Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost ready to buy a top case but I'm having trouble deciding which one. I'm considering the givi 46, coocase 48, or jcwhitney 40 liter.

The givi and coocase are both out of budget which is why I'm considering the jc whitney case. Although I could dip into my tv budget for the case. The jc whitney case is, however, the smallest at 40 liters...but I think it's big enough for my needs. Also the givi and coocase are very similarly priced on twisted throttle web site.

Who has the better mounting system? Givi or coocase? I saw a video of the coocase being mounted and it looks like it just clicks down on a small plastic tab? Are these cases strong enough to keep my wife on the bike under full acceleration if she is leaning back against the case?

What's the difference between monolock and monokey? I read somewhere that monolock was originally intended for scooters so does that mean it has an inferior mounting plate?

Anyway...what are your suggestions!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Get on Ebay and search for "motorcycle trunk". I have had a JCW case on my Vstar 1300 for several years; very little practical difference between it and Givi of similar size, though a few have had trouble with the attachment plate, it has been solid on mine.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have the Givi e460 and like it. It's not the most aesthetically pleasing case, but it's one of the cheapest 46liter ones. I believe the monokey vs. monolock is that one is for motorcycles and the other is for scooters. Monokey is for motorcycles. I think the main difference is size (width) and load capacity.

I have the Givi rack. It was quick and pretty painless to install and looks decent to boot.

That's about all I've got, I ordered the Givi from the dealer when i bought my bike before I researched everything. After having it though and now having done some research, I would have done it over again the same way.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies..especially the last link.

I really like the way the givi 55 looks but am afraid that it will look big and bulky on the bike. Besides, it's very expensive and out of budget. For my needs I think the 46 would be plenty big enough. I just need room for my lunch, rain gear, and change of clothes for my daily commutes.

Anyway, I think I'm going with the sears one. Looks like it's the exact same as the jcwhitney and the majority of reviews are pretty good on this case. I can't see spending 250 dollars when this one is only 43 dollars.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whoops...ZHNTR, that link that you sent me might be old or something. It says that it's out of stock when I try to add it to the cart. Although it's not out of stock at full price.

I'm not sure I want it for 80 bucks.:(

·
Registered
179 Posts
They already charged my credit card so they better ship it soon. :mad: I placed my order on the 27th and received this email on the 28th.

Your sales order is attached. Unfortunately, we are temporarily out of your item. We do have some order & expect them here in a few days. We apologize & will ship out your order just as soon as it becomes available.

Thanks,
Betsy
www.sporttour.com
Toll Free: 866-761-0936

I ordered the Givi crash bars a WHOLE month ago and UPS shows them scheduled to be delivered to my house on August 2nd. I called Sport Tour to find out what's the holdup and they said since Givi is in Italy, the cargo containers have to sit in customs for a while and since Givi doesn't allow them to mark them up much, most dealers don't like to have many, if any, in stock. Seems lame to me but I won't care once it shows up and I have it on the bike. :)

Hey DBL, I ordered the same one, they told me mid August, how about you?

·
Registered
668 Posts
I received this message on Jul 22nd: "Your sales order is attached. Unfortunately, the E55NT is temporarily out of stock until approximately the 2nd week of August. We do have some on order & will ship out your complete order just as soon as everything is available."

They didn't charge me yet, stated they would wait until it was shipped. No biggie, just hope it gets here in good shape.

They most likely wait until they get enough orders in to place a large order and have it delivered to them in bulk. The company might save some money that way.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I notice you people in the US and CAN have a hard time getting hold of whatever Givi stuff is available. That´s a shame I would like to see comments on the Givi X-modular helmet (I really like it so far!), not even webbikeworld got hold of one to test.

On the other hand you have an easier time grabbing gimmicks, farkles and general accessories all round.

Not a perfect world...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hello All,

Just got the Givi E55NT case in the mail and mounted it on the bike. Thank you Weljo2001, DBL, and others for your help!

The case is really nice but it took me a minute to mount it. The packing wasn't as good as it should have been because it arrived with some small scratches on the front of the case. I'm not upset about it though as I like functionality and scratches, dents, & dings add character in my opinon.

I added the liner and backrest to the order and figure I'll do something later with the lighting. You can use my signature link or this one to see more photos of it: http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x157/Bill_Milstead/Givi Top Case/

Preview: :thumb:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts