Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your spare key??

I want store a spare key on the bike....where do you keep yours? Currently its in the small tank bag which isn't at all secure. Any good accessible hiding spots?

This would be an an 07-09

·
Premium Member
16,106 Posts
i keep a spare on the key ring with the givi topcase key in my pocket. I have a single key when not in the ignition is in my back pocket

·
Registered
720 Posts
A spare with the bunch of house key in the pouch. The regular key goes into the pocket.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I've got a spare fully duct-taped over - inside the right side tupperware... ahead of the radiator overflow container.
Yes... I know it doesn't look all that "secret" but for my daily goings on, it's just fine there.
If I lived in bigger, tougher city - I'd probably opt for somewhere else... but for my situation, it works.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got a spare fully duct-taped over - inside the right side tupperware... ahead of the radiator overflow container.
Yes... I know it doesn't look all that "secret" but for my daily goings on, it's just fine there.
If I lived in bigger, tougher city - I'd probably opt for somewhere else... but for my situation, it works.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking about....Hidden and not necessarily easily accessible. Carrying it on my person isn't really a viable option as I several different gear configurations and I would be constantly moving the key from one jacket to the next.

Currently I keep it in the small tank bag but I figure that's the first place a thief would look.
I don't live in a high crime area but that doesn't mean I'm going to make it easy to steal.

I think I have a solution....put the key in a small project box with some wires coming out each end going to nowhere....but look like they go somewhere....mounted under the fairing somewhere where you can get at it but on cursory glance it looks like an added component.

·
Super Moderator
18,983 Posts
Your spare key??

I want store a spare key on the bike....where do you keep yours? Currently its in the small tank bag which isn't at all secure. Any good accessible hiding spots?

This would be an an 07-09
MINE is 'glued' with "Plumbers GOOP" into a plastic piece of the fairing, out-of-sight. IF I ever need it it'll take a few minutes to get to, but it's ALWAYS with me.

My first Alaska ride I stopped to walk under a bridge for some pics, then realized I'd dropped my keys. Even tho' I had the spare with me, I re-traced my path 3 or 4 times, and found them. I was VERY glad I hadn't left them at home as that would've been BIG trouble had I not found them.

:eek:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hey offcamber -- i keep a spare ignition and topcase key in a small "hide-a-key" container. The container is oval (slides in easier), not rectangular. I wedge the box between the radiator and side, plastic bodywork that covers the radiator. The box is colored black so it's not noticeable at all. You'd need to know it was placed there to find it. I've ridden well over 15,000 miles without it moving at all. Peace of mind my man.

BTW, I continually get compliments on the headlight "skull face". :thumb:

·
Registered
521 Posts
I keep mine with the owner's manual and tool kit under the seat...it's real safe there.... :eek:

·
Registered
409 Posts
I also have a spare key stashed in a non-visible location underneath the bodywork. (I can't tell you exactly where, because I can't be putting information like that out on the interwebs for all the nefarious members of society to see, right? ;) )

One suggestion, though, for those using duct tape. That tape can age and weaken and lose its adhesiveness with weather and time. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I zip-tied the key to a solid part and then put some tape over it to keep it from flopping around, but even if the tape surpasses its life expectancy before I remember to replace it, the key isn't going anywhere.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts