Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by admitting I'm probably being overly anal and paranoid about this but.............I brought my '13 versys home from the dealer after a valve inspection and oil change. I always do all my own oil changes but was feeling lazy, so I had the dealer do it. It was snowing out but the roads were just wet, so I made it home fine but when going across the backyard to the shed, I got to aggressive with the throttle and before I knew it, the bike and I were both on our sides with my lag trapped underneath the bike. :badidea: It took me probably 5 minutes to get out from underneath and get the bike back up. I put it away without checking anything over. I washed it and let it run for a few minutes the following day but didn't go down the street at all. Afterwards when I checked the oil level, it was barely above the lower level on the sight glass. :eek: So either the dealer didn't put enough in or it leaked out or, and this is my paranoid concern, it's still in there somewhere. I've been riding for 30+ years but the versys is new to me. You're thoughts?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a 2013 too and I do my oil & filter change. Did you check if the oil filter is screwed on properly? if so, the dealer failed to fill it up (forgot or intentional?).

·
Registered
927 Posts
I wonder if they put on a new filter without pre-filling it. When you "fill" the bike to the top line and start it up, a good amount goes into the empty filter. If they didn't top up afterwords, that might explain it.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I wonder if they put on a new filter without pre-filling it. When you "fill" the bike to the top line and start it up, a good amount goes into the empty filter. If they didn't top up afterwords, that might explain it.
Not sure how you'd pre-fill the filter on a Versys as the filter is horizontally mounted. Seem that all the oil would run out when you tried to screw it on.

The Versys is the only bike I've ever owned that had a torque spec on the oil filter. 14 or 15 ft-lbs as I recall.

I know when I got my bike it was just barely over the low line, about 1/2qt low.

·
Registered
244 Posts
To pre-fill the oil filter you buy a cable winch puller and attach one end to your garage ceiling with a chain around the joist or truss and then connect the other end of the cable winch puller around a rope tied to your rear wheel. Pull up the rear end of the bike to the ceiling. Stop, take pictures, and drink a couple of beers. Then, fill the oil filter with the req'd amt of oil and screw it on the motor. Then release the cable winch puller until the rear wheel is back on the garage floor. Repeat this two or three times to make sure you get all of the micro bubbles of air out of the oil filter.
Geez I thought everyone knew that.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
To pre-fill the oil filter you buy a cable winch puller and attach one end to your garage ceiling with a chain around the joist or truss and then connect the other end of the cable winch puller around a rope tied to your rear wheel. Pull up the rear end of the bike to the ceiling. Stop, take pictures, and drink a couple of beers. Then, fill the oil filter with the req'd amt of oil and screw it on the motor. Then release the cable winch puller until the rear wheel is back on the garage floor. Repeat this two or three times to make sure you get all of the micro bubbles of air out of the oil filter.
Oh...Silly me! :D I guess I need to reread the shop manual.

·
Super Moderator
1,479 Posts
ya gots'to drain the fuel first before changing the oil this way. :topsecret:

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
With rear wheel slightly off the ground, put it in 6th gear and rotate rear wheel by hand to prime the oil pump and oil filter before starting engine... Just raise the shift lever while spinning rear wheel by hand while in neutral, to shift up to 2nd gear and higher.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
why bother prefilling the filter when you can just add that much oil to the case after installing?

if you didn't check the site glass before you left the stealership then my bet is that they just put in 2q and you just need to top it off.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
It's not difficult to prefill the oil filter. Just pour oil in the filter, wait a couple of minutes for the oil to soak into the filter media, then add more oil until its about 3/4 full, then screw it onto the engine. For me, oil has never dripped out while installing the filter this way.

But, I don't think its a big deal either way, since the engine is not really that stressed on start up, the oil pressure comes up quickly, we have modern metals in the engine, there is leftover oil film on the moving parts, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
why bother prefilling the filter when you can just add that much oil to the case after installing?

if you didn't check the site glass before you left the stealership then my bet is that they just put in 2q and you just need to top it off.
Thanks for all the replies. :thumb: This is what I'm thinking is the case also, just add a little more oil and quit overthinking it.

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
Not sure how you'd pre-fill the filter on a Versys as the filter is horizontally mounted. Seem that all the oil would run out when you tried to screw it on....
It's not difficult to prefill the oil filter. Just pour oil in the filter, wait a couple of minutes for the oil to soak into the filter media, then add more oil until its about 3/4 full, then screw it onto the engine. For me, oil has never dripped out while installing the filter this way....
What "trialsguy" said....

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Fill that SOB with oil and run the hell out of her! :thumb:

Keep checkin it . . . if that SOB is low again you got a problem! :eek:

But don't baby it! :nono: ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts