Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- Will you be switching to bicycles?

I recently stumbled upon a video review of a bag that is also used by bicyclists, and I was amazed how familiar all the words were.
Guy was talking about preparing the bicycle for a long 'adventure tour' and was talking about sprockets and chain, handlebars, tail lights, luggage racks, brake lines, seat comfort, camping gear...
Apart that he was wearing spandex, I was very familiar with all of this.
There had to be more to this 'bicycle touring', so I dug deeper and there is a world of enthusiast and communities that is probably as large as motorcycle one.

I haven't ridden (except the stationary one at the gym) or owned a bicycle in over 15 years and compared to motorcycles they still seem silly to me. Using them for commuting, fun or long distance travel is a definite no-no in my area.

One has to admit that in the long run, bicyclists have us beaten.
Depending on how seriously you take the 'peak oil' theory, it's coming sooner or later. Oil will run out and become insanely expensive (isn't it already?). All our combustion-engine machines will become scraps of metal.
I feel that it's already upon us and I'm sad I won't be able to enjoy motorcycles in an affordable way.

I really, really enjoy speed, two wheel concept and getting from A to B in a manner that is quicker then walking.
I may consider this bicycle business after all. I promise not to wear spandex.

*I guess another alternative is horse?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Not in my life time............................

Mark

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Nor I.
There is more oil sitting underground in north American than all of the middle east put together. When market conditions and demand will support it then it will be extracted. Oil supply is not in question. There is more oil sitting under South Dakota than there is in Alaska. But it's gonna cost at least a couple of hundred dollars per barrel to get it.

VW announces hybrid car with 1L diesel that gets 260mpg. Due out in a couple of years.

There will be technology advances made to continue on. Not life nor lifestyle is going to cease to exist at some short point into the future.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Oil is not just going to run out. It is just going to get progressively more and more expensive, and force alternative developments, which people will adopt. We'll always have enough oil to make plastic:D.

We drive a small diesel station wagon and get 38 mpg around town and 60 on the highway. It costs me slightly more to run my Versys. I feel pretty smug about that, and can't understand why:

1. there aren't more options for economical vehicles, like there is in the rest of the world, and

2. Why anyone in the market for a new vehicle would opt for anything (re: most new cars) that didn't get less than stellar gas mileage, and I don't mean those inflated highway numbers they are using nowadays. Most often it's not even a real consideration for the consumer, and they wind up comparing mileage between two similarily bad vehicles.

The highest mpg vehicles that have been produced were back in 1987 when the average fuel economy was 27 MPG. It's been down hill to some degree ever since. Shame on us. The hell with the Humscelade generation I says! Give me more diesel/ diesel electric/gas electric/plug in options damn it!

Rant over:)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Three Laws
1. Cause and Effect
2. Interconnectedness
3. Impermanence

Denial is not a River in Egypt!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Why anyone in the market for a new vehicle would opt for anything (re: most new cars) that didn't get less than stellar gas mileage ... Rant over:)
Our enormously productive economy… demands that we make consumption our way of life, that we convert the buying and use of goods into rituals, that we seek our spiritual satisfaction, our ego satisfaction, in consumption… We need things consumed, burned up, worn out, replaced, and discarded at an ever increasing rate.
- Victor Lebow, ...1955

We are Americans Dog Damn-it. We are removed from the consequences of our consumption. As long as I can afford it, I can consume it. There is no moral argument in consumption. And our foreign policy is not driven by our "way of life" or consumption.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/analysis_publications/oil_market_basics/dem_image_cons_per_cap.htm

At least a bunch of us ride 650 cc motorcycles that get 50mpg most of the time.
Although it's kind of amazing that some auto's carry four adults and can get similar mileage

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Our enormously productive economy… demands that we make consumption our way of life, that we convert the buying and use of goods into rituals, that we seek our spiritual satisfaction, our ego satisfaction, in consumption… We need things consumed, burned up, worn out, replaced, and discarded at an ever increasing rate.
- Victor Lebow, ...1955

We are Americans Dog Damn-it. We are removed from the consequences of our consumption. As long as I can afford it, I can consume it. There is no moral argument in consumption. And our foreign policy is not driven by our "way of life" or consumption.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/analysis_publications/oil_market_basics/dem_image_cons_per_cap.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBE5QAYXp8

At least a bunch of us ride 650 cc motorcycles that get 50mpg most of the time.
Although it's kind of amazing that some auto's carry four adults and can get similar mileage
At nowhere NEAR the price.

:stickpoke:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Back to the bicycle thing, I don't know why you are surprised a lot of the terminology is the same. After all, a motorcycle is just a bicycle with an engine.

My father met my mother in a bicycling club back in the 50's and he was good enough to turn professional but there was no money in it back then. So safe to say I grew up around bicycles :D He never did own a car so the only time I got out of my home town was on my bike. The first time I saw the Scottish Highlands was from my bike at 15 years old with a tent strapped on the back. Fantastic memories.

For me motorcycling is a natural extension of cycling now that I am old and lazy, but there are many similarities and in some ways cycling is actually better. The way folks describe being on a bike as being in the environment as opposed to just passing through it in a car, well take that experience and repeat it when you go from motorbike to bicycle. You experience so much more on a bicycle, sights, smells etc, not to mention you are even more exposed to the weather. That trip through the Highlands I stopped to refill my water bottle from a stream and was admiring the tiny arched brick bridge that the road went over when I noticed an inscription on it dating from 1730 when the English army built a road into the Highlands to subdue the rebellious Scots. Would never have seen that from a motorcycle.

And while you are never going to capture the same feelings of speed, there is a lot to be said for hammering down a mountain side on 1/4" tires at 50mph with ****ty brakes and no protective gear. That certainly gets your attention!

Now where did I put that spandex...

·
Registered
489 Posts
When World's oil runs out and civilization collapses

If that should happen in your lifetime - just drink another glass of the Kool-aid :D

·
Registered
875 Posts
The Hirsch report, the commonly referred to name for the report Peaking of World Oil Production: Impacts, Mitigation, and Risk Management, was created by request for the US Department of Energy and published in February 2005. It examined the time frame for the occurrence of peak oil, the necessary mitigating actions, and the likely impacts based on the timeliness of those actions.

The Lead Author, Robert Hirsch, published a brief summary of this report in October 2005 for the Atlantic Council.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirsch_report

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
- Victor Lebow, ...1955

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBE5QAYXp8

Enjoyed the youtube vid cmoreride :thumb:

·
Registered
842 Posts
Enjoyed the youtube vid cmoreride :thumb:
I have just forwarded that video on to friends and family.

20 minutes well spent

thanks cmoreride

1 - 20 of 31 Posts