Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got into an accident last week, and finally got around to actually peeling off the broken panels and trying to see what all has been damaged.

Well. I found this -

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

It dented from the engine guards I used, because it hit the ground so hard.

Closer picture -

Automotive design Car Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior

If I report it, bike is totaled. If I don't -- how risky is it to have a dented frame? Should I take the chance? I've only been riding a few years so I want to make sure I know what the risks could be if I ignore it and repair my bike. The one other concern I have is that that dent was caused by the engine guard being mounted on it. So the replacement would sit on the same spot. Is that not advised since it's a weakened point on the frame?

I'd appreciate any suggestions or advice on this. Breaks my heart to possibly lose my Versys, but I'd rather make an educated decision than go at it blind and hope for the best.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I would ride it and feel for any changes in the handling, scraping noises etc.
That damage doesn't look too severe in the photos. Follow that frame tube and see if it leads to more damage- parts not fitting properly at attachment points etc.

As long as the impact did no more than putting that small dent in the tube it might be alright. No point in writing off a bike for cosmetic damage only. Damage to the rider is a far worse outcome than any crash damage to a bike.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
It dented from the engine guards I used, because it hit the ground so hard...
can't say the extent of damage from the photos, but the main frame is tough to damage beyond use. these bikes are more typically totaled because of subframe damage, that and plastics.

the main frame tube can be crimped in that exact area from engine bar installers over tightening the U-bolt mounts supplied with the bars, i've seen that done, even though it will never 100% prevent the bars from moving in a flop.

i use custom saddles at the mounts. there's no way to determine whether saddles would have prevented the damage, but i tend to think they would have helped. these guard saddles on my bike have been field tested numerous times, so far so good.

put the bike back together for a test ride, you'll find out real quick if you have any issues.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Follow the frame to the weld points and inspect with a strong light and magnifying glass. If you find cracks make a choice. Call insurance or watch over the next few weeks for increases or rust.

I once had a bike with tweaked fork tubes that rode fine as long as I kept my hands on the bars. But I was young, dumb, and poor.

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
672 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately it's not rideable without replacing the front wheel, and getting the fork fixed. It took a hard hit and I'm not sure if the cowl subframe was damaged yet. I got a notice for my claim yesterday after posting this. The insurance is considering it a total loss regardless. Which is really unfortunate :c

There was a lot of damage to the plastics which is whatever. But the way the guard bent into the bike, it also marked up the engine cover, the front right fork is leaking oil badly, the cowling is all messed up, radiator is showing signs of leaks (the white foam looking spots), bent the edge of the front wheel on the left.. Various other dings.. I'm not even sure what the bike went through after I got thrown off it. But it has damage I'd never expect to see from an accidental wheelie. It took quite a beating.

Now I'm torn between keeping it and doing all the repairs myself, or letting the insurance take it.

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
672 Posts
Good luck with the insurance. Sounds like a good time to get a new ride, but only you can make that choice. Pricing is starting to get better on the used market ... if that's any consolation. 😇

·
Registered
66 Posts
The insurance company is right if you add up the cost of parts and labor.
Sounds like it is junk or at best a parts bike, might make sense to buy it back for that, IF your are buying the same bike again and plan on keeping that for years and have a place to keep it or figure you can part it out for a profit.
Otherwise count yourself lucky for not being hurt worse, make your best deal and go shopping.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The insurance company is right if you add up the cost of parts and labor.
Sounds like it is junk or at best a parts bike, might make sense to buy it back for that, IF your are buying the same bike again and plan on keeping that for years and have a place to keep it or figure you can part it out for a profit.
Otherwise count yourself lucky for not being hurt worse, make your best deal and go shopping.
They're offering me a decent amount if I just give it to the insurance company. A few people have now said that it might be worth exploring other options for a bike since I've only been riding three years, and haven't explored a whole lot outside of a couple older bikes.

Anyway I appreciate the feedback from everyone. Thank you! :D

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
My opinion, worth what you paid for it, is be happy insurance is buying it off. I would not buy it from them to try to part it out, as the return on your time and effort would be low.

I agree that it is worth exploring other options. The Versys is a great bike, and I am very satisfied with my 2015, but there are certainly a lot of interesting bikes out there. Shopping for a new ride is always fun! Even if you come back to Versys you will have the benefit of having experienced some alternatives.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My opinion, worth what you paid for it, is be happy insurance is buying it off. I would not buy it from them to try to part it out, as the return on your time and effort would be low.

I agree that it is worth exploring other options. The Versys is a great bike, and I am very satisfied with my 2015, but there are certainly a lot of interesting bikes out there. Shopping for a new ride is always fun! Even if you come back to Versys you will have the benefit of having experienced some alternatives.
Absolutely. Considering a V-Strom currently. I found one up north that I hope to check out this week. Just waiting on insurance to do their thing.

Gonna miss this Versys though. Taught me to ride taller bikes when I was just a few months into having my endorsement. I say taller, but many of you can probably reach the ground relatively easily. I could barely get my tippy toes on the ground lol. Well, less of an issue now with the low seat but still! haha. Learned to creep it at a snails pace without putting my feet down because of it being so tall for me. :)

Anyway. It's been a fantastic experience. I hope to get another one eventually!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts