Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a bunch of slip-on exhaust solutions for 2010 V. Some of the big name popular ones require rebuilds every 15K miles! That means removal, drill out rivets, removing old baffle material, reinstalling, re-riveting, reinstalling can...sounds like more work than I want to do. (I'd rather ride.) Any recommendations for slip-ons that don't require frequent maintenance or rebuilds? (The other criteria is no requirement to re-map engine, etc...just slip-on and go.) Thanks!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Staintune. Excellent quality and design. No repacking required. Though, I've never looked to see if they offer a can for the V...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Staintune. Excellent quality and design. No repacking required. Though, I've never looked to see if they offer a can for the V...
Thanks, the Staintune's look great. I dropped them an email and just got this back:
"Sorry we can’t help you, we have no plans to build an exhaust for the KLE 650.
Regards,

Colin Bradley
Sales Department
Staintune Australia
PH 02 4871 3188"

Rats!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeh, that'd be a problem. Rebuilding is not a big deal. It's not very hard to do. And, if you don't do it, you probably won't notice anyway. It will get a bit louder and lose a touch of power, but it's so gradual you won't notice it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Scorpion (UK) slipon exhaust is guaranteed for life, and is claimed to never need repacking. It has single-strand stainless steel packing with a ceramic wool 'sock' cover.

http://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/Bikes/search3.php?model=448

"2 years and 17,000 miles on my Ninja 650R so far so good."

Compared to other tested slipons (ER6), Scorpion's is said to offer the most peak horsepower increase, with good gains between 5000 and 6500 rpm. One decibel louder than stock at 4000 rpm, it emits a deep racy sound:

Scorpion titanium $449.00 + shipping: http://www.pipecity.com/Products/ProductDetails.cfm/ProductID/375332

Scorpion titanium $431.16 + shipping: http://www.stormlakehonda.com/eshopprod_cat_6252-41273-58688_product_953581.SCORPION_SLIP-ON_EXHAUST.htm

·
Registered
7 Posts
I´d most surtainly would advise you to give the Acrapovic titan a go..
Beautifull craftmanship.. lovely sound..
I bought mine from www.ridersdiscount.com..
They don´t have it on their web page, but drop them an e-mail.. Great service and fast shipping..

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
According to Akrapovic:

"The durability of the damping material depends on the type of motorcycle, riding style, mileage etc. Normally, single and twin cylinder engines produce a stronger exhaust gases wave pulse and a higher temperature. Often, riding on a race track requires noise control.

The insulating material should be replaced when you notice any visual changes on the muffler sleeve material or when the muffler exceeds the noise limit. Please check the muffler visually before every season. In principle the damping wool should be replaced every 2 years."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AKRAPOVIC-EXHAUST-SP-SLIP-ON-Ti-KAW-NINJA-650R-06-08-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad9c0fb9eQQitemZ390200359838QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
739 Posts
I really like the sound of the Akrapovic and love the huge bump of improvement in the 4800-6500 rpm range, both hp and torque.
But I don't love it enough to shell out that kind of money. :eek:

If I had that much more to spend on the bike, I would rather do a good riding course.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
From Scorpion, UK:

"We design all our road products to never require any repacking. If the unfortunate does happen however, providing you are the original purchaser of the silencer, we will indeed repair this under the warranty.
Thanks."

·
Registered
203 Posts
Arrow slip on

Get an Arrow slip on for $249 from Pipe City. It comes with a baffle. Stick the baffle back in when you find the muffler is getting too loud. Just thinking out loud. I just bought the silver Arrow for my 2010 Versys. Good color match.

·
Registered
779 Posts
All I can speak for is Arrow. They are affordable, their build quality is excellent, and they don't need repacking.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
All I can speak for is Arrow. They are affordable, their build quality is excellent, and they don't need repacking.
Yours doesn't seem to need repacking yet at how many kilometers now?

ARROW Special Parts, Italy:

"When do I have to change the glass fiber cartridge on my Arrow silencer?

-Duration of the glass fiber cartridge depends on the bike and on the mileage. Speaking generally, when the cartridge is exhausted, noise levels start to raise up. On the silencer itself, some areas with different surface colour may appear. In this case, we suggest to renew the cartridge as soon as possible."

·
Registered
779 Posts
About 15000km.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts