Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has installed a Stebel horn? Better yet: Who has split their Stebel horn in a separate compressor and trumpet and installed those?

I am trying to find a good spot to put the compressor (big chunky cylinder of cast aluminum) somewhere. If possible not too visible and out of the way of road spray, but I am open to any ideas.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
I mounted mine up under the left side fairing, without separating the parts. Not great pictures, but here's a couple. Once I do the horn on the Green Hornet, I'll take and post some more pics. :goodluck:

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Who has installed a Stebel horn? Better yet: Who has split their Stebel horn in a separate compressor and trumpet and installed those?

I am trying to find a good spot to put the compressor (big chunky cylinder of cast aluminum) somewhere. If possible not too visible and out of the way of road spray, but I am open to any ideas.

Any ideas?
Here

Richard

·
Premium Member
16,152 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mounted mine at the OEM location. Painted the compressor black. No issues with road spray, etc. Intake hose mounted up under the front fairing. Works great and sound travels forward...

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I figured it out:

I mounted the compressor like fasteddiecopeman did, under the left fairing.
Then I clamped the trumped to the crash bar, close to where I had my original "complete" Stebel (until the mounting bracket broke...)

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
I mounted mine up under the left side fairing, without separating the parts. Not great pictures, but here's a couple. Once I do the horn on the Green Hornet, I'll take and post some more pics. :goodluck:
+1 on Fasteddiecopman's location....very easy setup with the side benefit of being out of most of the weather.

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
Just finished installing the Stebel from my KLR under the left cover, too. Did a couple things differently though - put 2 layers of that 3M paint protect film onto the tank where the yellow foam I glued to the bracket MIGHT scratch the paint. Also, put the relay in the same area too, rather than at the stock horn location as on the '08.

I'll post up some more pics SOON, plus a few other mods I've just done, including the DR650 'toothed' footpegs I had on the KLR (which I'm prepping to sell, minus 'farkles'). :clap:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just finished installing the Stebel from my KLR under the left cover, too. Did a couple things differently though - put 2 layers of that 3M paint protect film onto the tank where the yellow foam I glued to the bracket MIGHT scratch the paint. Also, put the relay in the same area too, rather than at the stock horn location as on the '08.

I'll post up some more pics SOON, plus a few other mods I've just done, including the DR650 'toothed' footpegs I had on the KLR (which I'm prepping to sell, minus 'farkles'). :clap:
I'd love to see some pics of your Stebel install. I am going to be mounting one this spring and I'd like to get a real good idea of what I am getting into. It sounds easy enough. I just need an idea of what mounting hardware to have on hand for the job.

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
I'd love to see some pics of your Stebel install. I am going to be mounting one this spring and I'd like to get a real good idea of what I am getting into. It sounds easy enough. I just need an idea of what mounting hardware to have on hand for the job.
A 10mm socket, 4 and 5mm allen wrenches, phillips #2 screwdriver, wire cutters/ strippers and a soldering gun, and a piece of steel (I used a 12" shelf support bracket - 'cause I had it!). I wired the relay into the stock horn wires, and directly to the battery thru a 15 amp fuse for the +, and directly to the battery for the -. The pics show the install from several directions, and I hope they make it clear what I've done. I also put a double layer of that 3M paint protection clear stuff between the horn and the tank so it won't wear out that emerald green paint!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
... and here are some pics showing it wired up (if you wonder about the colors of the wires, I use what I've got...!) :clap:

BTW, I got the idea to mount under the left-side fairing from a post by another member, way back in 2008. :thanx:

You can see the 2 layers of the 3M stuff in several pics, and where I attached the relay - on my '08 I put it where the stock horn was attached, but I like this way-better! :goodidea:

Oh yah - and if you wonder about the dirt on the horn - it lived on my KLR for several years including a couple of Alaska trips, and that's what it looks like AFTER a few minutes with a damp rag...!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am curious how to mount my horn like Weljo and Fastoman. I want to mount it on the right side of the bike like they did. I see there is a tab that hangs down and has a threaded hole there, but the screw that came with the horn is too big. How did I mount it?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Mounted mine at the OEM location. Painted the compressor black. No issues with road spray, etc. Intake hose mounted up under the front fairing. Works great and sound travels forward...
Be advised that I mounted mine on the OEM mount and after a year and a half the OEM mount cracked...not designed to take the weight of the Stebel, I expect.

Dennis, your solution looks good. I split the case and trumpet, reattached them so the trumpets face down and forward, and installed it on a piece of aluminum stock under the left red tupperware. Took a bit of bending of the aluminum stock to get it in there with clearance all around. I connected the compressor output to the trumpet input with some clear plastic hose. The horn relay is tucked into the horizonal frame tube, under the silver side cover, with a few wraps of electrical tape around the relay so it fits inside the tube nice and snug. Everything is out of the elements and the trumpets face the right way. HONK!

·
Premium Member
16,152 Posts
I am curious how to mount my horn like Weljo and Fastoman. I want to mount it on the right side of the bike like they did. I see there is a tab that hangs down and has a threaded hole there, but the screw that came with the horn is too big. How did I mount it?

Here ya go.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have just mounted mine in a similar spot

The threaded bracket takes a 6 or 8mm metric thread.

The hanger is a spare 90 degree angle bracket with an extra bend.

I earthed the Stebel to another bracket closer to the seat.

The Twisted Throttle wiring harness made the installation very easy and it worked the first time I tried it (wearing ear protection in the garage).

I only had to cut one wire (yellow) and they supply posi-locks for a secure job.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts