Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello Versyers!

I wonder, when to exactly do the 1st service of my VX, considering manual says until 600 miles, but also says:

"Service more frequently when operating in severe conditions: dusty, wet, muddy, high speed, or frequent starting/stopping."

Mine has around 300 miles now, and it's being ride under frequent starting/stopping (due to urban horrific traffic days).

So, i don't know when exactly could be done the service. I'm thinking maybe at 450-500 miles.

Regards, Ride Safe!

·
Super Moderator
19,450 Posts
Hello Versyers!

I wonder, when to exactly do the 1st service of my VX, considering manual says until 600 miles, but also says:

"Service more frequently when operating in severe conditions: dusty, wet, muddy, high speed, or frequent starting/stopping."

Mine has around 300 miles now, and it's being ride under frequent starting/stopping (due to urban horrific traffic days).

So, i don't know when exactly could be done the service. I'm thinking maybe at 450-500 miles.

Regards, Ride Safe!
Vincenzo - by frequent starting/stopping they are referring to frequent starting/stopping of the ENGINE as in shutting down after a ride. Don't worry about what YOU are doing as being operating in severe conditions, because it isn't.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree, heavy urban stop and go traffic is the norm, I'd do it when the manual says.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Follow the owner’s manual recommendations for break in service. + check the oil level frequently. I change my oil every 3750 miles with a filter
change every other oil change just because it is a high revving engine.

·
Super Moderator
19,450 Posts
Follow the owner’s manual recommendations for break in service. + check the oil level frequently. I change my oil every 3750 miles with a filter
change every other oil change just because it is a high revving engine.
I use Mobil1 15w-50 synthetic in my Vs, and I change BOTH oil and filter EVERY oil change [at 5K miles //8K kms]. Oil's cheap, as are the filters.

:grin2:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Call me fussy but I like to do an extra oil/filter change at 300/400 kms after at least 4 or 5 heat cycles.
By then any bits (gasket material etc) will have found their way into the filter and most rubbing parts will have a shine on them. Sure, journals and the like still need to properly bed in so although I will rev the bike I only use part throttle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vincenzo - by frequent starting/stopping they are referring to frequent starting/stopping of the ENGINE as in shutting down after a ride. Don't worry about what YOU are doing as being operating in severe conditions, because it isn't.
Oh, ok, was thinking that too, it's a relief, thanks...

I agree, heavy urban stop and go traffic is the norm, I'd do it when the manual says.
Yes, thanks you so much!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Call me fussy but I like to do an extra oil/filter change at 300/400 kms after at least 4 or 5 heat cycles.
On any new vehicle I always do an oil change at about 500 miles. Then again at about 1,000 miles. As Fast Eddie says, oil and filters are cheap!

After that, every 5,000 miles or once per year even if that vehicle hasn't driven 5,000 miles since the last change.

Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil (motorcycle specific oil for bikes), and a top quality filter.

I have installed Fumoto oil drain valves in my Versys and my car. They make an oil change super clean and easy. Buy the tubing with the filter!

·
Super Moderator
19,450 Posts
Why aren't you using owner's manual recomended oil? just wonder!
I've been using synthetic oil in ALL my 4-stroke engines (lawnmowers, snow-blowers, etc, etc) since around the 1980s, starting w/ AMSOIL, but I began using Mobil1 15w-50 automobile oil probably more than 10 years ago after reading build-reports and ride-reports by jdrocks who used to post his build-reports in this Forum, and used that same oil.

I get VG fuel mileage, and have NEVER experienced clutch slippage w/ Mobil1 15w-50 automobile oil, or any other issues in my three V650s.

Before my first Versys I had a Suzuki Bandit 1200S (w/ OVER 100 horsepower!) that I used Mobil1 10w-30 automobile oil in after working w/ a fellow who drag-raced HIS B-1200 running M1 5w-30 w/ NO clutch issues, over around 30,000 kms - 18K miles. Just sayin'....

I am NOT recommending the use of M1 5w-30 OR 10w-30 in a Versys, as I have NOT tried it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been using synthetic oil in ALL my 4-stroke engines (lawnmowers, snow-blowers, etc, etc) since around the 1980s, starting w/ AMSOIL, but I began using Mobil1 15w-50 automobile oil probably more than 10 years ago after reading build-reports and ride-reports by jdrocks who used to post his build-reports in this Forum, and used that same oil.

I get VG fuel mileage, and have NEVER experienced clutch slippage w/ Mobil1 15w-50 automobile oil, or any other issues in my three V650s.

Before my first Versys I had a Suzuki Bandit 1200S (w/ OVER 100 horsepower!) that I used Mobil1 10w-30 automobile oil in after working w/ a fellow who drag-raced HIS B-1200 running M1 5w-30 w/ NO clutch issues, over around 30,000 kms - 18K miles. Just sayin'....

I am NOT recommending the use of M1 5w-30 OR 10w-30 in a Versys, as I have NOT tried it!
Thanks for the aclaratory, very interesting!

Regards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts