Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that do their own oil changes, where do you get your oil and filter? What filter do you recommend? What oil? I'd like to support my local shop if possible, but I want to make sure they're selling me quality stuff first.

My Versys commutes about 30 miles per day on a 65mph highway, if that makes a difference in your recommendation. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
For regular non-synthetic motorcycle oil, Valvoline motorcycle stuff available at Autozone is fine. Actually, for the same weight oil, the Versys shifts much better with it vs. Kawasaki's basic oil which is much more expensive.

For synthetic, Autozone carries Mobil-1 motorcycle oil, real hard to beat that. Only other synthetic I'd use is Redline or Amsoil.

Filters, I still have some Kawasaki filters left over. When they run out, not sure what I'll try next.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I go to WalMart and pick up Shell Rotella 15w-40. It's an excellent heavy duty oil that is also rated for motorcycles. Filter is WalMart ST7317 or ST6607.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just did my first change on my V at 500 miles. I'm switching to Mobil 1 for all my bikes. I went with a K&N oil filter this time. Look for a filter with a nut on the end. Real easy to get off that way.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Mobil-1 synthetic from wallyworld and bought a 3 pak of K&N 303 filters off of fleabay

·
Registered
96 Posts
I go to WalMart and pick up Shell Rotella 15w-40. It's an excellent heavy duty oil that is also rated for motorcycles. Filter is WalMart ST7317 or ST6607.
+1 on the Rotella. Very popular on the GS Suzuki forum that I also belong to and I will use on V once it is completely broken in.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i just changed to valvoline motorcycle oil the other day, it seems to shift a lot smoother now although it may just be placebo. I think my next oil change will probably be to rotella synthetic.

·
Registered
499 Posts
There's quite a bit more information and discussions about filters and oil in previous threads, including the quality of various filters.

Based on that, I also use the Walmart filters (ST7317), which are so cheap I change the filter with every oil change, and the Mobil-1 Racing 4T oil (you can sometimes find it at Walmart but I usually have to go to Autozone and they always have it).

·
Registered
23 Posts
GREAT Deal on Purolator PL14610

Hi Guys...

Amazon has them for only $6.76 each. If you order 4 that brings total to
just over $25. so shipping is FREE.

Then Purolator has a rebate program going. You can buy up to 4 and
get $3.00 each. So your final cost per filter is around $6.
They also fit my '09 Honda CRV and many other bikes and cars.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/promotions/Pages/specialoffer.aspx

Ride safe... Dave

·
Registered
499 Posts
More information about filters here, including some info about Purolator filters.

I think the Walmart filter is just over $2.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Walmart for Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic...just switched over to it after break-in.
Still using up the Kawasaki filters I bought with the bike...will probably change to different filter on next oil change.

·
Registered
770 Posts
For those that do their own oil changes, where do you get your oil and filter? What filter do you recommend? What oil? I'd like to support my local shop if possible, but I want to make sure they're selling me quality stuff first.

My Versys commutes about 30 miles per day on a 65mph highway, if that makes a difference in your recommendation. Thanks!
I use Castrol Synthetic 5W-40 I buy in a 4L jug at my local Walmart or auto parts store. Same oil I use in my VW diesel. Just avoid any oil labeled "Energy Saving" with the Energy Saving logo. This means it has friction modifiers added that will cause the wet clutch to slip. With the aforementioned exception car oil and bike oil are the same thing. As for filters you can buy these anywhere. I've read cheap Fram filters are crap - lots of filter comparisons on the Internet and this site. I would not be surprised to find Kawi filters are just rebranded filters from one of the larger manufactures. No need to change your oil any more frequently than what the manual recommends.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome everyone. Thanks for all the good pointers. I'm only at 246 miles so far, but 600 is around the corner and I want to be prepared.Thanks!

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Oils of W-40 viscosity and higher are not energy conserving rated, but may still contain friction modifiers... JASO MA (high friction applications) oils as recommended by Kawasaki are specifically formulated for wet clutch and tranny combined with engine.
Shell's Rotella T 15W-40 and synthetic T6 3W-40 are JASO MA certified and reasonably priced in gallon jugs... I get my Amsoil synthetic AFF 0W-40 by the case for about the same price as Rotella T6 with secret promo code from http://www.woodsbrosracing.com/amsoil/aff.htm, and it's at my door in a couple days for about 40% less than from Canadian Tire.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is a great thread. I was looking into what filter to use on the V and you guys and calsci made my decision for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts