Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a silly question, but I´m asking because I am not sure,

does the battery charges itself when only engine running / idle or does the bike needs to be running / wheels turning ?

thks in advance

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
It will charge while idling and from memory when i put my volt meter on mine is was 14 volt when idling

·
Premium Member
7,850 Posts
Engine running will start charging system and will range from 14.2V to 15.2V depending on your RPM.
16-36 Electrical system-Versys Service manual.

:cheers:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok guys

dunno why somehow suspected it only charged when wheels turning (rather silly of me I know)

The vivi has been stopped for 2 days in a row for the first time due to heavy rain in the area, with the remote alarm turned on. This alarm (clifford gp1000t) goes into sleep mode after 48 hours to drain less power (about 3ma when in sleep mode, about 5ma when in normal mode).

I was worried the battery could get drained after a few days, but now i know I can just have the engine running for 10-20 minutes to help out a bit overtime, just for a couple of days not riding.

pretty clear now, thks for the quick answer.!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Electrical power is produced by the bike's alternator which has a stator (some magnets arranged with coils of wires around it). The electric produced however is AC (Alternating Current).
To charge the battery, this AC is converted to DC (Direct Current) by the rectifier or regulator.

A fully charged battery should show 12.6 DC Volts.
The alternator (charging system) will charge the battery whenever the DC generated is above the battery voltage.

IMHO, the alternator only maintains the battery health.
To fully charge the battery, it's better to get a float charger (like Optimate 4 and others out there).

Would recommend a digital voltmeter onboard the V to see all is good with the alternator. Without starting the bike, you can see the battery state. When the engine's running, the voltmeter (14.0-15V) will show the charging state.

With the bike running, any charging voltage below 14V and more than 15V will tell something is wrong with the rectifier/regulator.

:cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts