Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you mount your GoPro on your Versys?
Ive got a GoPro just laying around from when I had my KLR. I had it mounted on the side of the KLR's faring and I liked it but I dont really want to mount it on the pretty V paint.
What is everyones opinion of helmet mounts? I like watching bike mounted cameras over helmet mounts but I do like the flexibility of a helmet mount.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I just bought their "chesty" chest harness mount. I think it will be a good perspective from a bit below the head. I am going to try it this weekend if the weather cooperates but it doesn't look too promising.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Ray that's a good question and hopefully this thread can be a good document for this subject.

Wish I could remember the name of the other rider on here that did this already, maybe he will chime and and credit can be given where credit is due.

The two mounts he used, one was on the front fork near the lower triple tree. Some kind of a round band around the fork, and the vid-cam attached to that. Very Stable! Anyone who's tried this sort of thing on other bikes knows, an issue we face is vibration. It can be horrible depending on the mounting point. This mounting point is very stable though.

The other point was very clever. Drill a hole in the windscreen close to where the existing holes are and mount a ram ball there. Believe he put the hole in a place where a longer ram ball bolt could go all the way into the frame (the way the other windscreen bolts do), thus making it even more stable.

Haven't personally gotten to doing this yet myself. But they absolutely do seem the best places (vibration wise) to put a go-pro.

Don't like the helmet mounts myself either, just can't feel the lean of the bike that way...

have fun.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have a different helmet now, with a pad to mount the camera stuck to the side of the chin bar. I explain how the camera is mounted in the different spots in this video. Sorry in advance for the buzzing noise that develops later in the video. I have solved that with a different tether.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice....
Im liking the one mounted to the windshield bracket. Its so simple I didnt even think of it.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I mount my GoPro on my saddlebags. It gives a good video with little to no vibration and an interesting angle. I have Pelican style bags so the flat front makes it easy. I also have a mount on top of my helmet just to change it up. You can check out my Youtubes if you want the perspective.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
If you have a topcase you can attach a GoPro mount there also. In the photo you can see the one i had lower left section of the Givi E-55. You can click on the photo for a larger view

IMG_0110 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
252 Posts
I mount my cameras in as many different places as I can as I think having variety makes the videos more interesting. I bought the setup Weljo has on the front fork and it works well but it is slightly more fiddly with a GoPro (you cannot adjust the lens angle so if you turn the camera 90's you are shooting at 90's). I also got one of the longer RAM mounts and with my Contour I can shoot backwards from that position. I also have one of the GoPro sticky mounts just below my brake light and that has worked out well for me. Got lots of great shots from there of buddies behind me.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
On the helmet is great if just want clear shots of what you are looking at. Doesn't provide any perspective on how much you lean the bike since your eyes stay parallel to the road. The chesty is nice as long as you keep your posture the same while riding the bike. If you lean forward in the tight stuff you are now taking video too low. I haven't tried a mount point on the Versys, but haven't decided where on the Versys there won't be any buzzing.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Speaking of buzzzzzing. I just mounted mine on the windshield and rode back and forth to work a couple of times. I like the view that it gives, just straight down the road, shows lean angles and all the traffic in front, but it makes me very aware of my dash buzz. I really need to do something about that, its just plain irritating now.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
Speaking of buzzzzzing. I just mounted mine on the windshield and rode back and forth to work a couple of times. I like the view that it gives, just straight down the road, shows lean angles and all the traffic in front, but it makes me very aware of my dash buzz. I really need to do something about that, its just plain irritating now.

Heres the difference between the windshield mount and the fork tube mount as well as the comparison between the GoPro and the Drift Camera.

GoPro mounted on the givi windscreen....

Drift HD170 mounted on the Fork Tube....

·
Registered
623 Posts
Heres the difference between the windshield mount and the fork tube mount as well as the comparison between the GoPro and the Drift Camera.

GoPro mounted on the givi windscreen....

Drift HD170 mounted on the Fork Tube....
thnx for that Weljo, it makes it really obvious that you want to go to the trouble of mounting it on the fork tube. As you've said before.

probably easier to mount in other places, less thought involved etc. But the fork tube position is obviously the one with the least amount of vibration. And I can say for sure, video editing software does have anti-vibration capabilities, but it doesn't work quite as well as one might think. And it can actually add some rather odd effects if you know where to look ;)

Yup, the fork tubes for me... just have to figure out how :)

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
thnx for that Weljo, it makes it really obvious that you want to go to the trouble of mounting it on the fork tube. As you've said before.

probably easier to mount in other places, less thought involved etc. But the fork tube position is obviously the one with the least amount of vibration. And I can say for sure, video editing software does have anti-vibration capabilities, but it doesn't work quite as well as one might think. And it can actually add some rather odd effects if you know where to look ;)

What kind of camera do you have.?

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts

Heres a video off pavement showing the forktube is the way to go. I tried lots of different places to mount and none were close. I've got about 4 other ram mounts collecting dust. I never use the software for stabilization

1 - 19 of 19 Posts