Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
@Dave 300x

Hey if you want to take the lead, nah just kidding, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I understand the lack of garage space. I have a one car garage, woodworking on one long wall, shelves on the other at the end of the shelves is just enough room to put the table long ways, just have the jack sticking out. I had a quick idea but not knowing what kind of room you have inside your skid plate you may be able to fab a type of funnel that mounts in there to direct the oil out. The idea is from what you use to do an oil change on a Harley. I'll include a picture. Maybe it'll spark some ideas.
The funnel is what I was thinking for the filter. There is significant space for something like that. The drain bolt will be more tricky. I don't give up that easy and start with your picture. Thank you.

Reactions: JT in GA

·
Registered
283 Posts
@Dave 300x

Hey if you want to take the lead, nah just kidding, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I understand the lack of garage space. I have a one car garage, woodworking on one long wall, shelves on the other at the end of the shelves is just enough room to put the table long ways, just have the jack sticking out. I had a quick idea but not knowing what kind of room you have inside your skid plate you may be able to fab a type of funnel that mounts in there to direct the oil out. The idea is from what you use to do an oil change on a Harley. I'll include a picture. Maybe it'll spark some ideas.
I'll start with the funnel picture and get some ideas going. The filter shouldn't be too difficult but, the drain bolt will require a bit more digging. At least that is how I see it for now. Thanks for the pictures. Nice clean design that didn't cost $800 and up.

Reactions: JT in GA

·
Registered
2017 Versys-X 300
132 Posts
Thanks Axel. I have the lift and wheel chock already. I like what you came up with and might give it a try. I had been try to figure out how to improve the lift and never came up with something as nice as this.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
166 Posts
The funnel is what I was thinking for the filter. There is significant space for something like that. The drain bolt will be more tricky. I don't give up that easy and start with your picture. Thank you.
The funnels work pretty well, one could be made out of thin sheet metal. I thought of someting you could look at maybe to get the thought process going for the oil drain
oil funnel again...

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
The funnels work pretty well, one could be made out of thin sheet metal. I thought of someting you could look at maybe to get the thought process going for the oil drain
oil funnel again...
Great minds think alike -Please provide the link to the last funnel picture.
I ordered a Fumoto oil pan drain valve last night.
The official Amazon title - F139N with LC-10 F-Series Large Body FUMOTO Valve with Long Nipple and LC-10 Lever Clip for M12-1.5
I had hard time finding what the thread pitch is on the drain bolt from Kawasaki. It's a M12 bolt but really dug in to find the 1.5mm pitch. M12 has three threads available (1.75mm, 1.5mm and 1.25mm). It kind of makes sense as Kawasaki uses the middle thread pitch because on the M10 bolts for the center stand Kawasaki uses the M10 - 1.25mm. (M10 come in three sizes as well: 1.5mm, 1.25mm and 1.0mm). I had to dig to find the M10 used. Anyway, The Fumoto value should be here today. I won't be able to 100% validate the thread pitch just yet because my X300 isn't due for an oil change, and I'll need to install the Fumoto to confirm everything. Fumoto make many oil pan drain valves and that took some doing on Amazon to settle on the version that I bought. Only need a short piece of 3/8" ID plastic tubing to make sure there is no dribble inside the skid plate. The Fumoto will just live inside the skid plate on the oil pan. They are designed with an additional cap for keeping the valve from opening.
LINK for the Fumoto on Amazon: Amazon.com: F139N with LC-10 F-Series Large Body FUMOTO Valve with Long Nipple and LC-10 Lever Clip for M12-1.5 : Automotive
Gas Nozzle Cable Metal Plumbing

Product Cylinder Font Auto part Metal

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
166 Posts
Great minds think alike -Please provide the link to the last funnel picture.
I ordered a Fumoto oil pan drain valve last night.
The official Amazon title - F139N with LC-10 F-Series Large Body FUMOTO Valve with Long Nipple and LC-10 Lever Clip for M12-1.5
I had hard time finding what the thread pitch is on the drain bolt from Kawasaki. It's a M12 bolt but really dug in to find the 1.5mm pitch. M12 has three threads available (1.75mm, 1.5mm and 1.25mm). It kind of makes sense as Kawasaki uses the middle thread pitch because on the M10 bolts for the center stand Kawasaki uses the M10 - 1.25mm. (M10 come in three sizes as well: 1.5mm, 1.25mm and 1.0mm). I had to dig to find the M10 used. Anyway, The Fumoto value should be here today. I won't be able to 100% validate the thread pitch just yet because my X300 isn't due for an oil change, and I'll need to install the Fumoto to confirm everything. Fumoto make many oil pan drain valves and that took some doing on Amazon to settle on the version that I bought. Only need a short piece of 3/8" ID plastic tubing to make sure there is no dribble inside the skid plate. The Fumoto will just live inside the skid plate on the oil pan. They are designed with an additional cap for keeping the valve from opening.
LINK for the Fumoto on Amazon: Amazon.com: F139N with LC-10 F-Series Large Body FUMOTO Valve with Long Nipple and LC-10 Lever Clip for M12-1.5 : Automotive View attachment 190400
View attachment 190399
I saw those while doing a brief search but didn't know how much room you had. Here's a couple of links from Amazon on the funnels, first one I guess is older style, what I have, second one I think is better, the first one is hard to keep the hose on for obvious reasons plus you get extras for cheaper, who can't use an extra spout. Also if you re-search that second one for a little more you can get it in black.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts