Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new owner of a 2010 Versys.

I'm considering buying a hugger for my ride and have been reading on this site and others about the various brands:
Powerbronze
ERMAX
PUIG
Skidmarx

In the course of my research I came across a post someone had made mentioning a hugger available from Greece (the eBay listing follows)
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Kawasaki-Versys-Quality-Mud-Guard-Rear-Hugger-New-/260392751610?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ca09e11fa

Has anyone seen/purchased/installed this hugger? If so, how long ago did you get it and how is it working out for you?

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
246 Posts
Could I also suggest that you smart people out there tell us why huggers are so crazy expensive? Are they made out of some rare earth element? Inlayed with a precious metal? Imported from another planet? Seriously, you folks who produce 'em, why so much?

I think I have settled on a Skidmarx, I like the lines and shape, but I DON'T WANT TO PAY ALMOST 2 WEEKS WAGES FOR IT!!!!!

Rant over...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Huggers....Blondies or Red-heads? I like the blonde huggers but the red heads are nice too. As far as paying for it.......Id never pay for something you can get for free.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
The skidmarx hugger looks like Pyramid Plastics original piece. ( which Pyramid has yet to rerelease after rebuilding there molds late last year....Hey Pyramid...if your listening I'm waiting) Pyramid is currently fronting Ermax and PUIG.

also...regarding the skidmarx hugger, at 74.95 (british pounds) I really don't see how $120.95 dollars US @ current exchange rates is all that expensive. shipping costs not withstanding that really doesn't seem all that pricey IMHO.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I'm a new owner of a 2010 Versys.

I'm considering buying a hugger for my ride and have been reading on this site and others about the various brands:
Powerbronze
ERMAX
PUIG
Skidmarx

In the course of my research I came across a post someone had made mentioning a hugger available from Greece (the eBay listing follows)
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Kawasaki-Versys-Quality-Mud-Guard-Rear-Hugger-New-/260392751610?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ca09e11fa

Has anyone seen/purchased/installed this hugger? If so, how long ago did you get it and how is it working out for you?

Thanks,

Don
Looks like it might be a Puig hugger...?

http://ad-discountperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=134996

Dave C

·
Registered
944 Posts
I bought the Skidmarx, Black, ABS, from Amazon- $140 plus shipping. I tried to find a cheaper alternative that offered as much coverage but couldn't do it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I bought the hugger you mentioned, from Greece, last Fall. The delivery time was reasonable (a week to a week and 1/2 as I recall). The instillation was straight forward (although, one bolt was a few millimeters too long...but a spare washer fixed that). This particular huger isn't as large as most of the others I have seen, but it does the job reasonably well (it keeps water off the recitifier, which I was most worried about, riding in Oregon where I live). All and all I'm satisfied with it.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I looked at a several huggers and finally chose the gloss black Skidmarx. I bought it from Streetfighters by Design on Amazon. They're at: www.streetfighterbydesign.com

It wasn't cheap at $165 plus $15 shipping, but it is good quality, was easy to install, fits well, and so far is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.
None of the huggers are inexpensive (what is these days?) but I think the Skidmarx is reasonable value for the money.

Oh yeah, it doesn't appear to be made out of Unobtanium like some of the others might be. This one must be an Unobtanium/plastic blend :)
Good luck with whatever one you decide on.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I looked at a several huggers and finally chose the gloss black Skidmarx. I bought it from Streetfighters by Design on Amazon. They're at: www.streetfighterbydesign.com
Damn! I just check that link and it's not good. If you're interested, look on Amazon. They still offer the Skidmarx in black plastic at $165: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GORYFC/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&psc=1

That's the good news. The bad news is that it's out of stock. They do have the carbon fiber version but it's something like $265! Shazaam!

I noticed that another member bought the Skidmarx for $140. That's my luck. Ah well.

·
Registered
246 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Could I also suggest that you smart people out there tell us why huggers are so crazy expensive? Are they made out of some rare earth element? Inlayed with a precious metal? Imported from another planet? Seriously, you folks who produce 'em, why so much?
i imagine the molds are complex and spendy to create, different for almost every make/model bike. and the sales numbers can't be huge.

anyway, that's why i went the mudflap route, the ten dollar solution. granted, it doesn't ADD tot he look of the bike, but neither does it detract. it's rather invisible and gets the job done.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I have an almost new Powerbronze hugger that's looking for a home. Used lightly while waiting for a Pyramid. If anyone's interested, shoot me a PM.

Sorry, sold.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
I like the looks and function of my PowerBronze....

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the skidmarks, like that it also extends several inches below the swingarm, dont like that it only has about 1/4 inch clearance on the oem tire and will probably need to shim massively for an aftermarket dual sport tire.

To the other dude, it cost about 150 us...doesnt seem unreasonible coming from the other side of the pond, some others are cheaper. There are threads about making a dirt blocker out of rubber that should work just as well and cost pennys. Not really an essential piece anyway IMO unless your running gravel roads.

T

·
Registered
250 Posts
I ordered a hugger last year ( during the winter when I can't ride anyway ) from Twinshack. It was about $150 ( after all the pounds to dollars conversions ) shipped but it took over a month to get here. I was told it was because I ordered the unpainted CF one. After looking at all the huggers out there, the Twinshack seemed ( to me ) to be the one that actually did what I wanted.....keep all the crap off the bottom of the seat and the back of the bike. It covers MOST of the rear wheel in width and it looks pretty nice.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The only reason I don't have one is the price, I do think that anything over $75 for something like that is highway robbery.:exactly:

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
The only reason I don't have one is the price, I do think that anything over $75 for something like that is highway robbery.:exactly:

Welcome To The World Of Motorcycles... Cheap Transportation Isn't Always Cheap....:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the PowerBronze and like it as well.

One note though, it looks like it can hit the battery box when the rear suspension is fully compressed. I noticed a light scuff on the hugger where they would meet. It's hard to tell what's going on since I can't compress the rear that far. weljo2001, have you seen this?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts