Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Oil filler cap? Do you mean gas tank cap maybe? Someone would have to be pretty desperate to want to suck out all 2 quarts of your used engine oil!

·
Premium Member
16,113 Posts
I have one like that. You will need the o-ring off the stock oil cap to use with it. But after having it on for a few months i noticed some oil coming out around the cap. So i put the stock one back on. Maybe i don't know my own strength but when i go to take off the stock filler cap when i get ready to change the oil i need to use a wrench or plyers on the cap to get it off.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I guess that would work. That sucks though, have there been a lot of reports of that going on near you? I wish people would go find better things to do with their lives.

·
Premium Member
16,113 Posts
You could just drill a hole in the stock cap.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
You can't protect your bike from a punk. If they want to fill your crankcase and it is locked, they could just slash your seat and kick over your bike. Done on 5 seconds. :confused:

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
You can't protect your bike from a punk. If they want to fill your crankcase and it is locked, they could just slash your seat and kick over your bike. Done on 5 seconds. :confused:
True unless I see them! That's when I take the law into my own hands! :thumb:

Unless I'm out gunned or too many of them! ;)

A punks nightmare! :thumb: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
You could built some sort of jack in the box that would pop some pain or ink in their face when they unscrew the cap ...

Then I would move to a new neibourhood ... You know ...
:grinangel:

My 2 cents

LOP

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I use some tape to protect the original cap and screw it tight with pliers. So random vandals can't plonk something in if at a movie or somewhere unprotected for a bit.

Off topic but I saw on ADV where some ne'er-do-wells break off exposed sparkplugs on bikes sometimes! We'll NEVER have that problem with the V. :D

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
This is one of those situations where you'ld buy a locking oil cap and then the lock would get gunked up and the key would break off at the worst possible time. Keep it simple!

I like MTS's idea best - shoot the 'tard.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, to all. Ya, I may just tighten it down, and go with that.
I don't want my bike vandalized at all, but would rather have a scratch or 2 and have to replace a seat vs's changing and engine out.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Does Dawn added to engine oil cause catastrophic loss? I would think of some other material than detergent, but then again if it works...

Here in Los Alamos we do not worry too much about such things. I am glad that I can live in a place like this. Now forest fires are another matter altogether.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Does Dawn added to engine oil cause catastrophic loss? I would think of some other material than detergent, but then again if it works..
A half bottle of dish detergent would definitely break down the oil significantly enough to cause it to lose it's lubricating properties. We only have ~2 quarts, which isn't that hard to dilute. Not only that, but it would turn into a frothy mess, which also does not lubricate well at all.

Bad stuff to be in there. :(

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Even adding a whole quart of the best available synthetic motorcycle oil would be very bad for the engine... Like weljo2001, I get it on so tight that a large adjustable wrench is needed to loosen it. A good lockable cap would be nice though for peace of mind.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Even adding a whole quart of the best available synthetic motorcycle oil would be very bad for the engine...
That is a good point. I always check my oil level before starting the engine.

I do still wonder what would happen if it was filled up with detergent. At this time I am not willing to perform the test, but maybe someday I will have more money than sense.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts