Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,822 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
If I am going to run through a tank of fuel in under a week I use 87 octane with 10 percent ethanol. The bike seems to run ok on that. Anything longer than a week I use non-ethanol fuel which is 90 octane. In the winter I add fuel stabilizer to the non-ethanol fuel. Here in the south it can snow 6 inches one week and be in the 70s the next so you never know how long the fuel is going to be in the tank. Luckily, I have a gas station with non-ethanol right around the corner - CITGO. It’s fresh fuel also because all of the landscape companies and boaters in the area fill up their equipment/boats there. Ethanol plays havoc with power equipment and boats that sit for long periods of time. .

·
Registered
130 Posts
87 most of the time in my 2009. About every 4-5 tanks, I do one of 89 to make myself feel better, but the rest of the time I'm simply cheap.

·
Registered
279 Posts
2008 V and i believe the MOM says 93 octane. i started early on using 87 octane e10 and have noticed no change in performance nor gas mileage compared to 93 octane e10, no knocking. so that's what i've always run as it's cheaper. my gas lines look fine after approx 10 years. recently tried 87 octane e0 with no change in performance except worse gas mileage !!! very noticeable. it should have been the opposite.
overdue correction .... 2008 MOM states 87 octane min .... i believe i got 93 from the dealer, as I was meticulous in using premium during my first months of ownership, until i tested the waters with 87 octane ..... and the V ran fine with the lower octane .....

·
Registered
167 Posts
I mean obviously 93 is better than 87 and may even give better mpg,

Not the least bit of obvious there. The stuff that raises octane displaces the stuff that generates power. So you will get the best gas mileage from the lowest octane that your engine is built for. More money does not imply more better. Made for 87 = use 87. Up in the Rockies regular is 83 cause the air has less O2. That works fine.

Regular

·
Registered
363 Posts
Not the least bit of obvious there. The stuff that raises octane displaces the stuff that generates power. So you will get the best gas mileage from the lowest octane that your engine is built for. More money does not imply more better. Made for 87 = use 87. Up in the Rockies regular is 83 cause the air has less O2. That works fine.

Regular
83 octane doesn't exist in a US gas pump. Regular unleaded in the rockies is 85 octane. I live at 6000ft and use mid-grade which up here is 87 or 88 octane. Ethanol free is hard to find here so I just run E10 with zero issue. Just replaced the spark plugs and they looked perfect even after almost 19k miles (lol @ the owners manual saying to replace them at 7.5k).

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm curious. Most pumps at gas stations now share a single hose and the grade is selected at the time of purchase. How much of the last users selection is dispensed before your selection has finally made it into your tank? A motorcycle has a small tank and just the visible length of hose outside the pump holds a pretty good quantity of fuel. So, how much of the grade you've selected actually makes it to your tank when you only purchase 3 or so gallons of fuel?

The link back to this threads topic is; for those who like to use higher grade fuel do you know how much you are getting vs. how much you've just paid for?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've read (but haven't confirmed) that on modern "blender" fuel pumps there can be in excess of 4L / 1 gallon of previously dispensed fuel in the hose and lines. So, yes, on a vehicle with a small fuel tank, this will have a noticeable impact on the octane and/or ethanol content of the fuel delivered.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I usually run 93 octane in my Versys, the manual may say 87 is fine unless you hear a knock but it could have a small knock and you won't hear it, and the engine does have a 10.8 to 1 compression ratio and in my book that is a HIGH compression engine and deserves high octane fuel to make it happy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've read (but haven't confirmed) that on modern "blender" fuel pumps there can be in excess of 4L / 1 gallon of previously dispensed fuel in the hose and lines. So, yes, on a vehicle with a small fuel tank, this will have a noticeable impact on the octane and/or ethanol content of the fuel delivered.
I was curious about this so did some reading the other day. According to everything I could find you'll only see between 0.5 and 1.5 L left in the line based on hose length. Some articles even quoted Shell saying similar numbers.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I was curious about this so did some reading the other day. According to everything I could find you'll only see between 0.5 and 1.5 L left in the line based on hose length. Some articles even quoted Shell saying similar numbers.
maybe that's why walmart has a separate hose for their E0 "real" gas. ethanol free afficionados wouldn't appreciate their fuel being adulterated by the previous guy's e10.

·
Registered
175 Posts
87 octane in my 17'. We have non-ethanol 91 all over the place in upstate NY (lots of boats) and zero difference running either. I'll run 87 until the last few tanks of the year and then switch to the non-ethanol for winter storage.

One of my previous bikes (Tiger 1050) spec'd 89 octane but quite a few people had piston ring damage with that bike due to poor fuel so I stuck with highest octane available and never had issues.

Never heard of piston damage on a Versys 650 from 87 though. Save the money. It's a free Aerostich/Motoport/Klim riding suit after 100k miles in the .50 cent difference in price.

·
Registered
302 Posts
"obviously 93 is better than 87", no it isn't unless your engine's compression ratio requires it. Fly-Sig hit the high points

·
Registered
184 Posts
Been running 85 from the Rockies with zero issues and 55-65mpg depending on speed, and altitudes of 6500-10000 help also

No chance of zero ethanol fuel here, so I run Techron EFI cleaner every oil change, and Stay-bil for a while before winter storage. I think ethanol has a higher chance of fuel system component damage than low octane fuel does causing pre-detonation issues

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just wanted to chime in here, as I'm testing out my Gen 3 Versys. I've found that 89 produces substantially more power and a crisper throttle response than 87 (this is after factoring for variations in chain lube/tension and fueling mods).
I have a booster plug installed and | 87 - feels a bit under-powered | 89 - feels crisp and proper | 91/93 - have felt no additional power

·
Administrator
8,836 Posts
Just wanted to chime in here, as I'm testing out my Gen 3 Versys. I've found that 89 produces substantially more power and a crisper throttle response than 87 (this is after factoring for variations in chain lube/tension and fueling mods).
I have a booster plug installed and | 87 - feels a bit under-powered | 89 - feels crisp and proper | 91/93 - have felt no additional power
depending on the ethanol content , that is hard to believe, energy in 87 and 89 is identical except possibly the ethanol content. 89 octane is slower burning and is designed for high compression engines. You want to see a significant difference, buy 87 octane, save your money until you have enough to get the ECU flashed , then you will see a significant difference and with 87

·
Registered
529 Posts
Before I got Steves(Shodabeen) flash for my 15 650 I tried all the different fuel ratings to see if there was a difference in performance. I dont care about mileage. Of course your mind plays along with the expectation that premium is better despite what Kawi recommends and what the science of energy potential says about gasoline and octane ratings which are for controlling knocking in some engines. Wanna get a better kick, mix in some jet fuel(kerosene)! This is the prime ingredient in fuel additives I believe, they have the right amount so you dont toast your valves.... We only get 10% ethanol here in BC so maybe thats weaker than straight gas, I dont know. I do know that Steve does his flash for 87 and thats good enough for me. When I hammer the throttle in 3rd she barks and gets to work quickly.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts