacket liner and gloves this time of year and again in the late fall. Just curious if anyone else uses heated gear or is this just a northern thing?

·
Premium Member
16,186 Posts
I'm good with just heated grips..

·
Registered
393 Posts
Heated grips but no heated gear.
I'm good down into the 30s (f).
X2, but I can ride to work when morning temps are in the 20s, as long as the afternoon is warmer. I hate riding home from work when it is cold for some reason.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I will be getting heated grips and hand guards (to deflect the wind) for the fall, but my suit keeps me warm, I've been riding here at over the past 2 weeks at -5 (c) but my fingers do get cold.

·
Registered
37 Posts
With my heated glove liners I'm confortable riding down to 33 degrees. ( I've ridden in temps deep in the 20's but wisdom spoke up and said maybe you shouldnt be on two wheels when theres Ice on the roads.... I ride 12 months out of the year, but i'm in the deep south.:yeahsmile:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Heated jacket liner and heated grips along with KTM handguards.
I rarely ride when below 32 degrees.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I will be getting heated grips and hand guards (to deflect the wind) for the fall, but my suit keeps me warm, I've been riding here at over the past 2 weeks at -5 (c) but my fingers do get cold.
I had Barkbuster Storm handguards, the ones with the big wind deflectors, that eventually bent when I dropped my bike. I did not use them last year because of this. Riding with and without them I've found they have no perceptible effect on warmth. If warmth is a issue good gloves will be a lot better investment of your money IMO. Barkbuster Storm hand guards, the the Versys fitment kit, are ~$150 - vs. replacement levers on Ebay at ~$15 - it's cheaper to have a few replacement levers and they take 5min to install, IMO. They make insulated gloves with an uninsulated palms especially for use by users with heated grips. That said heated gloves heat the back of your hand and fingers so are more comfortable and warm than heated grips in colder temps. I ride down to 0C/32F with my Gerbings T5 heated gloves and my hands stay toasty warm. My heated grips don't work effectively at those temps.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Heated jacket liner and heated gloves. I ride year round and need them pretty much year round. What was that Mark Twain quote about Summer's in San Francisco?

I'm actually so serious about my heated jacket liner that I had a local tailor replace the heated liner's zipper with the zipper from the original liner. That was money well spent!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Cold hands a feet are symptom. Your body core is getting cold and you brain has shut down blood flow to the extremities to stay alive.

If you keep you core warm your hands and feet are easier to keep warm. I don't think barkbuster are effective at keeping hands warm. I have never tried Hippo Hands but they look like they would be effective.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I've been cold in July ...in the rain in the mountains at the end of a 800 mile day grip heaters alone are not enough. I use grip heaters and always have a heated vest with me. For true cold weather riding more gear and more wind protection is necessary IMO.

·
Premium Member
16,186 Posts
Cold hands a feet are symptom. Your body core is getting cold and you brain has shut down blood flow to the extremities to stay alive.

If you keep you core warm your hands and feet are easier to keep warm. I don't think barkbuster are effective at keeping hands warm. I have never tried Hippo Hands but they look like they would be effective.

:thumb::thumb: I've use these on the Versys and FJR. Great for when its cold or raining. When used with heated grips it like having your hands in a nice warm oven.

·
Super Moderator
19,412 Posts
Most of my Alaska "adventures" have included my heated jacket liner WORN 90% of the time, and selected ON probably at least HALF of the 90%....

Wear it a LOT at other times too.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not that I intend to hijack this thread but I would love to get a set of heated grips. What are you guys using and what are your thoughts? At the moment I am rocking bark busters and am really please with the amount of wind protection they offer my hands. Where I would have usually used my fall/spring gloves I can now use my Alpinestars SP2's which I adore but a bit more warmth on the hands in winter would be ace. I'm sick of sticking hand warmers into my thick and ungainly winter gloves.:feedback:

·
Premium Member
16,186 Posts
Not that I intend to hijack this thread but I would love to get a set of heated grips. What are you guys using and what are your thoughts? At the moment I am rocking bark busters and am really please with the amount of wind protection they offer my hands. Where I would have usually used my fall/spring gloves I can now use my Alpinestars SP2's which I adore but a bit more warmth on the hands in winter would be ace. I'm sick of sticking hand warmers into my thick and ungainly winter gloves.:feedback:

I had these on the Versy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBx9L5nXgSE Just ordered some for the FJR...Work Great. Amazon has the best prices at the moment.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts