Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm only getting a little over 200 miles per tank full - 47,45 MPG. Is there something wrong with my motorcycle?

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
I'm only getting a little over 200 miles per tank full - 47,45 MPG. Is there something wrong with my motorcycle?
What gear do you usually ride in? What RPMs do you usually keep your engine? What altitude are you at?

FWIW - I'm normally in 6th gear, so whatever RPM that equates to. (I've seen loads of 'sport-bike' riders riding around in a lower gear, w/ revs WAY-Y-Y up there!) I DO hammer the throttle now-and-then, but back into 6th soon after.

Kelowna's around 1,400'ASL, as is Florence, AZ where I usually winter....

I also run 36psi front, 42psi rear, the engine's pretty 'current' on tune-up, and I weigh around 175# plus ATGATT.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
That's about what I get. Shoodaben flash, I live at higher elevation 7,400ft, and ride a mix of town and highway. Usually I have luggage mounted. I weight about 150#. Madstad windshield, which probably is less aerodynamic than the OEM Kawi windshield.

Check your tire pressures, chain tension, and how tight the axles are. I run 33/36 on the tire pressures. Too tight of a chain will reduce efficiency. It is easy to overtighten the wheel nuts which adds a lot of drag. If you have a track stand you can spin the rear tire to see if it seems too draggy. Same with the front. The rear does have drag, more than what seems needed, but it is turning the transmission too.

Probably your bike is ok but it is worth checking it out. Your riding style and environment will have a big effect on mileage.

·
Administrator
8,851 Posts
2015 Versys 650 ABS

Last ride it was 5'C and warmed to 19'C , I have the flash and get 400 KM per tank plus about 4 liters in the tank. Between me and my cases, at least 250 LBs. mainly highway, I also have the #4 ThermoBob . that is at or above 100 KM/HR. I posted before, if I kept it around 80 to 85 KM/HR I could get 500 KM on a tank or 300 miles, that is with 4 liters left in the tank.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts