Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Versys 650
43 Posts
Oh dear. It seems easier to just get a centre stand at this rate. I really should have done my research prior to buying the paddock stand. Damn.
Your paddock stand may have two choices of attachment lifter's. One for the bobbins and one set of right angle ones.
Personally, I don't like using the right angle type which lift from below the swingarm, as prior experience is that the chain side arm has a good coat of flung up chain grease. The bike moves too much for my liking when just lifting.

On one such 'no supplied bobbin attachment' bike of mine, I fabricated my own attachment points for such an OEM unendowed bike.

I made up two sets of flat plates either side of each swing arm with bolts and nuts. Covering the swingarm, I used some thin cork to stop scratching the paint.Using your current location
I fitted the bobbin onto one of the four bolts. With the X300 case, a bottom side bolt being closer to the ground would be the way to go.
Removed these lifting things when not needed. Worked well enough for me.
But you do need a rectangular shape of swingarm which photo's of the X300 appears to have. I don't have or had a X300.

I wish every bike Maker would fit bobbin attachment points to all bikes as a Factory can do it for a few cents a bike and Kawasaki, please make the it stick out past the swingarm width, not short by 6 mm, as per my Z900, Ninja 1000 and of late, the Versys 650. Why ?

Rob.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Oh dear. It seems easier to just get a centre stand at this rate. I really should have done my research prior to buying the paddock stand. Damn.
I'm not a fan of using the paddock style motorcycle stands. It is just me. For the Versys X300 I went in a different direction and beefed up a T-Rex Racing heavy duty skid plate with two angle iron mounts back from the inside of the skid plate to the two center stand/frame M10 bolt mounts. I now use a regular motorcycle jack to lift the X300 up in the air.
I've made videos on T-Rex HD skid plate on my X300 dedicated YouTube channel. If you wish you can check them out.
What I did was over kill - but over kill is just enough. (my attempt at humor)
LINK: (404) Kawasaki Versys X300 raised up on a restored motorcycle jack (not paddock) by reinforced skid plate - YouTube
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Motorcycle

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
On one such 'no supplied bobbin attachment' bike of mine, I fabricated my own attachment points for such an OEM unendowed bike.

I made up two sets of flat plates either side of each swing arm with bolts and nuts. Covering the swingarm, I used some thin cork to stop scratching the paint.Using your current location
I fitted the bobbin onto one of the four bolts. With the X300 case, a bottom side bolt being closer to the ground would be the way to go.
Removed these lifting things when not needed. Worked well enough for me.
But you do need a rectangular shape of swingarm which photo's of the X300 appears to have. I don't have or had a X300.
Rob.
[/QUOTE]

Thats a fantastic idea. I don't know why it didn't cross my mind. I work as an apprentice boilermaker so i can just make it at work during lunch. The swingarm indeed is rectangular. I'll be giving it a go on friday

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
165 Posts
I'm not a fan of using the paddock style motorcycle stands. It is just me. For the Versys X300 I went in a different direction and beefed up a T-Rex Racing heavy duty skid plate with two angle iron mounts back from the inside of the skid plate to the two center stand/frame M10 bolt mounts. I now use a regular motorcycle jack to lift the X300 up in the air.
I've made videos on T-Rex HD skid plate on my X300 dedicated YouTube channel. If you wish you can check them out.
LINK: (404) Kawasaki Versys X300 raised up on a restored motorcycle jack (not paddock) by reinforced skid plate - YouTube View attachment 190336
good job! After getting rid of my Harley I was left with the same lift you have. I don't have a skid plate on my 650 nor do I want one. I've seen many videos on how folks cut them in half and extended them, didn't like the idea so I did my version. It's 6' long,2' wide and a 2' ramp. Just finished it and waiting on the paint to dry.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Axel, construction details please.
I had the jack to start with. I'll take some pics when the paint is dry to show what I did. It's a 3/4" plywood cut in half with 2' taken from the end, About 5 2x4's and around $40 worth of nuts, bolts and screws. Everything has been screwed and glued. Sturdy as hell. The wheel chock is from Harbour Freight. It's a real simple design, woodworking is my hobby. The jack can still be removed, no mods to it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had the jack to start with. I'll take some pics when the paint is dry to show what I did. It's a 3/4" plywood cut in half with 2' taken from the end, About 5 2x4's and around $40 worth of nuts, bolts and screws. Everything has been screwed and glued. Sturdy as hell. The wheel chock is from Harbour Freight. It's a real simple design, woodworking is my hobby. The jack can still be removed, no mods to it.
The design is interesting. Please show pictures or video. How is it stable from end to end with the motorcycle jack in the middle? Fun projects.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Lift table homemade
Pic #1 shows pins through hinges to attach ramp and support legs in down position
Pic #2 shows how ramp weight is supported, hinge only keeps ramp in position
Pic #3 shows support legs extensions when fully up
Pic #4 and #5 shows attachment of jack to table. Bolts are 1/2"x7" with fender washers at every contact point secured with nyloc nuts, not fully tightened, just snug. An additional 3/4" pieces of plywood added to top of jack between jack and table to add height to drill for holes for the 1/2" bolts
Pic #6 bike on lift fully lifted. I rocked it front to back and in my opinion it is sturdier that if the bike was on the jack alone. I would use the extensions if I was doing wrenching that resulted in alot of bike movement.
Added feature is a front lift, attaches to the frame rails just below the radiator for lifting the front wheel. Similar design to Kawasaki super expensive jack

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300 (non ABS)
920 Posts
Thanks, helps save on my defunked back (2 surgeries)
I've seen a few prefab lifts on Craigslist... thinking about something like that. I'm not really creative nor carpentry proficient ... so probably a purchase for me.

You're one up on me ... only one back surgery -- hope to not catch up with you!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've seen a few prefab lifts on Craigslist... thinking about something like that. I'm not really creative nor carpentry proficient ... so probably a purchase for me.

You're one up on me ... only one back surgery -- hope to not catch up with you!
It was super simple to put together I think anyone could do it. I could walk you through it. Yeah had to take early retirement, surgeon who did my 2 said you can't be fixed again. I have permanent discomfort, I can live with it, I have to. My biggest enemy is standing in one place for more that a few minutes

·
Registered
165 Posts
LINK: (404) Kawasaki Versys X300 raised up on a restored motorcycle jack (not paddock) by reinforced skid plate - YouTube View attachment 190336
I've seen your video, I just didn't make the connection. I was watching so many different videos while figuring what I wanted to do. I do like the access hole on the skid plate for the oil filter. How do you handle the oil loss when removing the filter? These jacks are amazing use to lift my 700+ lb Harley with no problems

·
Registered
283 Posts
It was super simple to put together I think anyone could do it. I could walk you through it. Yeah, had to take early retirement, surgeon who did my 2 said you can't be fixed again. I have permanent discomfort, I can live with it, I have to. My biggest enemy is standing in one place for more than a few minutes
@ JT in GA - This is not a race, but Axel and I are tied on the number of back surgeries. No fun at all. My back is a major contributor in the selection of which motorcycle to buy and the X300 is one of the lightest in the ADV class.
@ Axel - thanks for the pictures and design. Genius! Simple but looks well thought out and built. I don't have the room for something like a lift table or I would clone this design as I already have the motorcycle jack. (I refurbished a Sears Craftsman 15-year-old unit shown in my video). I've not taken the time to figure out how to change the oil with no spillage on the headers or inside the T-Rex HD skid plate so, I just took of the skid plate off and changed the oil with the use of the center stand. I'll get back on this topic soon to determine what simple products or techniques will allow the oil change without the skid plate removal. The filter doesn't look too difficult; however, the drain bolt is accessible with a really tight access slot. More on that coming.

Reactions: JT in GA

·
Registered
165 Posts
@Dave 300x
This is not a race, but Axel and I are tied on the number of back surgeries.
Hey if you want to take the lead, nah just kidding, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I understand the lack of garage space. I have a one car garage, woodworking on one long wall, shelves on the other at the end of the shelves is just enough room to put the table long ways, just have the jack sticking out. I had a quick idea but not knowing what kind of room you have inside your skid plate you may be able to fab a type of funnel that mounts in there to direct the oil out. The idea is from what you use to do an oil change on a Harley. I'll include a picture. Maybe it'll spark some ideas.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts