Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have 13,000 miles on my '08 Versys and will have roughly 15,000 in June when we leave for Alaska. That trip will put another 10,000 plus on the bike. Should the wheel bearings be replaced prior to the trip or will they go to 25,000 miles and safely beyond?:feedback:

·
Registered
10 Posts
wheel bearings.

The wheel bearings are sealed. They should last till you tire of the bike.
(50,000) miles before I would even think about replacing them.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Currently have 13,000 miles on my '08 Versys and will have roughly 15,000 in June when we leave for Alaska. That trip will put another 10,000 plus on the bike. Should the wheel bearings be replaced prior to the trip or will they go to 25,000 miles and safely beyond?:feedback:
Just a thought, in the likes of our dear friend Gary south of the border, keep we forum members apprised of your trip up to Alaska and back. So encouraging to hear that our bike can make that trek. Need to start doing more Iron Butt rides to firm the arse and break in the wrists, then plan my lengthy endeavor. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
19,629 Posts
Just a thought, in the likes of our dear friend.... Need to start doing more Iron Butt rides to firm the arse and break in the wrists, then plan my lengthy endeavor. :thumb:
You don't need "Iron Butt" rides to prepare for an Alaska trip. :huh:
On those you're just racking up miles... :goodluck:
On an Alaska trip you rack up SMILES!!! :yeahsmile::goodidea:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Currently have 13,000 miles on my '08 Versys and will have roughly 15,000 in June when we leave for Alaska. That trip will put another 10,000 plus on the bike.
Too Tall, where are you leaving from and when?
I'm leaving Kansas June 11th for AK.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bscott,

We'll be leaving from NW Iowa around July 1st. I'll be on a VStrom and the wife on the Versys. My brother and daughter are currently planning a shared one-way each trip on another VStrom. The more people added to a trip, the more diffcult the planning becomes. I prefer almost no plan!

Went in 2006 solo and loved the trip, except for the continual rain. Solo you can simply decide when and where to go and stop.

Best wishes on your trip. What are you riding?

Too Tall

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm riding my Versys.
Going solo.
I dislike group trips for some of the same reasons. Planning is a hassle and never a consensus when a decision needs to me made. Someone always get their knickers in a knot.

I have loose plan, other than leaving and return date of July 3, nothing is set in stone.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
As long as you don't use a pressure washer on your bike or full on hose pressure, your bearings will last years. I had a Valkyrie for 10 years, over 60k miles lost of dirty roads and no bearing issues on a bike almost twice the weight. If its a real worry, its not out of the question to replace them in the field and carry a spare set.

My concern would be the clutch cable. Lube it at both ends on a regular basis and lube the chain every 300miles or so.

Machog

1 - 9 of 9 Posts